Berg and Bush 2012

Beer4Recovery

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome three days of riding and congrats and thanks to the organisers for putting on such a fantastic event in trying conditions. It was a pity some of us came down with a nasty tummy bug on day 2 but that won't stop me from coming back next year.

Proper mountain biking indeed on a course that hasn't been manicured and sanitised like Sani has. I certainly hope it stays that way!

Edited by sometime

Fantastic event! Great route (despite the changes), loads of food & bags of fun.

Thanks to Mike Bike for dragging me around for 3 days, I didn't have the legs. Punctures on days 2 & 3 slowed us down but I can't wait to do this again. Fantastic fast single track going down and super-friendly locals at the waterpoints.

EDIT: Where can you get soft serve at a waterpoint?? Day 3 at Berg & Bush thats where!

We worked well as a team...cant wait for the next one...

here's hoping......

post-7169-0-34308200-1351493659_thumb.jpg

Hope it's accurate Stretch, but you'll have a jol anyway, even if it rains. Parts of the track are so wet ( small parts) that I don't think it will dry completely for months, but it's all good. The route coming down off Spionkop is amazing.... In the slidey bits sometimes you just go sideways, good sport and good for a laugh. All in fantastic route, even with the detour, got to ride in the most awesome areas and scenery, and down a flat out pass that I didn't even know existed.

Well done to all involved.

Hope it's accurate Stretch, but you'll have a jol anyway, even if it rains. Parts of the track are so wet ( small parts) that I don't think it will dry completely for months, but it's all good. The route coming down off Spionkop is amazing.... In the slidey bits sometimes you just go sideways, good sport and good for a laugh. All in fantastic route, even with the detour, got to ride in the most awesome areas and scenery, and down a flat out pass that I didn't even know existed.

Well done to all involved.

Yeah..we are realy looking forward to it...think the gopro will be working overtime!

Awesome three days of riding and congrats and thanks to the organisers for putting on such a fantastic event in trying conditions. It was a pity some of us came down with a nasty tummy bug on day 2 but that won't stop me from coming back next year.

Proper mountain biking indeed on a course that hasn't been manicured and sanitised like Sani has. I certainly hope it stays that way!

+1 on the jippos and proper mountain biking

hows this for service!

"The weather forecast does predict light rain so we have included a complimentary rain jacket in all your goody bags."

hows this for service!

"The weather forecast does predict light rain so we have included a complimentary rain jacket in all your goody bags."

Ya we only got one but never needed it. Was muddy though....

post-32242-0-81465900-1351497407_thumb.jpg

hows this for service!

Nice jacket it is too...

Re gyppos. Don't drink water not marked 'Drinking Water'. It's in the tanks marked 'Drinking Water'.

Watch out for faecal / oral contamination - i.e. wash your hands after using the bogs - there's been people in there with the squits. Don't touch your face between bog and washing hands.

Do that and you should be fine. I was.

Common sense says go get some waterless hand sterilizer - comes in small bottles that are perfect for this type of thing. Else go find some at the end of the portaloos near the bike shop tents.

dave did you retain the jersey?

:)

Unfortunately I did not ride with my partner on the last day (he had damaged his hand) so I rather convincingly lost it.

Had a lot of fun doing it tho - there are a lot of people who REALLY don't want to be behind the green jersey... :)

Are there charging points for mobile phones / garmin's etc in the race village?

Yes - and plenty of plug points.

This is a great race - Gary, Sollie, Glen and co pull all sorts of rabbits out of the hat in terms of responding to not insignificant challenges thrown at them by the weather. Is the reason that I will keep coming back for this and Sani year after year.

Will be wearing the green jersey on day one of next year, so if you feel like shirking your training, just remember the green jersey will be coming up behind you... <insert Jaws music here...> :)

ditto everything that's been said about this event. I've done all 6 of these since the first one in 2006 with 50-odd riders - which was the best multi-stage ride I've done.. Generally I do an event once and move, but this is my exception. If you are a racing snake, go do the 3-day, if you want a chilled proper MTB experience with plenty of friendly banter (and beer), then do the 2-day. See you there..

Y

ditto everything that's been said about this event. I've done all 6 of these since the first one in 2006 with 50-odd riders - which was the best multi-stage ride I've done.. Generally I do an event once and move, but this is my exception. If you are a racing snake, go do the 3-day, if you want a chilled proper MTB experience with plenty of friendly banter (and beer), then do the 2-day. See you there..

Yeh - was surprised by the racing-ness of the Descent - I had been told it was pretty chilled, but for chilledness it has nothing on Sani Adventure.

Maybe the Great Trek is the one to do for entertainment/humour value?

Y

Yeh - was surprised by the racing-ness of the Descent - I had been told it was pretty chilled, but for chilledness it has nothing on Sani Adventure.

Maybe the Great Trek is the one to do for entertainment/humour value?

There was plenty racing going on around me, that's for sure. Batches work really though, amazing how you seem to end up riding around and seeing the same faces all the way through. Ous were racing down Puffadder at pace!