Berg and Bush 2012

Beer4Recovery

What a belter of an event. I don't think I have ever finished an event looking for a pen so I could sign up for the next years event, but I started scratching around while I was still covered in mud and could hardly breath!! The moment those entries become available I will be there.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What were the goody bags like?

they were lekker, rain jacket, golf shirt, cap, socks, energy stuff, bottle,

Well done guys! My turn this weekend. Only issue is I've been down with gastro since friday so couldn't ride this whole weekend. Got some antibiotics today, doc reckons I'll be fine by weekend. Do u think rest and weight loss will be as helpful as a ride this weekend :( anyway can only do my best, am still excited!

Well done guys! My turn this weekend. Only issue is I've been down with gastro since friday so couldn't ride this whole weekend. Got some antibiotics today, doc reckons I'll be fine by weekend. Do u think rest and weight loss will be as helpful as a ride this weekend sad.png anyway can only do my best, am still excited!

Just let me know who you are, dont want to be behind you in case you start "backfiring"

Re gyppos. Don't drink water not marked 'Drinking Water'. It's in the tanks marked 'Drinking Water'.

Watch out for faecal / oral contamination - i.e. wash your hands after using the bogs - there's been people in there with the squits. Don't touch your face between bog and washing hands.

Do that and you should be fine. I was.

Common sense says go get some waterless hand sterilizer - comes in small bottles that are perfect for this type of thing. Else go find some at the end of the portaloos near the bike shop tents.

All good common sense stuff from the Green Jersey man, but I had a mate who stayed outside the camp, didn't use the camp toilets, water etc and got the gyppo's real bad. I'm guessing there was a bad batch of food/water either on one of the water points or in the camp itself.

Just let me know who you are, dont want to be behind you in case you start "backfiring"

You'll be right at home with all the Gippos experienced this weekend eek.gif .

On our way to the Great Trek.

But I feel like I might be getting sick ????.

How difficult is day one? The profile looks mostly downhill.

If I am not feeling 100, will I be able to coast through this day...

Great event again. It was really muddy and I just dont know how Solly and Gary got those routes together so quickly. This event has the best waterpoints in mountain biking bar none! (okay, I havent ridden every race, but these are spectacular). eek.gif You just cannot believe the effort the locals put in, so for those of you out there this week, take time to enjoy them and appreciate the effort. WOW, cant say enough. Get those pumpkin fritter at WP 1 on day 2.clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif they are worth the ride just by themselves. I was lucky enough to miss the gippo's so remember to stock up on Immodium and Probiotics. I could of made enough with the box of Immodium I had to pay for next years entry! clap.gif . The Powasol bike wash wasn't as it should be but in all fairness those bikes were a horrid clay mud mess. I was just happy that they managed to get the drivetrains clean and lubed. If you were expecting showroom condition out the washbay, I think you should lower your expectations. Those blokes worked until nearly midnight on those bikes. There were also plenty guys asking for them to wash bikes who didnt book the bikewash which put additional pressure on them, but they still did it and didnt turn anyone away.

Edited by MuddyMike

Fantastic event, beautiful riding, very well organized and had a blast (literally coming out my arse).

Pity about the change in route, but I must congratulate the organizers for their efforts at the last minute. Solly's Folly would have been impossible to ride in the mud.

I think that bolognaise on the first night made everyone sick. Day 2 was a terrible ride for me, was very weak and had to stop for a "pitstop". Every second person I spoke to had the gippos, not cool.

Wish the race photographers were more active though, I rode past a whole lot of photographers who just stood there with their cameras facing the other way and didn't take any pics.

Next year I might do the B&B route. I found the campsite quite noisy at night with all the guys chatting like kids at a sleepover.

Overall very happy to have done it, fantastic event thumbup1.gif

Lol!!! Nope, now I'm going to keep my identity top secret :)

Personally I think the gypos came from the mud. It wasn't just mud remember. Lots of cow and sheep poop in that mushy mix. Found myself getting splattered quite a lot. Everyone had some of it on their faces. Not hard to imagine how it was ingested. Stay away from water bottles on the bike. They get filthy. Even the spout on my hydration pack got muddy