Garmin E500 Questions

The Ghost

Caerus is right you can, have done it myself. Pick a course from someone's workouts on Garmin connect, click on send to device and the garmin communicator plugin will save it as a course on your 500. It will give you breadcrumbs to follow...works well, that is how I find new pieces of singletrack at VG

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Seriously" :)

Def have to try this then.

ok time for me to get back to my PE/JBay thread then, sure some guys send me links to their routes in the area, might try it out then.

G

Another option is to save a workout as a course and then you "dice" yourself and at any point see how far you are ahead or behind relative to where you were previously, works like a charm and I use this function quite a bit. You can customize the screen when following a course to show breadcrumbs(the route), your previous time relative to where you are etc etc.

The 500's biggest drawcard for me is the workouts function which has been added recently, very cool for intervals and strucured workouts that I do indoors

Read that too - no mapping, but can follow uploaded courses. Haven't tried it, sure it was in manual though.

Have you tried that then when the sensor goes on the blink (slipped magnet etc)? I setup mine with a wheel measurement not auto, and when the magnet slipped the GPS didn't take over for speed/distance. Garmin told me it couldn't, but I haven't tried it with Auto for wheel size though. I'm guessing a magnet going out of alignment during a ride will still cause bad readings.

It should be on auto

It should be on auto

It can be for sure .... but I'm not convinced that will allow the GPS to override the sensor if the sensor is still present, but giving bad data due to magnet slippage. Everything I've read suggests not, although my magnet slip wasn't when set on auto so I can't be sure.

I know my exact wheel circumference because I measured it - so unless auto offers this extra feature, I'll stick to manual

"Seriously" :)

Def have to try this then.

ok time for me to get back to my PE/JBay thread then, sure some guys send me links to their routes in the area, might try it out then.

G

Its one of the reasons I went with the Edge 500 :thumbup: Not actually done it yet, but hope too soonish. There needs to be a better way of sharing files amoungst Garmin users. Is there a website you can go to?

Its one of the reasons I went with the Edge 500 :thumbup: Not actually done it yet, but hope too soonish. There needs to be a better way of sharing files amoungst Garmin users. Is there a website you can go to?

I wish there was but alas...The first thing I normally ask for when I see someone posting a lekka route is the link to garmin connect...Another way is obviously sharing routes with friends and clubs and another way is actually zooming to a place or known start of a trail and searching for key words...in my case "van gaalens" or VG or "daggapad"...etc etc I then compare their routes to mine and see where there are some new pieces I want to try and download as a course

I wish there was but alas...The first thing I normally ask for when I see someone posting a lekka route is the link to garmin connect...Another way is obviously sharing routes with friends and clubs and another way is actually zooming to a place or known start of a trail and searching for key words...in my case "van gaalens" or VG or "daggapad"...etc etc I then compare their routes to mine and see where there are some new pieces I want to try and download as a course

Haven't tried downloading other peoples routes, but I also use Strava to compare routes and rides with friends.

Why dont you start something like this? On the Hub, cloud service, or a website.

Why dont you start something like this? On the Hub, cloud service, or a website.

My computer knowledge extends as far as using various software packages, would not even know where to begin. Would you pay for such a service and how would revenue be brought in? Purely from advertising?