Towing kids

doris

An3 and GuyP....from what age can you start using the halfwheeler? My laaitie is 2 years 4 months and can ride his balance bike feet up no problem and he's fairly wild on it...I'm bit worried he'll lose focus, let go of the bars and go flying off the half-wheeler the same way he thought it would be a good idea to climb off a swing in full flight the other day.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An3 and GuyP....from what age can you start using the halfwheeler? My laaitie is 2 years 4 months and can ride his balance bike feet up no problem and he's fairly wild on it...I'm bit worried he'll lose focus, let go of the bars and go flying off the half-wheeler the same way he thought it would be a good idea to climb off a swing in full flight the other day.

XTC1, my daughter, who was always tall for her age could pretty much do it from about 3yrs, while I think my son was 4 before he could fit properly.

As soon as they could sit on the saddle at its lowest point and comfortably reach the pedals was good enough for us given that they were already familiar with their own bikes (and helmets) from 2yrs already, albeit that they might have been on training wheels when they started.

Like most things, try slowly, ride short distances, working with them to help them gain their confidence and balance. It was great that my wife was riding behind, thereby able to teach our kids the finer points of basic cycling while I was working on keeping everything balanced up front! It won't take long before they're capable of some fairly hectic stuff, which turns out to be fun both for dad and kids!

• 1 month later...

Guys - got the half wheeler as was out in the cradle this arvie - wow takes some getting used to :) really great training and the kids loved it - it is a winner and highly advisable guys :)

http://www.parentmania.com/chat/uploads/post-197-0-46013300-1337531098_thumb.jpg

I luckely don't have kids small enough to use any of these (maybe one day grand children), but i was just wondering how safe is these trailers. Most of my cycling is being done off road and some terrain can get a ruff with some down drops act.....how will these handle it? Also, single track ridding with some short switch back turn act. I can understand that it will work for road cycling, but most of these trailers is behind mountan bikes so it made me curious if people is actually using it on proper mountain bike terrain?

Anyway, I still love the idea as this is a awesome family sport!

I would imagine that they are best suited to flat dirt roads. The kids cant do tech stuff on their own bikes, so I imagine the same would apply here.

Excellent topic! Question re the weeride: does it interfere with your pedalstroke or position at all? Have a fairly aggressive setup on my commuter, so looking at the angles not sure it will work? Can't wait to get the babba on the bike!

I use one of these for my little guy.

It cost me R450 here on the hub,

It is a bar for his feet to rest on with a saddle that fits on the top tube.

Works brilliant.

He loves the fact that he can steer and brake and use the gears, he is learning how to do all of that.

Plus he is balanced in the middle of the bike, so bike control is much easier.

I used to have a rear fitting Giant seat, but he hated that,.

At least now he doesnt have to stare at my backside whilst riding.

I will probably upgrade him to a half bike when he is a bit older.

post-18409-0-84431400-1337585458.jpg

Hey Wayne, from what age can your little guy ride on that top tube seat? Mine is currently in an iBert but given how wild he is on his scoot bike this looks like a good next step.

I took him out in the trailer yesterday but it doesn't take him long to get bored in there.

Excellent topic! Question re the weeride: does it interfere with your pedalstroke or position at all? Have a fairly aggressive setup on my commuter, so looking at the angles not sure it will work? Can't wait to get the babba on the bike!

You can't stand up on the pedals with the seat in place. You have to pedal with your knees slightly further apart but on my medium frame bike the iBert is not too invasive.

Hey Wayne, from what age can your little guy ride on that top tube seat? Mine is currently in an iBert but given how wild he is on his scoot bike this looks like a good next step.

I took him out in the trailer yesterday but it doesn't take him long to get bored in there.

My little man is two.

There is a slight adjustment but nothing major, you are able to move the seat on the centre mounted bar - perfect for a commuter.

the half wheeler works independently on its own - still getting sued to it - it does certainly give your core a work out keeping it upright however down hill @ 42 km's an hour was fun :D - have room for improvement though

Last year's TdF they showed a dad and his kid on a half-wheeler/trailer bike pacing the peloton on a cycle path that runs next to the road....they did very well....even offered to help pull at the front :clap:

I just think it looked awesome :thumbup: