Bike Carriers - Menabo

Vitathion

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

there are varoius retailer (see www.iqabi.com) and online dealers (www.rackandcarry.co.za/ www.buycycle.co.za) who sell Menabo bike racks.

Cheers

I know my post count is just as low but the OP registering just to make the post is suspicious.

Although it doesn't make the product any less worthwhile.

Edited by Goobacks

Here is an email I had sent and a response I got from rack and carry. It provides some good info on racks in general. My words in black and the response in red:

I have done a little bit more reading up on the various units and prices you have sent me. From the look of it there are 5 I am considering at present. They are listed below in order of their price. I would like to know which you would recommend.

Thule Ride On - R3 379 (RRP R3 499) - Entry level bike rack – no locks for bikes or lock to car (optional extras), webbed straps to tie down wheels & to support bike upright, poor tilt mechanism, steel, well known make.

Menabo Winny Plus - 4 195 – New in RSA – Mid to upper level rack, made in Italy, locks bikes to rack & rack to car, ratchet straps for securing wheels to platform, solid arms with jaws for supporting bike upright, good tilt, nice long handle for mounting the rack onto the towbar, comes in a flatpack so you have to assemble the rack, aluminium & steel, not well known in RSA, durability unknown.

Thule Euroride - R4 579 (RRP R4 999) – Mid Level rack – no locks for bikes (optional extra), webbed straps to tie down wheels, good tilt if looked after, steel, well known make.

Buzzrack - R 4 600 (RRP R5 216) – USA designed – upper level rack, locks bikes to rack & rack to car, hard ratchet straps for securing wheels to platform, solid arms with jaws for supporting bikes upright, good tilt, easy mounting of rack to towbar, steel, nice rack, a bit heavier than the Thule or Menabo. Durability not known.

Atera Strada sport - R 5 150 (RRP R5400) Made in Germany, upper level rack, locks bikes to rack (clutch mechanism) & rack to car, ratchet straps for securing wheels to platform, solid arms with wrap around strap mechanism with clutch, tilt OK (lube joints & pivots for easier tilting), steel & aluminium, light, 4th bike adaptor option, double action mechanism for fitting rack onto towbar (takes a couple of times to get used to), a good bike rack.

Some considerations to take into account. I originally planned to spend R3 500, which means that the Ride On is the only in that price range. If well motivated I can increase what I am willing to spend. The Atera Strada I know you highly recommend from your datasheet, but it could be a bit too much of a stretch for the budget. Can you motivate to me, why I should consider spending R800 - R1200 more for the Winny Plus, Euroride or the Buzzrack over the Ride On unit? How would you rate these units compared with one another. It is your decision but 3 months down the line you may have wished that you had paid that little bit more, the Ride On is a base rack.

The following consideration are important to me:

• Value for money Buzzrack, Menabo
  • Ease of securing the unit onto the towbar (including weight of the unit) Menabo, Euroride, Buzzrack.
  • Ease of securing the bikes in place (usually 3 bikes will be fitted) Atera, Buzzrack
  • Protection of the bikes against scratches once secured. Buzzrack, Atera, Euroride
  • Stability of the unit when driving at 120 km/h – pretty much all the same (no manufacturer guarantees the rack when driven off road).
  • Locking the unit to the towbar and the bikes to the unit Buzzrack, Atera, Menabo
  • Storing away the unit (Size of the unit and does it fold up easily. If fitting the bikes requires a larger unit for ease of fit, then ease of fitting the bikes is more important) All racks have pretty much the same footprint with distances between the bikes much the same

Edited by MichaelD

I also own a buzz rack - they have been around a while and you can buy them at sportmanswarehouse

I know my post count is just as low but the OP registering just to make the post is suspicious.

Although it doesn't make the product any less worthwhile.

I agree.

It is spam.

But i suppose bike related good deal spam is ok.

• 4 months later...

Great prices and good service from Rack and Carry in Knysna. Bought a Buzzrack. His got a bigger variety than some of the guys in Cape Town.