Bibs - Cape Storm or First Ascent?

Caerus

There were some Santini Bibs that I have saw for R650 and another model going for R1100, not sure what they are like either.

Noob.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to tell how long bibs should last. I have several pairs that I rotate, but riding 4-5 times a week my Nitros lasted <2 yrs. I know guys with Assos - same story: after a year or two they are see thru. As for comfort, slap on enough BodyGlide and I can ride in a pair of jeans and jockeys!

I need to get a new pair of Bib Shorts and am not looking to spend to much money, my last Anotomic pair have served me well, but have fallen apart within two years, this after spending R1500 on them.

I've been through previous threads but as this is now 2012, need some more updated advice. Are there particular models in the above mentioned makes to look out for?

Any other recommendations are also welcome.

Try out Rockets/Medac. You can buy ready-made or you can have a pair custom-made for you. I have been riding with them for close to a year now and rate them extremely high.

If you want to buy exotic, have a look at Giordana. I'm told they are good shorts and better value for money than Assos.

I need to find a shop that actually has a decent range, over two days now, I've not even been able try on a single pair( 4 LBS stores and 2 Sportsmens warehouse later) So frustrating, I'm just worried about buying without trying things on, especially when I may have to spend more then anticipated.

+1

I learnt the "hard" way haha....bust my backside on some real bargains....never again.

These have carbon fibre sewn into them :eek: 3%, no wonder they cost R1900, lol. Short or long versions? Can you feel the built in stabiliser at work?

I bought a pair or bibs for use on my road bike from a local manufacturer. I think they are 8 panel lycra bibs with the silicone elastic thingy on the leg seams. You can try on a standard pair at her "factory" and customize them to suit your style, needs, bodyshape (i.e. leg length, bib straps etc). She uses an imported chamois pad and the best thing is that they are around the R300-R400 mark. I am not doing 15 hours a week but I have had mine for a while and still going strong. At that price you could afford to buy a pair and give them a bash. PM me for details if you are interested.

Im going to go check out Dave Wiseman & Cyclesphere this week, seems they are the only ones that hold stock of bibs.

Anatomic qaulity issue it seems same issue falling apart my Mr Price sport 1 last longer. Endurance good quality or Craft

all relative my 3k pair of assos bibs also fell apart after a year. i did get my money's worth during the year and will gladly buy another pair.

all relative my 3k pair of assos bibs also fell apart after a year. i did get my money's worth during the year and will gladly buy another pair.

To spend 3k on a pair of bibs that fall apart after a year is crazy, I would rather use half that for something else, seems the Anatomic I had was not bad for two years of wear for R1500, could have had a slightly better padded chamois.

I have 3 pairs of the Nitro's I got when they were cheap when they launched.

- The Printing will start peeling quite quickly.

- The mens small is not small, well maybe for people in SA but I wear about a size 30 and they saggy in the chamois area, so check your sizing.

- Have done lots or road and mtb rides with including stage races like magalies spending 6 hours in them, no issues.

I have a pair of the FA shorts, the previous design where the legs were short so they look like girly shorts.

I have a medium and the fit is great, much more of a euro sizing they use.

I would say try the FA bibs as they are cheaper and easier to find that CS and fit better IMO.

Then I have the previous model Matrix bibs, which I've had since 2009 now.

My absolute favourite bibs, I will ride them till they fall apart :)

To spend 3k on a pair of bibs that fall apart after a year is crazy, I would rather use half that for something else, seems the Anatomic I had was not bad for two years of wear for R1500, could have had a slightly better padded chamois.

oh its so worth it, i cringe now everytime i have to put on my cape storm nitro's they just well ..... suck compared to assos.

I need to find a shop that actually has a decent range, over two days now, I've not even been able try on a single pair( 4 LBS stores and 2 Sportsmens warehouse later) So frustrating, I'm just worried about buying without trying things on, especially when I may have to spend more then anticipated.

sportsmens warehouse tried to sell my ladies first ascent pants, when i asked where the mens were - they told me they were unisex!

I have had first ascent in the past and always been happy - have lasted for years. That said, i am in a size dilemna at the moment and sent FA an email to which they have not responded - thanks for reminding me - going to contact them now - cos i am sure i have bought a defect pair

oh its so worth it, i cringe now everytime i have to put on my cape storm nitro's they just well ..... suck compared to assos.

I should jolly well hope so at that price, do they help you climb better or ride faster as well fix mechanicals if needed?