weight weeny!

Louis for real

Screw weight ... my priorities are firstly for a superb handling frame followed by good suspension and wheels .... components and the rest are based on reliability and comfort .... if all of these come in at a decent weight I am happy, if it is a little on the porky side I just end up being stronger after a couple of rides.

It would be nice to get all of the above though at a great weight every time and at a good price!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you consider to be fun is different to what I regard as fun, who says racing isn't fun? maybe for you...see it's all relative. We are all on bikes...it really doesn't matter how you are having fun, as bushpig says...enjoy your time in the saddle no matter the dicipline or take up jukskei

Buy whats imortant to you. You like bling? Buy it. You want a comfy bike? Buy it.

I don't get this "you should buy to you fitness level" bollocks. If that were true most racers would be on Deore because compared to the pros who ride XTR/XX we are shyte and don't deserve nice bikes. Bollocks I say - buy what makes you happy be it bling carbon, slightly heavier and cheaper alu, "cult" steel, rare titanium whatever. It matters not what it cost but how happy it makes YOU.

Buy whats imortant to you. You like bling? Buy it. You want a comfy bike? Buy it.

I don't get this "you should buy to you fitness level" bollocks. If that were true most racers would be on Deore because compared to the pros who ride XTR/XX we are shyte and don't deserve nice bikes. Bollocks I say - buy what makes you happy be it bling carbon, slightly heavier and cheaper alu, "cult" steel, rare titanium whatever. It matters not what it cost but how happy it makes YOU.

+1 Although, if you arent a lean mean cycling machine yet, it may be ALOT cheaper to try and lose weight first before paying R1000 to lose 200-300g per component.

Can't agree with you more! If you can afford a R80K and you like the colour, despite guys on Silverbacks being able to drop you, buy it! And if it matches your car and your house, even more reason to get it.

The lighter the bike,the easier it is to carry over obstacles and hills ;)

so why not then get a bike with decent(120-150mm) travel and then just ride over them?

the reason i ask this is, look at the new breed of all mountain bikes the sometimes weigh as little as 12.5kg and have the suspension(comfort) that the average bloke wants?

i weigh 58kg my first bike was a 13.2kg beast but i raced and won(once) on it.

and i certainly rode that as fast if not faster than the guys on lightweight bikes.

so why buy a 60,70,80k 100mm racebike if you can spend the same amount on a darnit dang good Machine

So let me try and understand

Travel of 120mm - 150mm = ability to clear obstacles = fun....yes? Anything less than that and you are not having fun and then you are racing.

So let me try and understand

Travel of 120mm - 150mm = ability to clear obstacles = fun....yes? Anything less than that and you are not having fun and then you are racing.

forget the word race for a second and focus on the original question...

and that folks that is why there are a number of them weight weeny folk around

the word race got gloryfied by a magazine and all the sheep follow the lighter is better cause i do not want to loose 2 seconds on a hill because my bike weighs 400g heavier than yours mentallity.

if thats your mantra good for you.

if you can afford it great.......

so no-

you dont understand what i am trying to say...

why do someone drive an BMW M3 instead of a normal 3.2 diesel?

1. he likes it

2. his friends like it

3. he wants to feel like an F1 driver when he gets behind the wheel

4. he can afford it (only true sometimes, but at least you can say he got finance for it).

The 3.2 Diesel is more practical, comfortable, cheaper to maintain (tyres) and will have better re-sale value. Most of us buy expensive toys because we can. It all is of course relative. If I pay R80k for a brand new Specialized Epic Carbon 29'er, there will be someone that just paid R200k to have Sauser / Stander's bike with the same specs, just in custom colours.

why do someone drive an BMW M3 instead of a normal 3.2 diesel?

1. he likes it

2. his friends like it

3. he wants to feel like an F1 driver when he gets behind the wheel

4. he can afford it (only true sometimes, but at least you can say he got finance for it).

The 3.2 Diesel is more practical, comfortable, cheaper to maintain (tyres) and will have better re-sale value. Most of us buy expensive toys because we can. It all is of course relative. If I pay R80k for a brand new Specialized Epic Carbon 29'er, there will be someone that just paid R200k to have Sauser / Stander's bike with the same specs, just in custom colours.

Who buys Beemers??

And your comment on resale value... Not true for BMW Fact.

forget the word race for a second and focus on the original question... and that folks that is why there are a number of them weight weeny folk around the word race got gloryfied by a magazine and all the sheep follow the lighter is better cause i do not want to loose 2 seconds on a hill because my bike weighs 400g heavier than yours mentallity. if thats your mantra good for you. if you can afford it great....... so no- you dont understand what i am trying to say...

Ok I will bite...to quote you

"Why are the majority of SA mountain bikers weight weeny's when they should be more interested in fun than racing?"

So let's focus on your question, and I am sincerely trying to understand your point here. What gives you the right to tell other people what is fun...what amount of travel to have and what is an acceptable weight for my bike? Did it occur to you that upgrading my bike to lose 12grams is fun for me even it costs alot of money...or that believe it or not I like participating in events aka racing....or that and this is gonna knock you for a six, that when I train and do intervals I actually enjoy it because it will help me with my climbing???

For the record I am a midpack mtb'er and by no means a snake, but I love my bike and the fact that it's specced far above my capabilities as a racer. I think you need to worry less about other people's bikes / diciplines.

Inevitably what starts as a fun hobby becomes more and more competitive. It starts among mates and snowballs from there.

Who buys Beemers??

And your comment on resale value... Not true for BMW Fact.

I drive Audi's, but used this as an example. A FACT is that a Diesel BMW will lose approx 35 to 45% of its value over 3 years on 15 000 km a year and the equivalent M3 would lose 60% plus for the same milage over the same period. Rouxie summed it up nicely.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by MorewoodMad

I think the buy according to your skill is aimed at the bottom end of the scale, i.e. people buying 100k bikes but cant ride 10km and doesnt have a clue what ST is.

Now we can fight and debate it all we want to. But thats an acurate comment regardless of your personal feelings. Yes once we get into the sport we do oodles of research we like to upgrade and bling up our beasts and before you know it your eating ponutro for the rest of the month cause you conviced yourself you need that 2k stem. Most of us have been there once or twice.

Hell im currently contimplating if i want this to be a pronutro month or not. by putting new stuff on a 1month old bike, Do i need it .. no i dont do i want it .... yes i do. Does my skill level dictate what i am buying .. yes it does. Im a medium level mountainbiker, upping the functionaility of my bike with components that suit my riding style. But alas i do like the bling, i love the research and buying new kit is always a good motivator to go ride and test it.