Bike Rack Number Plates

flymango

Does anybody know if there is a traffic ordinance/regulation which stipulates that the number plate on a bike rack must correlate with that of the vehicle to which it is attached? We are taking my wife's car camping this Easter weekend, and putting on the bike rack which has my car's number plate on it. If I take proof of my car's registration with me, will that be enough or will I be liable for a fine?

Slightly off topic on my own opening post, but my query reminds me of a favorite army story: I was talking to an old school mate in the lines outside the "menasie" one lunchtime when the corporal on duty caught me and shouted "Troep!! Sien jy daai boom? Gaan pluk vir my n blaar!!!" So I ran the 200 odd meters to the tree and reckoned I'd be one up on the corporal and picked a small and large leaf, one of which I put into my pocket. When I halted in front of the corporal and presented the leaf, he yelled "die blaar is te klein, gaan pluk n grooter een!!" At this moment I proudly put my hand into my pocket and produced the larger leaf. Needless to say everybody burst out laughing except the corporal, and about one hour later I was still having my regrets.

So imagine my joy if I'm stopped and can produce my registration papers, assuming I'm not liable for a fine.

Does anybody know if there is a traffic ordinance/regulation which stipulates that the number plate on a bike rack must correlate with that of the vehicle to which it is attached? We are taking my wife's car camping this Easter weekend, and putting on the bike rack which has my car's number plate on it. If I take proof of my car's registration with me, will that be enough or will I be liable for a fine?

Slightly off topic on my own opening post, but my query reminds me of a favorite army story: I was talking to an old school mate in the lines outside the "menasie" one lunchtime when the corporal on duty caught me and shouted "Troep!! Sien jy daai boom? Gaan pluk vir my n blaar!!!" So I ran the 200 odd meters to the tree and reckoned I'd be one up on the corporal and picked a small and large leaf, one of which I put into my pocket. When I halted in front of the corporal and presented the leaf, he yelled "die blaar is te klein, gaan pluk n grooter een!!" At this moment I proudly put my hand into my pocket and produced the larger leaf. Needless to say everybody burst out laughing except the corporal, and about one hour later I was still having my regrets.

So imagine my joy if I'm stopped and can produce my registration papers, assuming I'm not liable for a fine.

Not sure on the legalities, but i think having two different plates might open you up for trouble.

Regardless of if you have the papers.

Perhaps its easier just to quickly get a new plate made?

Just take it off, act stooopid when they stop you, thats if they stop you. I wish I had done the same when I came down to Cape Town in December, I got 4 fines :cursing: All small though. First time in my life and I get four in one trip.

Also, if you are caught by a camera from the rear, and the plate on the system is for a toyota hilux, but it is attached to a toyota tazz, surely this will cause troubles with the cops?

It means you could effectively go and claim that someone has stolen your plate and put it on another vehicle and get the fine squashed based on the fact that it is not the same as the registered vehicle and i think they might think that to be a bit fraudulent.

I am not saying you will do that, but they might argue that you could.

Just take it off, act stooopid when they stop you, thats if they stop you. I wish I had done the same when I came down to Cape Town in December, I got 4 fines :cursing: All small though. First time in my life and I get four in one trip.

Gess dude, i have gotten 4 in one hour.

Went to the municipality in a hurry.

Thought it was an 80km road (it was 60), went to the municipality, forgot a document at the house and went back.

Each fine Was R200.

They were trapping on both sides of the road and they caught me each time.

Not sure on the legalities, but i think having two different plates might open you up for trouble.

Regardless of if you have the papers.

Perhaps its easier just to quickly get a new plate made?

You're probably right except for the hassle factor which I'm trying to avoid and a long "to do" list before Thursday, including doing some real work.

Also, if you are caught by a camera from the rear, and the plate on the system is for a toyota hilux, but it is attached to a toyota tazz, surely this will cause troubles with the cops?

It means you could effectively go and claim that someone has stolen your plate and put it on another vehicle and get the fine squashed based on the fact that it is not the same as the registered vehicle and i think they might think that to be a bit fraudulent.

I am not saying you will do that, but they might argue that you could.

Well they would get the bike rack number plate as the car's plate would be obscured, and I'm sure my fine will arrive at home (assuming I'm speeding of course ;) ). Maybe that answers my own question? :whistling:

You're probably right except for the hassle factor which I'm trying to avoid and a long "to do" list before Thursday, including doing some real work.

Dude, it's hardly a hassle... Go to a numberplate printing place, give them the number (and a copy of the log book to prove that it is your car) a copy of your ID and then go do some other errands while you wait for it to be stamped out. Plus, you'll then have one for any future escapades!

The hundred bucks or whatever is small change compared to the peace of mind and potential fines you'll get.

Section 35. Display of licence number

(6) No person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle—

(a) on which a licence number or anything purporting to be a licence number, which is not

applicable to such vehicle, is displayed;

however

(g) in or on which a number plate is carried on which a licence number appears which is

not applicable to such motor vehicle or anything purporting to be a licence number,

unless he or she provides evidence that such plate was not carried with criminal intent;

I'd rather not be arguing criminal intent on my way to a holiday with my wife and kids in the car.

with the rack attached to the vehicle it becomes part of it. Attaching any number plate other than which was issued to the vehicle will be illegal. Even with legal documentation for another vehicle the traffic authorities will not understand reason.

If the back numberplate on the vehicle can be removed, attach it to the rack with cable ties. Otherwise get a paper number plate from a signage shop. Will not cost you morer than R30-00.

Section 35. Display of licence number

(6) No person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle—

(a) on which a licence number or anything purporting to be a licence number, which is not

applicable to such vehicle, is displayed;

however

(g) in or on which a number plate is carried on which a licence number appears which is

not applicable to such motor vehicle or anything purporting to be a licence number,

unless he or she provides evidence that such plate was not carried with criminal intent;

I'd rather not be arguing criminal intent on my way to a holiday with my wife and kids in the car.

Thanks. The answer I was looking for. I'll get the plate made, but suspect a copy of my car's licence papers may also meet the provisions of (g).

The relevant charges from AARTO are:

1207 - Vehicle with a number plate not clearly legible or visible - Reg. 35(2)(e) I R500 1pt

1212 - Displayed a licence number, or anything purporting to be a licence number, not applicable to the vehicle - Reg. 35(6)(a) O R0 6pt

If you put the wrong plate on, it's an offence, with no option of a fine. You would have to appear in court or negotiate with the prosecutor if you wanted to argue a lack of criminal intent. IN other words, a serious mission.

If you leave the plate off, it's and infringement which would result in a R500 fine (discounted to R250 if paid on time).

If you can't get a plate in time, then definitely go for the option of just leaving off a plate, rather than using the wrong one.

Edited by Edam

As I understand it, it's very simple. The purpose of a normal number plate is to identify a car and the purpose of a bike rack number plate is to identify a car whose own number plate is hidden by the bike rack in question.

How is the number plate attached to your wife's car? It might be possible to take it off temporarily and attach it to the bike rack.