Spoke Lengths - What to order?

Caerus

Hi all,

I'm wanting to build a new set of 26" Stans Crest rims(3 Cross), I will be using Hope Pro 2 Hubs front & back. I will be using DT Swiss Revolution Spokes(2-1.5mm)that I will buy from CRC.

So my question is this, how do I work out the spoke lengths and be 100%? I've used 3 different online Spoke Calculators and I've asked the person building the wheel for spoke lengths, but all four are different.

The wheel builder says I need 36 @ 262mm & 36 @ 264mm,I'm sure he is 100% correct, but his measurements are way different to what I got. I need to get this right first time.

Anyone else done this paticular wheel build before and know offhand?

Many Thanks

Thanks.I've sent him a PM, but he has not been online for 5 days, just want to make use of the 15 pounds discount on offer today. So hopefully I can get an answer today.

I've used this, so far, so good:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

Thats one of the 3 I used, Im sure if he has possibly got it wrong he can just replace them with his own stock, they are half the price at CRC then local, plus 15 quid off makes sense to get them at CRC

If CRC are building the wheel they can tell you what you need.I made a mistake when i ordered my wheels and they corrected it when they built the wheels.

If CRC are building the wheel they can tell you what you need.I made a mistake when i ordered my wheels and they corrected it when they built the wheels.

The wheels are being built here. I got a great deal on the rims, and just moving hubs over to the new build. I've mailed Stans & CRC, no response from them though.

Go to Stan's website. They have a technical section...let me google that for you...

Thanks my good man :thumbup: I checked out the table in the Tech section, and these figures are even different to what the wheelbuilder stipulated. Edited by Caerus

Order the ones that the wheelbuilder recommended. If they're the wrong length, it's his problem.

Order the ones that the wheelbuilder recommended. If they're the wrong length, it's his problem.

Thats what I was thinking.

Thats what I was thinking.

+1

The wheel builder says I need 36 @ 262mm & 36 @ 264mm,I'm sure he is 100% correct, but his measurements are way different to what I got. I need to get this right first time.

Did a quick check using your parts and JB's spoke calculator and database. I get numbers very close to these. Use these lengths.

Bear in mind that you need to add 2-3mm to the spoke lengths that some spoke calculators give you - this could explain the difference.

Edited by Edam

Did a quick check using your parts and JB's spoke calculator and database. I get numbers very close to these. Use these lengths.

Bear in mind that you need to add 2-3mm to the spoke lengths that some spoke calculators give you - this could explain the difference.

Thats the thing, the spokes suggested were 3mm longer then the size I got given by the wheelbuilder, from the research I've done it says to rather round down then up.

He is a proffesional, if he has got it wrong its on his head, I'll call him back for him to re-check, he did say in the message I needed 64 of each length to begin with.

I've sent another message to Stans Tech Dept as well. Lets hope they answer me this time.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

from the research I've done it says to rather round down then up.

Now I'm beginning to doubt my memory. Could be I was told to round down and not up.