can you be fit if you have a high resting heart rate?

I would like to consider my self fit;

I cycle around 300km per week and go to gym 4 times a week. But my resting heart rate is around 105 is that normal. I'm 16

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if its age appropriate, how long have you been cycling? I am 44 cycling for many years and my resting heartrate is between 48 and 50 (I don't concider myself fit though)

Yes you can, but that does seem a bit high. Y what you need to look at is your usable heart rate. I.e. the difference between your resting and max HR.

Mmmmm..... under 50 bpm. Are you checking in the morning as you get up or during the day? what you might be getting is your ambient heart rate. The best measure for fitness is heart rate recovery. the time it takes to drop from 80% of max to 60%

Mmmmm..... under 50 bpm. Are you checking in the morning as you get up or during the day? what you might be getting is your ambient heart rate. The best measure for fitness is heart rate recovery. the time it takes to drop from 80% of max to 60%

How old are you? Im at 65 and I'm 35 years old.

I'm a shade under 40. My resting rate is around 45, If you have even the slightest hint of an infection or a cold that rate will be higher.

I'm a shade under 40. My resting rate is around 45, If you have even the slightest hint of an infection or a cold that rate will be higher.

How would asthma effect your resting heart rate as opposed to someone without?

Not sure about the asthma. don't think it would but could be wrong. Infection does. Ambient heart rate is as you are moving around during the day. witch in turn is higher than resting. Like I said, recovery is a better indicator of fitness.

I cycle around 300km per week and go to gym 4 times a week. But my resting heart rate is around 105 is that normal. I'm 16

Josh, how are you checking your Resting heart rate. This does not sound correct. Have you got a HRM or how was it done.

I'm 32, resting pulse around 42 or so. A resting rate over 100 isn't right, even as a once off anomaly. The "average" person has a resting pulse of 72 bpm. I recommend you get some tests done. I'm guessing you have a virus or a bug that's lingering somewhere in your system.

Sounds like the 105 bpm is ambient and even that is a tad high.

Lie on the bed for 10 mins then check your heart rate or 1st thing in the morning before moving about.

Sounds like the 105 bpm is ambient and even that is a tad high.

Lie on the bed for 10 mins then check your heart rate or 1st thing in the morning before moving about.

Yup, 1st thing in the morning is best by far, even after 10 mins it won't be very accurate.

42 with a resting heart rate of 55 and a max of 205 and cycle with asthma.

Hoping to get fit one day and drop to 25 bpm.

But in any case Josh, do the test over again ,that is very high.

Josh, asking fitness freaks about their resting heart rate is somewhat like asking fisherman about the size of the catch.... :D

I also think 105 is too high (except for Simano components ;), where I think the higher, the better ).

Check it first thing in the morning by simply putting your finger on your jugular and counting for 1 minute, even before you get out of bed.

If in doubt, let a GP check you out.