can you be fit if you have a high resting heart rate?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, check your heart rate first thing in the morning. That is resting HR.

If you check it just before you ride after being active through the day then it is ambient HOUR.

My RHR is in the 50somethings. If I strap the belt on before a ride it is almost always between 90 and 110.

If you check it correctly, and it is still high, get to a doctor.

Josh, asking fitness freaks about their resting heart rate is somewhat like asking fisherman about the size of the catch.... :D

Exactly the same thing I thought when reading through this thread! :)

I've been cycling for 2 years now. I use a HRM, my Max is 220. should I get it checked out? It goes from Max to avg quite fast. I check my heart rate before I cycle. It is currently 103.

Dude, I have a suspicion you are not accurately measuring your resting heart rate. At the start you claimed a RHR of 105 but in this post, at 13:06 so we can assume you had not just woken from a night's sleep, you say it is 103. When measuring mine a while back even lifting my head to check out the heart rate reading on my phone which was on my chest added about 15bpm to the reading so the slightest movement can make a difference.

I would like to consider my self fit;

I cycle around 300km per week and go to gym 4 times a week. But my resting heart rate is around 105 is that normal. I'm 16

Hmmm, was your girlfriend perhaps in the same room...? :huh: (hint hint)

Like happy hour? Free drink and some smooth music?

Yip, and then you can also like to get all romantic with your training partner.

Blackberry autocorrects "HR" to hour. Negatief.

I've been cycling for 2 years now. I use a HRM, my Max is 220. should I get it checked out? It goes from Max to avg quite fast. I check my heart rate before I cycle. It is currently 103.

If you are checking your HR before you cycle that is not your resting heart rate. You will have been getting changed, walking to the garage, getting your bike out, pumping your tires etc. Mine would probably also be 105 just before I set of for a ride.

Take it as soon as you wake up in the morning before you get out of bed and it will be a lot lower than that.

If you have a max of 220 and you recover quickly then I would say you are pretty fit indeed.

Hi

An average resting heart rate for a normal sedentry person is 72. Fitter people are under that generally with fit people being inthe region of 40-50BPM. My guess with your heart rate (if you are checking it early in the morning whilst lying down flat, arms and legs crossed and you have been relaxing for 3-5min) is that you may be overtrained. Normally fit people who are in a hard training phase have a slightly elevated HR of around 10-15BPM from there resting HR. But when you are overtrained your HR elevates way about this, trying to send enough O2 and glucose t your muscles as possible in order to get it to recover quicker.

My quess is you are maybe training too hard. Do you ever struggle to sleep or wake up sweating? My suggestion would be to take off a week and see what your HR does. If it starts to come down after a few days then that is a good sign it is overtraining. If you see that you need to get some good advice from a proper coach (not just a general discussion on the HUB) to help you get back to a healthy state and then on how to train effectively.

No one wants to do less training or easier training because they think they willl be less fit. But the truth is that training should be structured with hard efforts (were you break your body down) should be followed with easy efforts (where your body actually gets stronger and fitter as it recovers) in general and in quantities that your body can recover from.

If you are just going hard all the time with no or little rest during the week I suggest you get some professional advice.

Good luck! Lets hope that is the problem and not something worse.

Hi

My suggestion would be to take off a week and see what your HR does. If it starts to come down after a few days then that is a good sign it is overtraining. If you see that you need to get some good advice from a proper coach (not just a general discussion on the HUB) to help you get back to a healthy state and then on how to train effectively.

Thanks, I haven't trained properly in the last 3 weeks thanks to flu and operation. I'm going to doc, swart from sports science instatute.

Josh - After just reading thru the whole thread I'm not sure if you have answered the question regarding when you are checking your resting HR?

Did you get the readings of 105 checking it first thing upon waking in the morning or when exactly? Idealy it should be taken while lying down in a fully relaxed state, not after a meal, drinks, coffee etc and your mind needs to be relaxed as well.

Hi Josh

I agree:

- Check HR in morning, afte you went for a wee, but get back into bed and ly down for at least 5 minutes.

- It could be that the anticipation of training is just chasing the HR up (your mind gets the body ready for action)

- Do you take "pre- workout" supplements? Those have stimulants in them and tend to chase HR and BP up...

Do you have other symptoms?

Best to have it checked out...

Josh - After just reading thru the whole thread I'm not sure if you have answered the question regarding when you are checking your resting HR?

Did you get the readings of 105 checking it first thing upon waking in the morning or when exactly? Idealy it

should be taken while lying down in a fully relaxed state, not after a meal, drinks, coffee etc and your mind needs to be relaxed as well.

No I don't, but I will do it soon.

Thanks