Where do I start?

Shotgun

I hope so if possible....but I guess it won't break the bank if it goes to say 12K.

This is the end of the beginning - within a year you will have spent 20k+ and still be planning more, but you will love every minute of it :clap:

Edited by Starry nights

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a proper bike fit done first. Maybe the shop just wants to flog a new bike...

I did not get the idea that they want to sell me a new bike as he actually recommended that I look for a secondhand one. I guess he will not be getting the salesman of the month award.

I did not get the idea that they want to sell me a new bike as he actually recommended that I look for a secondhand one. I guess he will not be getting the salesman of the month award.

Fair enough. I just know enough to not trust a bike shop salesperson.

I hope so if possible....but I guess it won't break the bank if it goes to say 12K.

Thats great then, spend R8k on a very decent 26"hardtail, and you have 4k then for goodies. If you shop wisely you may have even more to spend on the bike, check out the online shops for kit as well, Buycycle, CWC and Easybike to start with.

Check out the hub, good deals to be found and you can always ask if prices are flexible.

Concentrate on the bike first. Be VERY careful when buying second hand. Go with someone who knows about bikes. It may look like a deal but could end up costing you a fortune to get trail ready. Look around. A friend of mine picked up a new Giant something or another for around 8K from the shop on Landsdown road so there are deals out there. If I see something in the next day or 2 I will pm you. Once you have the bike worry about the next problem. Until then I suggest forget about anything else until you have a good machine that fits you. There is a weekend coming up so go to the shops in your area and play them against each other. See what they can do. Most are pretty helpful and once you have started spending money in their shops they know you will be back with more rands so if they are worth anything they will try and look after you. Good luck and keep us up to date.

OK, new s**t came to light. Apparently the bike is a Medium (18 inches) and what I need is a Large - not a XL as previously stated.

Edited by Shotgun

The bib is very necessary.

When you finish a race then you stroll around the mess tents / beer hall / car park with the loopy bits hanging out the back of your broeke.

Kinda like a G-string blowout.

Very smooth.

hahaha

Who is giving you this info on bike sizes? I think you could fit anything between a 19" to a 21" Are you sure about your height? Check this out as well, http://www.ebicycles...ntain-bikes.pdf

I now have it confirmed from two different bike shops - it definitely is an 18 inch and therefor to small. I rode a Large Merida (19inch) from the shop and it really felt a whole lot better for a while until I saw the price... :eek: O yes and I am 1.86 and inseam 84cm

Edited by Shotgun

I now have it confirmed from two different bike shops - it definitely is an 18 inch and therefor to small. I rode a Large Merida (19inch) from the shop and it really felt a whole lot better for a while until I saw the price... :eek:

Then have a look at the bike I posted earlier on this thread, its a 19" Giant XTC for R8K, they were selling other bits & pieces as well.

Then have a look at the bike I posted earlier on this thread, its a 19" Giant XTC for R8K, they were selling other bits & pieces as well.

I think that bike is in the process of being sold. Also, in KZN so I cannot view it.

I think that bike is in the process of being sold. Also, in KZN so I cannot view it.

It aint sold till it says so, do you know anyone in KZN that could possibly have a look for you. It is an option, but there are others in the classifieds in the Western Cape area