Is it legal for cyclists to ride on the pavement?

Skylark

Ok saying it's illegal is one thing, but will you actually be prosecuted for it? Will a cop driving past actually stop you for it?

I think as long as you don't hit a pedestrian who'll sue you for driving where you shouldn't legally be, your good to go.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've started riding the pavements with my motorbike too, it's a great way to avoid traffic, and pedestrians literally jump out of your way when they hear the 650cc single cylinder coming at them!

there is nothing wrong with a good game of Chicken! :whistling:

Ditto. I started using pavement for a stretch of my ride to work some time ago because it's just insane to use the road. At narrow points along the way I always stop and give way to foot traffic, and make prodigious use of my bell (although the number of people with headphones these days often renders this pointless).If you're going to spend any amount of time on pavements, a bell is a must - and in my experience people are glad that you're warning them of your approach and move to the side quite happily.

I'm also looking to do that, at most places, there is no maintainance, its like a bush with single track because of all the people walking there.

Ok saying it's illegal is one thing, but will you actually be prosecuted for it? Will a cop driving past actually stop you for it?

probably not, but that's only because the corrupt bastards have not thought about it yet. so keep it quiet, just now they get an idea and we all get arrested for the insignificant act of riding a bike offroad.

I do a fair amount amount of cycling and running. These days I almost never ride my road bike any more simply because it is too dangerous. My MTB is doing overtime and so is the amount of time spent on pavements and anywhere else I have to ride to be safe. I am always courteous to everyone and no one seems to mind. I think though a bell is a good idea just to let people know you are coming. As for riding 1m from the edge of the road !! frikken no way

I see the google is weak with you.

mmm, work on this i must, having a weak google is of no good.

I must just add one more thing I have noticed a significant increase in the amount of traffic in the suburbs between Randpark ridge, Honeydew and Sandton, Sunninghill over the last 3 weeks. I have also spoken to a number of other people who noticed the same trend. I think people are starting to find their way through the suburbs instead of using the highway in preparation for when the tolls kick in. When this happens we as cyclists, runners and pedestrians are going to be exposed to much greater risk to life and limb than ever before.

May the pavement be with you.

Rule 1: riding on the pavement is, at the very least, not condoned by our law

Rule 2: the law only matters when something goes wrong

Rule 3: something is very likely to go wrong if you ride on pavements without extreme care and courtesy

Rule 4: you may think you can teach anyone a lesson. So does the guy in the Fortuner. One of you will win, but neither of you will learn anything constructive.

Rule 5: it doesn't matter who wins - the survivor/s will still land up in front of a magistrate.

Rule 6: a lot of magistrates drive Fortuners

Rule 7: see Rule 1

Edited by GBguy