SRAM vs SHIMANO

J0KER

Couldn't agree more with Capricorn, there is a reason that most of the downhill guys ride with the unbeatable x9 derailleur. Inclined to agree when it comes to price increase to full xo you won't notice a big difference, that said the shifters on x0 are significantly smoother especially on the longer rides and the new x0 rear dérailleur is a tad smoother than the x9 but replacement cost is high so if you tend to rip off deraillieurs regularly then go x9.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you hit on the more noticeable advantage there North Shore: the trigger action. it's really Crisp on the X.0.

A small nicety on the X.0 trigger shifter, is that you can adjust the upshifter position by loosening a small screw and then turning it to a preferred position. I love little options like that. Not sure one can do that with the X.9.

You can't on the x9 but apparently that will trickle down for next years shifters. Wise man this Capricorn?

SRAM is far better at dealing with mud and the bashing that MTB is likely to produce. The shifting is far smoother than anything from shimano and instantly noticeable. However SRAM is more expensive and especially the xx group set wears out very quickly compared to xtr. I'd go x9 except for the rear dérailleur go xo. Try the elixir 9 2012 brakes, yes the previous generations were pretty bad but the new ones are way better than the xt, most of the x9 group sets downgrade the brakes to elixir 7. Still can't best the formula brakes if you can afford them though.

We ride and race XT here in Tzaneen which is, along with sabie, one of the muddiest places on earth and your statement is bollocks.

Not only does the XT gruppo handle mud very well it is long lasting and much easier to maintain than SRAM.

Use the gruppo in mud and mountains for a few years first and then make claims.

I have nothing against SRAM, it's good equipment, it's just that XT handles our conditions much better.

Edited by TZmtb

I dunno, I have XT and SRAM X9 and prefer SRAM. No tuning needed for months and the gears remain true and they are very rugged and easy to tune.

Im dissapointed with Shimano always use to love them, but SRAM x7 gives better performance than XT. Works better in mud, shifts more precisely, and soooooo much easier to setup and tune. Dont think ill go back to shimano. The X7 came stock with the bike, but cant wait to upgrade, though i doubt ill see a performance increase it will just be a tad lighter and look better than the x7 kit. Hear loads of good things about XT brakes so might give them a go.

We ride and race XT here in Tzaneen which is, along with sabie, one of the muddiest places on earth and your statement is bollocks.

Not only does the XT gruppo handle mud very well it is long lasting and much easier to maintain than SRAM.

Use the gruppo in mud and mountains for a few years first and then make claims.

I have nothing against SRAM, it's good equipment, it's just that XT handles our conditions much better.

with respect I disagree totally. Always had issues with mud and my shimano, and to tune them properly you need a degree in voodoo, embrace the darkside and sell your kidney to a shammon.

SRAM you can tune 100% while on a trail in 5 minutes if need be. Shimano you can do on trail in about 1 hour and if your lucky you will be able to use at least most of your gears.

Must say covie" i've yet to have the misfortune of having to tune my mech's trail side. So far, it's been a case of either it's working, or it's destroyed. :(

Edited by Capricorn

Must say covie" i've yet to have the unfortunate situation of having to tune my mech's trail side. So far, it's been a case of either it's working, or it's destroyed. :(

Try a stage race or two lol :) I know you kill your kit on the DH stuff but once you go a couple of days hard riding, in adverse conditions being able to quickly and effectivly tune your bike during or after races becomes quite an essential thing. I cant beleive i didnt switch to SRAM earlier.

Try a stage race or two lol :) I know you kill your kit on the DH stuff but once you go a couple of days hard riding, in adverse conditions being able to quickly and effectivly tune your bike during or after races becomes quite an essential thing. I cant beleive i didnt switch to SRAM earlier.

is it really that much better than Shimano in your experience? My shimano experiences are limited to the front mech on my XC bike.

but you right there: i need more mileage before i can properly start experiencing the annoying problems.

with respect I disagree totally. Always had issues with mud and my shimano, and to tune them properly you need a degree in voodoo, embrace the darkside and sell your kidney to a shammon.

SRAM you can tune 100% while on a trail in 5 minutes if need be. Shimano you can do on trail in about 1 hour and if your lucky you will be able to use at least most of your gears.

I must be a wizard !

Seriously? 1 hour? Just because you can't doesn't mean it can't be done or is hard. I could teach you how to tune an XT rig in minutes. Never have to do much to mine though.

70 Km forest2falls on Saturday and not a twitch from my XT 2 X10.

Only time XT acts up is if your cassette is worn, then nothing helps but a new one.

I must be a wizard !

Seriously? 1 hour? Just because you can't doesn't mean it can't be done or is hard. I could teach you how to tune an XT rig in minutes. Never have to do much to mine though.

70 Km forest2falls on Saturday and not a twitch from my XT 2 X10.

Only time XT acts up is if your cassette is worn, then nothing helps but a new one.

Anybody can tune XT with enough time patience and a couple of swearwords, its nowhere near as simple as tuning SRAM, Its nowhere as rugged as SRAM, much less noise "chainslap", and SRAM kicks shimano's ass in mud, i.e. i wont even think of riding my anthem with full XT this weekend on the houwhoek challenge since i know it will be a mudfest. As far a shifting, I notice no difference between the lower end SRAM and higher end XT/XTR shimano has on offer. Once shimano decides to drop their 2:1 ratio ill consider going back to it .... maybe.

Yes Capri im use to XTR/XT:

Bought my new bike came stock with SRAM, even put money aside since i thought thats the first bits about to go and im upgrading to XTR.... couple of rides and I have no desire to replace the lower end SRAM with higher end Shimano, like in none. That 8k is now going to a shiney wheelset rather. Ill ride the lower end SRAM till it breaks and then swap it out I wont go XX or X0 as i think thats a waste of money but ill definitly get X9 instead of XTR.

Edited by covie

Anybody can tune XT with enough time patience and a couple of swearwords, its nowhere near as simple as tuning SRAM, Its nowhere as rugged as SRAM, much less noise "chainslap", and SRAM kicks shimano's ass in mud, i.e. i wont even think of riding my anthem with full XT this weekend on the houwhoek challenge since i know it will be a mudfest. As far a shifting, I notice no difference between the lower end SRAM and higher end XT/XTR shimano has on offer. Once shimano decides to drop their 2:1 ratio ill consider going back to it .... maybe.

Yes Capri im use to XTR/XT:

Bought my new bike came stock with SRAM, even put money aside since i thought thats the first bits about to go and im upgrading to XTR.... couple of rides and I have no desire to replace the lower end SRAM with higher end Shimano, like in none. That 8k is now going to a shiney wheelset rather. Ill ride the lower end SRAM till it breaks and then swap it out I wont go XX or X0 as i think thats a waste of money but ill definitly get X9 instead of XTR.

Enjoy your gruppo.

sounds like this is about to turn into a fistfight with regards to the rear derailers

so I am going to talk about brakes

before you buy anything have a look at the bike in the local bike shop, or even your friends bikes, I love my X0s and would recommend them very highly but, i have a friend who hates the squishy feel of avid

so go looking around and see what you like best

and get a set of them X0s :D

Nah no fighting here this is the hub where everyones opinon is the "right one" :P but hey always up for a good debate.