Advantages of a 'better' alu frame ??

Mandrew

Could not think of anyone or anything prettier than Kate and anything uglier than Ewep.

Easy realy.

Big%20smile

I think eweps breasts are bigger then Kate's. Luckily I've got very small hands.

Could not think of anyone or anything prettier than Kate and anything uglier than Ewep.

Easy realy.

Big%20smile

I had a couple of your teammates in mind, but then the dust will mos never settlesBig%20smile

After observing a lot of Tukkies students (at Hatfield square) over the yours I have concluded that in Pretoria there is a definite cor-relation between availablity and beauty.KonaFan2008-01-08 01:33:56

After observing a lot of Tukkies students (at Hatfield square) over the yours I have concluded that in Pretoria there is a definite cor-relation between availablity and beauty.

Beauty, my friend, is in the eye of the beer-holder......Big%20smile

After observing a lot of Tukkies students (at Hatfield square) over the yours I have concluded that in Pretoria there is a definite cor-relation between availablity and beauty.

?

Beauty' date=' my friend, is in the eye of the beer-holder......[img']https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley4.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Big%20smile" />

?

?

the other observation is that after 10pm on friday and saterdays nighhts there are no ugly girls in Hatfield, only tipsy, friendly girls.

What makes a top of the line cannondale aluminum  frame (invisible weld marks) 'better' than like....a Raleigh rc1000's frame (tons of rough weld marks)? for example

Apart from weight.....

The ground out (smoothed) welds have the advantage of removing a (very) few grams of material, eliminating possible weld notches (that could result in cracks), but mostly aesthetics. After all, if you are expected to pay 5-10 times the price for something, it better look good.

The more expensive frames are often made with better tube sets too - i.e. butted and sometimes proprietry materials (e.g. cannondale use Optimo as opposed to 6061 of their cheaper frames).

Scott used to make 3 different ali frames with different tubes the cheapest was straight guage 7005 (speedster S6-S3)(1.5kg), then the butted 7005 (speedster S2 & S1)(1.2kg) and a scandium frame (old pre CR1 team issue)(1kg). As it happens all scotts Ali frames are now the same - 2008 speedster S60 to S10 are all hydroformed 7005 frames (same weight as the previous S2 & S1), I guess due to economics.

Mostly it revolves around weight as you mentioned - its the easiest thing for marketing folks to sell.

Design alludes to many differences in appearance, either for pure aesthetics or for function.

For Example on a Cannondale CAAD 7 frame and a Raleigh RC8000 the difference are from the down tube section and tub wal profiling right down to material where the CAAD7 uses 6000 (T6 stress relieving) series and RC8000 uses 7000 (Air stress relieving).

One material is better suited to mass manufacture (7000 series) and the other is better suited to smaller runs where the attention to detail may be better.

Typicaly 6000series frames tend to be hand welded hence better control of stress relieving isrequired.

AS Johan says, it all means the same thing at the end of the day; you have a bike frame that has a warranty and weighs around 1.2kg

One may be stiffer in certain areas becasue the designer chose it to be that way, i.e Design.

..... profiling right down to material where the CAAD7 uses 6000 (T6 stress relieving) series and ......

Is the 'optimo' tubing a 6000 series tube?

Optimo is a 6000 series tubeset made by Alcoa. It does however have a Scandium enhanced 6000 series downtube and that sets it apart from earlier tubesets.

Optimo is a 6000 series tubeset made by Alcoa. It does however have a Scandium enhanced 6000 series downtube and that sets it apart from earlier tubesets.

I guess that explains a lot - I was always disappointed with my CAAD7 - just a CAAD4 with a thinner downtube.

....and different seat and chain stays.

CAAD5 was the ultimate version IMO. Its tuck the best balance in performance and value

....and different seat and chain stays.

CAAD5 was the ultimate version IMO. Its tuck the best balance in performance and value

What changed between the CAAD4 and CAAD5 on the back of the frame?