French & Swiss Alps 2012

patches

Guest Omega Man
When he did it last year he paid about R16500 i think. This year he mentioned somthing about a 20k budget

Last year I spent 22k. But that's cos I had to rent a bike for 2 days and bought a whole lot of stuff from the bikeshops. Then there MIGHT have been 1 or 7 nights where R80 jager shots were being put away. Less of that this year.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Sounds awesome! My booze might cost the same as the flight though....

If you buy beers and wine in the supermarkets it's the same if not a little cheaper than here. So the strategy is to smash a few before you leave home and then slowly sip 2 pints in the bar watching the pom guys try hard to pick up the only 3 girls in town.

Guest Omega Man

It's hard to make out on the trail maps on this forum but there's loads of xc for the xc guys too. The PDS (Portes Du Soleil) has over 650km of marked trails. it covers 7 dedicated bike parks. 24 ski lifts. There's lots of unofficial stuff too.

And for the roadies. Well. The roads are beautiful. They are steep and many many TDF stages have passed through the region.

Guest Omega Man

As Patches said. Morzine is about the best place to stay.

It's certainly a first stop for Alpine virgins. The town is the biggest in the PDS. It's got the most nightlife. (Don't expect to find women there. The brits don't call it Manzine for nothing) And most importantly. It's the lowest which is important. Especially when rolling down the road from Les Gets after hammering out 15 runs on the longest track you've ever been on.

The PDS is the BIGGEST Mountain Biking area in the world. Like I said. 2 countries. 7 bikeparks. 24 ski lifts. 650km of marked trail. Nothing else on the planet comes even close.

I was expecting it to be good but it was honestly 10 times better than I could have imagined. I had the very best day of my life. Every day. For 2 weeks. The day I got home I told my wife that I had to go back every year until I die. Take the best bits of trail you have ridden here and knit them all together. Then put that track in the Alps. That will be the first third of the first track you ride.

To the dudes saying bucket list. No. It's not a bucket list trip. It's totally do-able. You can do 2 weeks in the Alps for less than 18k. That's a LOT less than an entry to the epic. And i guarantee you will have a lot more fun.

To make the trip happen you need to do 2 simple things.

1. Decide that you ARE going.

2. Buy a plane ticket.

The rest will fall into place.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

post-18968-0-44081500-1335780271.jpg

Chatel. It's about 7km from top to bottom. It's HUGE. The trail map is from about 2010 cos there's loads more trails there now. Including Air Voltage. GULP!

Oh. And there's this zipline thing. They hang you in a basket cradle thing and you "fly" down the valley.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

I rode Tokai in the pissing rain yesterday. Man it was tough.

If you go to France you HAVE to make sure that you have decent wet weather gear. Like I've said before, it rains in the Alps. Statistically it rains 1 out of 3 days. Yes i did try to find what is statistically the driest month. And the short story is there is no dry month.

So if you go for 2 weeks chances are you are going to get at least 4 days of rain. So what to do? You could wait out the weather in the bars playing pool and talking smack with your mates or. You could get out there with spikes and a rain jacket and learn how to ride in the wet.

I know which one I'm gonna do.

Edited by Omega Man

So, the brake options are,

1 - Hayes Stroker Trail (currently on my Glory)

2 - Juicy 3's with GoodRidge conversion (will take off my Trail bike)

3 - buy another Elixir 5 (only have 1 on my xc bike)

Whats the Vote?

Im leaning towards the J3's

Guest Omega Man

So, the brake options are,

1 - Hayes Stroker Trail (currently on my Glory)

2 - Juicy 3's with GoodRidge conversion (will take off my Trail bike)

3 - buy another Elixir 5 (only have 1 on my xc bike)

Whats the Vote?

Im leaning towards the J3's

Buy Avid code R's You need GOOD brakes.

Spent a week mountain biking in Morzine a few years ago. Absolutely fantastic week.