French & Swiss Alps 2012

patches

Yeeehaaaa! I can't wait!

Super_mil, I've got some shiny new Minion DHF 27's sitting in the garage holding out for this trip. (Maybe also holding out for a new DH bike... we'll see ;) )

Unfortunately my haste to buy, they're both the 60a dual ply, no soft compound.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Yeeehaaaa! I can't wait!

Super_mil, I've got some shiny new Minion DHF 27's sitting in the garage holding out for this trip. (Maybe also holding out for a new DH bike... we'll see ;) )

Unfortunately my haste to buy, they're both the 60a dual ply, no soft compound.

Just run them on the rear. I don't know if I've told you but you will be doing a fair amount of riding on the road. Getting back from Les Gets to Morzine is abt 5km of tar. Getting from Morgins to Chatel is a tar road and getting from Avoriaz (if you're too knackered to ride anymore for the day which is highly likely) back to Morzine is 11km of tar road.

Edited by Omega Man

Just run them on the rear. I don't know if I've told you but you will be doing a fair amount of riding on the road. Getting back from Les Gets to Morzine is abt 5km of tar. Getting from Morgins to Chatel is a tar road and getting from Avoriaz (if you're too knackered to ride anymore for the day which is highly likely) backto Morzine is 11km of tar road.

Closet roadies, pfffft ;)

Guest Omega Man

Closet roadies, pfffft ;)

Haha. Totally. The 2010 TDF had a stage finish at Avoriaz. You ride down this road from Avoriaz to Morzine. Loads of fun hauling down there overtaking cars on your dh bike. Last year I also overtook 5 roadies on that road into Morzine. They were not pleased.

I was freewheeling down the road and would just cruize past them. The one dude wasn't having any of it and was pedalling to stay with me.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

The TDF has also gone over the Col de la Joux Verte before. That's the road between Lindarettes and Avoriaz. This is the road. You can also see the mtb trail dropping down into Lindaretts in the forground.

post-18968-0-26409700-1338216564.jpg

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Behold. The first youtube vid of Les gets for 2012.

Some differences from last year.

1. The horrible steep jumps in the mini jump park are gone and are more dh style tables.
  2. The steep step up where people were ending themselves is gone and is a table with 2 lines.
  3. The braking bumps are still there with a vengeance. Hopefully the lazy ass frogs will fix that but I wouldn’t bet money on it. So the guys on boxxer noodles are gonna kaaak. I'm gonna buy a truckload of anti inflamatories and sell them to my mates for 2 Euro each. BAM!

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Looks sh1te! :whistling:

Ja. Horrible. I'm so bummed I'll be riding that in less than 4 weeks.

BTW. That's BITS of 3 of the many tracks in Les Gets. The main line (Most of the vid), The black (Where he enters under the digger) and ONE of the tracks at Nauchettes. (the tight bermy bits) There's 5 tracks on Nauchettes.

And then there's the whole of the rest of the PDS to contend with. Why bother when we have so much amazing riding here? Oh wait!

Edited by Omega Man

3.The braking bumps are still there with a vengeance. Hopefully the lazy ass frogs will fix that but I wouldn’t bet money on it. So the guys on boxxer noodles are gonna kaaak. I'm gonna buy a truckload of anti inflamatories and sell them to my mates for 2 Euro each. BAM!

Boxxer Noodles :lol:

Peach n Patches I suggest you two take out shares in an anti-inflammatory company! ;)

Guest Omega Man

Boxxer Noodles :lol:

Peach n Patches I suggest you two take out shares in an anti-inflammatory company! ;)

888 FTW!

post-3245-0-02139400-1338282214.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ill take Boxxer over 888 anyday :thumbup:

just ride a rigid till you leave, thats all the training your hands will need for brake bumps.

Edited by Peach.

Guest Omega Man

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ill take Boxxer over 888 anyday :thumbup:

just ride a rigid till you leave, thats all the training your hands will need for brake bumps.

Hahahaha. No dude. Last year my hands were sore for 2 months after I got back. I've bought a 888 and hope V2 brakes SPECIFICALLY for the trip. There's absolutely nothing that can prepare you for it.

Everyone in my crew who went last year and is going this year has upgraded their fork or brakes or both specifically for the trip.

Check out the link below. Nice to see A Line also gets braking bumps.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=62027

Edited by Omega Man

I'm upgrading my whole bike for the trip ;)

Yes, the new ride will have a boxxer noodle on... but a nice 35mm stanchion world cup noodle!

Seems like I may have to get myself a proper downhill bike for this one as well. I've been threatening to sell the Morewood since I got it, but always enjoyed riding parks with it, until the other day at Bischofsmais - a very rocky local park. Having numb hands for two days after a park trip as not fun!

Now I just need to decide on a bike...