Remove spray paint from returned stolen bike

BodyBikeFit

Myself, my dad and my younger brother got bike jacked on the 31st of January '12. I got it back from a guy who bought it and found out about our only story after he bought it.

The people who stole our bikes spray painted my red Hope hubs silver :wacko: and all the other red anodized bits black. Is there a way to remove the spray paint without damaging the rest of the bicycle's paint job?

Your help will be appreciated...

Anodising is a chemical process just use acetone (aka nail polish remover) to remove the paint. There might be a layer of clear varnish that will also be removed but that you can just spray back on.

Edited by BLACKvoodoo

You can try paint remover but I do not know how is will react to the anodising...

Maybe use a heat gun to melt away the paint but stay away from Plastic.

You can try paint remover but I do not know how is will react to the anodising...

Maybe use a heat gun to melt away the paint but stay away from Plastic.

WOT!

Dude, why don't you just give him a Jack hammer some caustic soda and a flame thrower.

Lacquer thinners should do it. DON'T use paint stripper! As far as I am aware that will damage the anidosing. As stated anodising is a chemical process. The coulour is a dye that penetrates the material. The anodising seals in the colour. Thinners should take the paint off if it is the rattle can stuff.

NO CHEMICALS OR HEAT!!!!!

Use the acetone but have clean water handy. Use cotton wool and the acetone and wipe over the new crap paint. Rinse with clean water and cotton wool. Repeat until satisfied. The new paint is probably cheap crap and will come off fairly easily.

I have done this process on a vehicle will good results so should be good for hard type bike paint (underneath) and annodised materials.

Great to hear you have the bikes back, but you have my interest now.

Please post a pic or two of how they bastardized the bling bits?

WOT!

Dude, why don't you just give him a Jack hammer some caustic soda and a flame thrower.

Great to hear you have the bikes back, but you have my interest now.

Please post a pic or two of how they bastardized the bling bits?

Hey he wanted Ideas, I suggest using an earbud and start small where if it stuffs up you wont notice it.

And yes a picture please.

Just a matter of interest, Were the bikes or bike insured? If so did you give the 'returner' his spent cash back?

Just a matter of interest, Were the bikes or bike insured? If so did you give the 'returner' his spent cash back?

And how did he know that the bikes were stolen? where was he buying stolen bikes from?

No the bikes wasn't insured, but I offered other services to the guy for I am in the bicycle industry, but while I inspected/fixed the bicycle I noticed the same color paint under the saddle than the hubs. According to the guy, the saddle that came with the bicycle when he bought it was a broken beyond repair cheap saddle (had a Specialized Romin when stolen), so he fitted one of the saddles that was lying in his garage?? Looks a bit suspicious to me!

I know one of the farmers in the area where we got bike-jacked, who also helped us to go and look for the bikes. The farmer contacted the guy to quote him on a new cover for the farmers pool. They randomly started chatting about cycling and the guy told the farmer about the bicycle he just bought and said he bought a Nicolai (there are like 5 Nicolai's in the country)for R2000. So the farmer told him our story and he contacted us. Apparently he saw the bike at his local Spar on the back of a car. The "owner" of the bike said he wanted to sell the bike to buy a new/ different bicycle.

I will post pics soon.