What GPS unit to buy !

...or a symbian device or a windows phone device!

Ok dude, the point was made and the listed devices were just examples...

Breathe buddy.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok dude, the point was made and the listed devices were just examples...

Breathe buddy.

Where was the point made? Are your referring to the BB/iPhone thread? In that case are you telling me forum rules dictate that once you have said something on a subejct in one thread you may not ever do so again in another thread? Wow, that is interesting.

The comment above illustrates my point raised in that other thread perfectly, don't you think....

Edited by Clint_ZA

I use endomondo (on my iPhone) and the battery holds up fine, I just turn the 3G off. Its pretty accurate, it usually differs with a few meters from my speedometer and the calories burnt are not far off either (without a hrm)

I rode this weekend with a friend with a Garmin GPS unit on their bike. We did a shortish ride but they registered 21.2km, I registered 21.5 on my phone using Sports Tracker. I'm sure for most normal humans this would be a perfectly acceptable margin.

Quite true....

I would say this. Don't use food money to buy a dedicated GPS, the phone software is more than adequate, and gives good functionality.

Have a look at the suunto ambit..its a great and powerful watch and I am very happy with mine

I have been using a Garmin 800 for about a year now. Very happy as it gives heart rate and all other info very well. I have heard some good and some bad reports about the Bryton but it seems like these were teething problens and they seem quite capable as gps units.

http://www.bryton.co.za/

Best part of the unit I use is the interchangeability between bikes. I have the cadence unit on my mtb but dont miss that info on my roadbike.

My only reason for not wearing a watch based unit is that the screen sizes on polar, suunto and bryton are too small for me to access while I am riding.(Older eyes dont focus so well)

Really love the ease of use and the turn by turn navigation is also handy.

Where was the point made? Are your referring to the BB/iPhone thread? In that case are you telling me forum rules dictate that once you have said something on a subejct in one thread you may not ever do so again in another thread? Wow, that is interesting.

The comment above illustrates my point raised in that other thread perfectly, don't you think....

The point was made where it was written "if you have a phone that's capable".

I'm not referring to another thread so I have no idea.

But I still think you need to chill dude?

Back to the subject of the thread?

Edited by Richard Best

the phone software is more than adequate, and gives good functionality.

Yeah, and if you are like me, you want less gadgets to cart around on a ride, not more.

I also like to see my data while I'm riding, but I'm too nervous to put my mobile phone in a place where it might get damaged if I bail.

I have always used a Polar watch with a strap and a magnet on the wheel but having recently bought a 29er and changing the settings on the watch each time I ride a different bike is a pain (wheel size).

I am therefore wanting to buy a Garmin or something similar that rather works on satelite's and therefore not having to change the settings all the time.

I am not the most computer literate person around so would like something fairly easy to use and can indicate speed,distance,time,profile of your ride etc.Can anyone suggest/recommend which unit I should go for.

I guess this topic might have been covered before,so please forgive me in advance.

More discussion here, the Byrton 50 and Garmin 805 are the product cycling top range with all bells and whistles including Mapping ability. I still use the Garmin 705 and happy with it.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/114101-bryton-50-vs-garmin-805/page__st__16

I have an edge 500 and an iPhone with cycling software. Always end up with the garmin and here is why:

Garmin is water resistant pretty shock proof and cheaper to replace than my phone.

Protective cases and heart rate monitors for iPhone are pretty expensive and more difficult to transfer between bikes as the edge 500 comes with 2 bike mounts and clip on and off easily.

Battery life is 13 hours.

Edge 500 is much smaller and lighter than my phone.

I have an edge 500 and an iPhone with cycling software. Always end up with the garmin and here is why:

Garmin is water resistant pretty shock proof and cheaper to replace than my phone.

Protective cases and heart rate monitors for iPhone are pretty expensive and more difficult to transfer between bikes as the edge 500 comes with 2 bike mounts and clip on and off easily.

Battery life is 13 hours.

Edge 500 is much smaller and lighter than my phone.

So you don't take a phone with you when you ride for emergency calls?

I use endomondo (on my iPhone) and the battery holds up fine, I just turn the 3G off. Its pretty accurate, it usually differs with a few meters from my speedometer and the calories burnt are not far off either (without a hrm)

what other gps apps are good for iphone, will try endomondo tomorrow

The point was made where it was written "if you have a phone that's capable".

I'm not referring to another thread so I have no idea.

But I still think you need to chill dude?

Back to the subject of the thread?

No, let's be a little more anal for a while shall we?!

The actual wording was:

"So if you have a phone that's capable, like an iPhone or Android, you can do this very cheaply."

One could assume that the implication was that it was only these two device types that were capable. I felt the desire to clarify the situation. Perhaps you need to chill as it was you who seemed to take major offence to me doing so!