What GPS unit to buy !

I have always used a Polar watch with a strap and a magnet on the wheel but having recently bought a 29er and changing the settings on the watch each time I ride a different bike is a pain (wheel size).

I am therefore wanting to buy a Garmin or something similar that rather works on satelite's and therefore not having to change the settings all the time.

I am not the most computer literate person around so would like something fairly easy to use and can indicate speed,distance,time,profile of your ride etc.Can anyone suggest/recommend which unit I should go for.

I guess this topic might have been covered before,so please forgive me in advance.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you mention that you are "not the most computer literate" but most smartphones have GPS built in and an app like Google My Tracks or Endomondo will do all that for you.

So if you have a phone that's capable, like an iPhone or Android you can do this very cheaply.

Just a thought....

Rather spend your money on a Wahoo Protector Bike Case kit, which includes cadence and speed sensors, and heart rate monitor.

Turns your smartphone into a cycling GPS that is at least as powerful, and probably much more versatile than any dedicated Garmin or Bryton unit.

Edited by Blackadder

I can recommend any Bryton unit (20, 30, 35, 40 or 50, depending on budget)

Easy to mount, use and download the data

Great after-sales service

After much reading on TheHub and much research, I got myself a Garmin Edge 500 (had a Polar); I'm never going to look back.

After much reading on TheHub and much research, I got myself a Garmin Edge 500 (had a Polar); I'm never going to look back.

+1

I know you mention that you are "not the most computer literate" but most smartphones have GPS built in and an app like Google My Tracks or Endomondo will do all that for you.

So if you have a phone that's capable, like an iPhone or Android you can do this very cheaply.

Just a thought....

...or a symbian device or a windows phone device!

But I agree, save some money and just get a phone that has a decent GPS chip. Most new smartphones do.

I have a Garmin 305...and a smartphone with GPS. tried the phone a few times, but it does match the Garmin for obvious reasons. It is a phone. I have cadence, HR and very accurate sped and route with the Garmin...

After removing the speed sensor from bike, I'm enjoying my Garmin 800 a lot.

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and had it for a while now. Ive also had the Edge 705 and have really enjoyed using them.

I have a Garmin 305...and a smartphone with GPS. tried the phone a few times, but it does match the Garmin for obvious reasons. It is a phone. I have cadence, HR and very accurate sped and route with the Garmin...

I rode this weekend with a friend with a Garmin GPS unit on their bike. We did a shortish ride but they registered 21.2km, I registered 21.5 on my phone using Sports Tracker. I'm sure for most normal humans this would be a perfectly acceptable margin.

The issue I have with the smartphone idea is that it eats the battery power very quickly