Commuting road or mountain/commuting bike

smohamed

Hi what is the best to use for commuting mountain bike or road bike. I live about 13 kilometres from work a total of 26 kilometres per day. I do not have time for training/cycling during the week therefore try to commute at least 2-3 times a week to work. Is it true that 13 kilometres on a mountain bike is equivalent to 26 kilometres on a road bike? At the moment I'm using my road bike to work as I intend to purchase a Scott entry level mountain/commuter bike for R3500.

Not sure if their is a exact ratio, but on a MTB it is a lot harder to cycle than on road bike (on road). But i don't think it is double as hard at all.

Not sure if their is a exact ratio, but on a MTB it is a lot harder to cycle than on road bike (on road). But i don't think it is double as hard at all.

Is it better to train on MTB and do the cycle tour on a road bike. I heard it's safer to commute on MTB without cleats.

Problem with a road bike is you forever have to pay close attention to where you are cycling with those skinny tyres. Maybe CT is a bit better that Jhb, but here just about every man hole cover has been nicked and roads are not being maintained.

I use a hard tail 2000-vintage Cannondale with front fatty suspension, and Kevlar lined Conti tyres, opens up other options such as pavements, track through the veld etc.

MTB, less chance of puncture, more opportunities to avoid obstacles, pavement hopping etc.

I rode my MTB mainly so I could get off the road, if necessary. Then I got a cyclecross bike: awesome for commuting. I cycle in everyday on it...

I rode my MTB mainly so I could get off the road, if necessary. Then I got a cyclecross bike: awesome for commuting. I cycle in everyday on it...

• 5 months later...

I ride a MTB hardtail. Gives me options to bail onto the pavement or verge/gutter to avoid traffic, potholes, buses etc. Also the big tires are more puncture/pothole/pavement resistant than skinny road tires.

I do a 16km-one way commute at least 4 times a week and split my riding between dual-sus 26er and road bike - depending on what i feel like the morning. On average, the road bike is about 7 to 10 minutes faster. Bought the road bike specifically for the commute. In hind-sight I should have bought a cyclocross bike.

MTB with some skinny tires.

More comfortable geometry especially if you have a backpack. Also more versatile for hopping pavements and cutting corners.

Mtb. Definitely :P

I bought a nice carbon groupo and a very nice racing wheelset..... and these buses/ reckless scare me so much I haven't touched my roadbike in ages.

The puncture factor is a bonus too.

Rig up a single speed, short distances in the traffic can wear out clusters and chains very quickly. I also commute 13km (uphill) and when I am fit a single speed is the answer. (When I am not then the old eddy merckx corsa is the ride of choice.)

Cyclo-cross. But it is not easy to find one. Of 'n swart dikwiel

Easiest, and prob cheapest would be to order a On-One pompino CX frame from on-one.co.uk

MTB for sure, because you can bunny hop sidewalks and ride off the shoulder if the cars around you drive like idiots.

MTB with knobblies is about 1.3 times harder than road bike when cycling on road.