29er HT Build or Buy?

chrism123

I have outgrown my Merida Matts Lite 1000-d 26" mtb and I plan to upgrade to a Hard tail carbon 29er.

My budget is around 25-30k.

Would it be more beneficial to build up a bike to meet my preferred components or buy the whole package in one? Time is not an issue as I am not in a huge rush.

Have been looking at Scott Scale Pro, Scott Scale Expert, Merida Big nine 3000 carbon, Cannondale flash 1(alloy).

Any Ideas?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me, I'd build it up. But then I've already built a bike to my specs (on the cheap) and it is a fantastic feeling to get on it for the first, second, third, heck - 100th time.

I'd get something like an On One Inbred or a Niner Air 9 or something similar, get the wheels from CRC on one of their specials and get some kick-ass parts from them as well.

They are having some AWESOME specials on the HOPE brakes at the moment.

You'll have a kick-ass bike for less than your budget... For the fork, no reason to go for anything other than a REBA. They are that good.

You can buy cheaper than you can build, maainly because there is always something that you want to upgrade on a newly bought bike but on a build you get the parts that you want

If it were me, I'd build it up. But then I've already built a bike to my specs (on the cheap) and it is a fantastic feeling to get on it for the first, second, third, heck - 100th time.

I'd get something like an On One Inbred or a Niner Air 9 or something similar, get the wheels from CRC on one of their specials and get some kick-ass parts from them as well.

They are having some AWESOME specials on the HOPE brakes at the moment.

You'll have a kick-ass bike for less than your budget... For the fork, no reason to go for anything other than a REBA. They are that good.

+1 (not another Pie) just a +1 to agree with what you said mr mayhem!

In any case, I only ever build my own bikes, it's the only way I end up keeping them and enjoying them.... if you buy an off the shelf bike you will get moeg of it so quickly....

No better feeling if you ask me.. especially if it get attention.

Cant wait for my Yeti BigTOP frame to arrive... whoop whoop!

You can buy cheaper than you can build, maainly because there is always something that you want to upgrade on a newly bought bike but on a build you get the parts that you want

I actually found that, when taking all the "upgrades" into account, a built up bike would have come out cheaper than a shop-bought bike. Plus, there's nothing wrong with getting a set of "clearance" goodies on CRC if they're exactly what you want.

EG: I built my DH bike for a smidge under 7k. Yes, the wheels came with the frame at a price of R 2.5k But I bought all the other parts off CRC, and I have exactly the bike I want...

+1 on what cptmayhen says.

I have to say, that I have built up 2 bikes, to my spec, and NO upgrades needed.

But, it is more expensive to build than to buy.

If you can buy locally / internationally EXACTLY to your spec, it will be cheaper than a build.

But, building is SOOOOO much fun!!!!!

Something towards building your self, you end with what you want, can afford, not a combination that is a product management's list of decisions on where to compromise,

Even if you end the same price, it is what you want, where you wiling to compromise and upgrade later compared to a package that is not 100% your choices, that you then have to "fix" to get to something you will be happy with.

I'll build.

G

Just did my own custom build and I can’t stop smiling J I had some components from my old 26er that I used to save on cost. You can’t buy what you want unless you have loads of cash.

• Titan Carbon 29er Race frame. I like the fact that all cables are internal routing.
  • Fox Racing Shox 32 F29 FIT RLC - 29er Fork (Tapper steerer, 100mm travel, 15mm tru-axel)
  • ZTR 29er Race Gold Wheels + Rubena Scylla tires.
  • Shimano Cranksets - MTB XTR Chainset M970 175mm 22.32.44 (replacing 44t with 42t Blackspire blade)
  • Shimano XT M775 Disc Brakes + XT Disc Rotor 6-Bolt RT76 160mm 6-Bolt
  • XTR Front derailleur
  • SRAM X9 rear derailleur
  • SRAM 9 speed gripshifts
  • Easton EC70 XC Flat MTB Handlebar (9 Deg) – 685mm wide
  • KCNC Arrow Stem with 17 Degree drop
  • KCNC-Scandium Seat Post
  • Selle Italia SLR 125g saddle

Just did my own custom build and I can’t stop smiling J I had some components from my old 26er that I used to save on cost. You can’t buy what you want unless you have loads of cash.

• Titan Carbon 29er Race frame. I like the fact that all cables are internal routing.
  • Fox Racing Shox 32 F29 FIT RLC - 29er Fork (Tapper steerer, 100mm travel, 15mm tru-axel)
  • ZTR 29er Race Gold Wheels + Rubena Scylla tires.
  • Shimano Cranksets - MTB XTR Chainset M970 175mm 22.32.44 (replacing 44t with 42t Blackspire blade)
  • Shimano XT M775 Disc Brakes + XT Disc Rotor 6-Bolt RT76 160mm 6-Bolt
  • XTR Front derailleur
  • SRAM X9 rear derailleur
  • SRAM 9 speed gripshifts
  • Easton EC70 XC Flat MTB Handlebar (9 Deg) – 685mm wide
  • KCNC Arrow Stem with 17 Degree drop
  • KCNC-Scandium Seat Post
  • Selle Italia SLR 125g saddle

Show us a pic :whistling:

I'd say if that's your budget, Use it !!! Especially if you build up a singlespeed bike, My one mate built up a singular frame and fork woth some epic parts; Nice crankbrother,raceface, hope and chrisking components all for under 15K , that would be my choice..its seriously one of the hottest 29ers ive EVER seen...Just my apinion :)