Bleeding Avid Juicy 5 Brakes

RavenShield

So i installed some new pads, but when i pull the brake lever full in it does not brake as it should.

So i went to youtube and got a vid that shows how to bleed the brake, but the dude in the vid uses some fancy avid syringes and stuff. Is it possible to bleed the brakes without that stuff? As for the option to take it to my LBS to bleed, they are 120km away, so i don't want to drive just for that.

I am afraid that without those fancy syringes its off to the LBS. Even with the syringes its a bitch so save yourself some pain and pay the LBS to do it. Just becareful the dot fluid used in Avids is prety nasty stuff do not get it on your paintwork.

My older model juicy 5's where relativley high maintenance - did a lot of bleeding.

It may be worth your while to buy the syringes and learn how to do the bleeding yourself. I gave them an overhaul a few months ago, put new pistons in and now they are as good as new again. Saved me buying a new set... For now. You can buy the dot fluid at a motor bike shop. Cheaper for a decent size bottle.

So i installed some new pads, but when i pull the brake lever full in it does not brake as it should.

So i went to youtube and got a vid that shows how to bleed the brake, but the dude in the vid uses some fancy avid syringes and stuff. Is it possible to bleed the brakes without that stuff? As for the option to take it to my LBS to bleed, they are 120km away, so i don't want to drive just for that.

Don't panic yet.

Stand the bike up (wheelie position) on it's rear wheel, with the bars up. Pump the brakes till it goes hard. leave for a while and do it again. Should get it better (or as good as it's going to get without a bleed)

With the bleedkit it's actually very easy and simple. If you intend keeping the brakes for a while, it might be worth it getting it.

My original Juicy 7s were very reliable. Bought in 2005 and serviced once after about 2yrs until they were retired end 2010. One of them is currently being used by a friend while he waits for a new brake from the UK. Lots of play on the lever but still quite powerful.

So i installed some new pads, but when i pull the brake lever full in it does not brake as it should. So i went to youtube and got a vid that shows how to bleed the brake, but the dude in the vid uses some fancy avid syringes and stuff. Is it possible to bleed the brakes without that stuff? As for the option to take it to my LBS to bleed, they are 120km away, so i don't want to drive just for that.

Sorry - the bleed kit is required.

If you have one, bleeding Juicys is easy and very quick. I tried without, then finally picked up a kit from my LBS...

Me and a friend actually built a bleeding kit for about R60. Used some syringes and little pipes you use in the garden for those sprinkle things. Was messy but did work.

Yup, need the bleeding kit. Did my Three's myself a month ago (also installed new pads at same time), using a borrowed kit. Brakes are sharp, no fade, no squeel or any other unwanted noice. :thumbup: Lever travel is just as I like it. Very happy with my Three's. :thumbup: :clap: You can order kit from CRC or CWC. Only cost a couple hundred Rand.

edit. It is a bit confusing at the beginning, but if you carefully follow the Youtube instructions (DO NOT SKIP A STEP), it is actually quite easy. Had to redo mine three times to get desired effect, but now it is perfect.

Edited by Wannabe

Here's a picture of the bleed kit aok and I made. Cost about R25 for the syringes, bit of tubing and the little black connectors. Then just used some super glue to stick them together. Fully bled two brakes today and worked perfectly. Got a 250ml tin of DOT 5.1 from MIDAS for R36...

post-31769-0-50086800-1336502158.jpg

Good job Carderne !!!!! I love this poortech thing. Where did you get the connectors and can you show us a close up of them

Attached a photo from this thread, where I got the idea from. We got them from the local builder's express, in the gardening area. R5 for a packet of five.

post-31769-0-77504400-1336632791.jpg

@carderne...also had a homemade kit and worked a charm, I added those little crocodile paper clip thingamabobs to shut the flow...

Just a word of caution...make sure you clean the kit out after a bleed...properly. I left mine for about two months with a little dot5.1 still in it...it chowed the tube and connectors stukkend.

OK, got my black plastic screw in fittings yesterday R4.99 at Builders Express Cedar Square.

Now, what did you use to make the thingmabobs to stop the flow ?

Can we have a pic ?

OK, got my black plastic screw in fittings yesterday R4.99 at Builders Express Cedar Square.

Now, what did you use to make the thingmabobs to stop the flow ?

Can we have a pic ?

CNA...cheap cheap

untitled.bmp

We didn't use anything to stop the flow, didn't really seem like that part of the process (getting dissolved air out of the fluid) was the worth the effort...