Blood Pressure

Garfield2010

Again back to question 1. What is a normal BP increase when at work?

This forum actually shows how little we know about this let alone our own health

How many of you have in the last 12 months actaully tested your BP whilst at work?

How many of you actually know what your cholesterol levels are?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am already on BP meds, just dont know if thoses spikes are normal.

I do drink too much coffee.

I am having a *** day thanks.

Will skip coffee tomorrow and check again thanks.

So my BP also raised when I take an extra caffeiene Gu Gel on the bike?

If you suffer from high blood pressure you def shouldn't take the gu's with caffeine in. .

My OH suffers from high blood pressure. If he goes to the nurse to get it checked after coffee, its always a lot higher than if he does without having coffee. When he wore the monitor for 24 hours, it went up at work, but then we know his job is stressful.

I also read up on what food etc increases blood pressure and one of the factors is sodium. What is interesting is that in a can of coke light, there is 14mg's of sodium which at first I thought was bad. However if you look on some of the packet sauces, its over 1000mg's! Being a working mom, I'd would often use one of the packets to make a quick meal like chicken ala King or a pasta sauce for example think it was fairly heathly (I always add veg of some kind. Little did I know...

If you suffer from high blood pressure you def shouldn't take the gu's with caffeine in. .

My OH suffers from high blood pressure. If he goes to the nurse to get it checked after coffee, its always a lot higher than if he does without having coffee. When he wore the monitor for 24 hours, it went up at work, but then we know his job is stressful.

I also read up on what food etc increases blood pressure and one of the factors is sodium. What is interesting is that in a can of coke light, there is 14mg's of sodium which at first I thought was bad. However if you look on some of the packet sauces, its over 1000mg's! Being a working mom, I'd would often use one of the packets to make a quick meal like chicken ala King or a pasta sauce for example think it was fairly heathly (I always add veg of some kind. Little did I know...

Thanks

This forum actually shows how little we know about this let alone our own health

How many of you have in the last 12 months actaully tested your BP whilst at work?

My work actually organised a health day where they came in and checked everything like blood pressure, cholesterol etc.

I also do the clicks health check once a year which includes cholesterol.

Had a fright a few months ago, I was at my doc for my son and she decided to check my glucose levels. It read 9.6 which is pretty high. Went back the next morning and it was 4.6 (normal). The spike we reckon was due some chinese chicken I had eaten with a honey sauce. Scary the influence food can have.

I suffer from low blood pressure. My normal blood pressure is about 106 / 63.

He's a nurse :whistling:

methinks a used latex glove with some interesting stains on the middle fingers is on it`s way to you!

Is there a docter on the Hub?

Oh yeah, many docters who will grant you their opinions freely and free-ly.

But a few doctors.... :blush:

Is it normal to have a BP of 80 - 135 at home but 100 - 150 at work (8 hours)?

Please could only informed persons answer............

What gadget are you using at home? could be a faulty reading if it is one of those dischem specials ,but that does seem like a major discrepancy. As said before if you take your BP in the morning after a good sleep the reading will probably be a bit lower than at work with the stress etc.

OK!

Did that

87 - 145

Pulse 61

Do not know if it still counts but results measured on a sphygmanometer is normally recorded as systolic and diastolic. They used to say that the systolic (the high one) BP should be 100 plus your age. Dunno if that still counts. Mine at rest is 80/135 and I am not 35!!!!!!!!

Edited by eccentric1

There are two numbers wrt your BP. The highest one is your systolic which shold be above 110 for average male. The lowest one is your diastolic which should not be above 90. Reading BP should be done at rest not when you are stressed or evercising. If your blood pressure at rest is more than 90 for the lower reading then you should be consulting your doctor to review your meds. He might consider a diuretic as an adjunct to Coversyl.

Edited by Super Mario

Have it checked out, mine was also incredibly high, turned out to be anxiety, prescribed a 2 week coarse of pills and all seems fine now.

Guys, one blood pressure measurement means very little. You need to look at patterns rather than readings to get a good indication of what is happening.

I take cholesterol tabs on chronic medication so have to have a new script every 6 months, and every time I ask the doc to do a full test, BP, Cholesterol, Sugar and various blood checks, and every two years I wear that blood pressure monitor for 24 hours - its a pain in the butt for sure but it gives you a good insight into your health.

One thing I have learned is, no matter what your readings are, do NOT compare your readings to anyone else, be guided by your medical doctor who is treating you and not the internet.