External BB inner sleeve

Mojoman

Had an annoying creak on the BB, decided to take it out, clean etc. I have discovered that the plastic inner sleeve is all cracked and looking poinltess! Do I need to have one in there or can I just take it out? If I do need it can you get replacements or is a new BB set required?

I would imagine that the inner sleeve is to prevent water ingress into the bearings.

Any LBS should stock spares.

Mmmm you definitly need it . Without that sleeve you will have some play on the crank . Bst bet would be to get old cups and take the sleeve out , if you do find somebody that stock these sleeves please share . Just remember that the LX (SLX) , xt and xtr sleeves are different !

Here is a pic of how my inner sleeve looks. Wound up buying a new BB set, will service the old ones and put them away as spares. I will also take RockyRuan's offer of a sleeve as well for a spare. Struggled to find anyone who sells Deore BB, had to buy an XT one, why do the LBS's insist on only stocking expensive parts? Not all of us have money to burn....! And why didn't Shimano make a plastic POS like difficult to find and replace? Starting to miss the old Square taper BB!

post-12678-0-31404700-1336998021.jpg

Mmmm you definitly need it . Without that sleeve you will have some play on the crank . Bst bet would be to get old cups and take the sleeve out , if you do find somebody that stock these sleeves please share . Just remember that the LX (SLX) , xt and xtr sleeves are different !

Mmmmm nou's ek deurmekaar .... why would not having that sleeve in cause more play in the crank? My understanding as per the others (Thug et al) on this thread was that it was only for TRYING to prevent water ingress to the bearings ....

And according to other way more 'knowledgable's' on this here expert forum it doesn't even do a good job at that hence the need to 'drill' your BB if you're that way inclined ...

So without it your BB would last a 'little' longer but has no 'function' other than that is what I thought ...

:eek: If you take the sleeve out you got a few mm less inside your BB cup . But I will go and take the good old mircrometer tonight and take pics to explain it better . And trust me I have tried the "no sleeves" BB's !! I got a very messed up crank somewhere to prove it . The sleeve does not go onto the side of the BB but it actually fits inside the BB .

:eek: If you take the sleeve out you got a few mm less inside your BB cup . But I will go and take the good old mircrometer tonight and take pics to explain it better . And trust me I have tried the "no sleeves" BB's !! I got a very messed up crank somewhere to prove it . The sleeve does not go onto the side of the BB but it actually fits inside the BB .

This is true, however I bought an XT set and the inner sleeve is the same length as the old Deore one (unless dum dum dum....the XT set is IN FACT a Deore set!)!

I thought we talking that 'sleeve' that goes inside the BB between the 2 cups as per the picture above?

:clap: No man , that piece of sheeet I throw away !!!!

:whistling: now you don't have to go and find that micrometer tonight!

:clap: No man , that piece of sheeet I throw away !!!!

So i have just blown R365 on an XT set just to get a pointless tube of plastic?

So i have just blown R365 on an XT set just to get a pointless tube of plastic?

Dunno so much. It must be there for a reason.

PING JB, what's the situation with this plastic sleeve?

Yes it is there for a reason . It will very nicely collect all the water that happens to get into your BB and then store it there . Been chucking them for years now . I may have few in the workshop for sale ... Lets say R100 for LX and R150 for XT one ? :clap:

Yes it is there for a reason . It will very nicely collect all the water that happens to get into your BB and then store it there . Been chucking them for years now . I may have few in the workshop for sale ... Lets say R100 for LX and R150 for XT one ? :clap:

Ah, but that's why my Giant XTC2's BB comes pre-drilled from Giant. :D