29er wheels weight

Goodbadugly

Spoke thickness does not affect strength... thinker, straight gauge spokes (eg 2.0mm) are actually weaker than butted spokes (eg 2.0/1.8mm) spokes. Rim design and weight, and number of spokes (ie length of rim between adjacent spokes) has the greatest effect on wheel strength....

No dealer locations in CPT, So your probably going to struggle your ass off trying to get spares or warrantee replacements. I like the fact that it comes standard with all the conversion kits though.

Cycle Flab should carry spares as they sell Bonti.

The distributors though I found to be great when I was looking for the plastic wheel strips (they had just taken over the Bonti brand in SA) .... they never had stock in SA and when it landed I found to my amazement the distributors had sent me 2 x free strips via courier :thumbup:

Spoke thickness does not affect strength... thinker, straight gauge spokes (eg 2.0mm) are actually weaker than butted spokes (eg 2.0/1.8mm) spokes. Rim design and weight, and number of spokes (ie length of rim between adjacent spokes) has the greatest effect on wheel strength....

True bit it does affect wheelstrength along with the factors you mentioned and many other factors like flanges, hub design, etc. 2mm might not be the best example lets just compare the weight of double butted 2.0/1.7 vs 2.0/1.5 you gain major strength using the 1.7 if you discount the other factors involved but you pay a weight penalty.

Hi Goodbadugly

I have a set of Stan's ZTR Flow rims laced to Hope Pro II evo hubs.

BOMBPROOF, same setup as some free-ride wheelsets.

My set came in at 1750g, and strong!!!

Did I mention BOMBPROOF???

Define BOMPROOF. I weigh in at 100kg and have been spending some money on my back wheel.

First replaced shimano hub with Hope, then kept on snapping spokes. Rebuild wheel with double butted spokes. Snapped another 3 probably due to bad wheelbuilding. Rebuild again, had to be dished with different spokes, another R800+.

Three weeks later, still holding but I'm just not sure. Do a lot of riding in the mountains with rock and ridges. So what is BOMPROOF??

Oh and the rims i use is the bontrager mustang. Came with my Trek!

I think around 1800g is fair for a "strong-enough" 29er wheelset...

When the wheel is wheighed, is that without the skewer :eek:

Define BOMPROOF. I weigh in at 100kg and have been spending some money on my back wheel.

First replaced shimano hub with Hope, then kept on snapping spokes. Rebuild wheel with double butted spokes. Snapped another 3 probably due to bad wheelbuilding. Rebuild again, had to be dished with different spokes, another R800+.

Three weeks later, still holding but I'm just not sure. Do a lot of riding in the mountains with rock and ridges. So what is BOMPROOF??

Oh and the rims i use is the bontrager mustang. Came with my Trek!

I ride my Bontis weighing in at 91-92kg's and then on the Table Mountain rides before work one can easily add 6-9kg's.

I like ST and ride it as much as possible, but have (Or rather think / want to have) a more smooth style of riding vs a aim and crash through everything approach.

The reason for me asking is that if you look at the weights of the Mavics and the Easton EA 90's they all end up at about 1750g. A friend bought a Canondale (lefty) carbon and it was specced with Arch rims. And that on a R40k+ bike. Those wheels also end up somewhere in the 1700gram class. Dt Swiss offerings for rims are also 470 grams a rim(same as Arch). They do come lighter, but also with a lower rider weight limit. The Crests with a rider limit of 86kg. So if you are a 80kg guy in your socks and you add a pair of shoes, helmet, 2 water bottles, 2 bananas, ride with a full bladder and suffer from constipation, you are pretty close to the limit. Chances that these will last long if you do not finesse them are small.

Not counting the extremes (carbon rims), it seems to me that good lightweight wheels end up at 1750-1850g?

Interesting that the EA90's have a rather low spoke count of 24. Where as Stans rims take 32 as standard.

Good feedback

The reason for me asking is that if you look at the weights of the Mavics and the Easton EA 90's they all end up at about 1750g. A friend bought a Canondale (lefty) carbon and it was specced with Arch rims. And that on a R40k+ bike. Those wheels also end up somewhere in the 1700gram class. Dt Swiss offerings for rims are also 470 grams a rim(same as Arch). They do come lighter, but also with a lower rider weight limit. The Crests with a rider limit of 86kg. So if you are a 80kg guy in your socks and you add a pair of shoes, helmet, 2 water bottles, 2 bananas, ride with a full bladder and suffer from constipation, you are pretty close to the limit. Chances that these will last long if you do not finesse them are small.

Not counting the extremes (carbon rims), it seems to me that good lightweight wheels end up at 1750-1850g?

Interesting that the EA90's have a rather low spoke count of 24. Where as Stans rims take 32 as standard.

Good feedback

I think Cannondale puts the Arch's on because of their no rider weight limit. Flash Carbon 1 29er still comes in at 9,8kg with cages and pedals which is still pretty light!

Not counting the extremes (carbon rims), it seems to me that good lightweight wheels

end up at 1750-1850g?

I have the EA70 and they seem pretty solid at 1820 g they roll well and handle quite well I weigh in around 100kg

They handle all the tracks in Tokai pretty well, I do hear the odd ping from the spokes but so far so good

Good feedback

Edited by wapad