Bike rack advice

stefanx

What kind of car do you drive? I've got a Chev Aveo Sedan? and looking for a rack like the Thule Raceway 9003?

Golf 5

I love these roof racks although some of my mates mock me for putting racks on a GTi

I must admit they do make a bit of wind noise and fuel consumption goes for a ball of poo, the trip to Cape Town with the bikes on I was getting 550-600km on a tank as opposed to my usual 770km without them driving on the open road.

This is driving at the speed limit.

Fuel tank is 55l

The joy of having the bikes in Cape Town and riding everyday somewhere different was well worth the few extra bucks in fuel cost!

post-12441-13430668329722.jpg

Edited by SeanN

The Thule Raceway 9003 "second pic of akneethling" will it work on my Chevrolette Aveo Sedan? Because i just bought a dual suspention mtb, my current bootrack where the bikes just hangs on, doesnt work anymore?

It will Definitely work on an aveo, sedan and hatch

I can honestly recommend a Saris Bones, I have one and am more than happy. Fits on any type of car ie hatch back (used it on a Golf and Polo) as well as sedans (used it on a Volvo). Takes literally 2 mins to put on and does not damage the car. Been on the highway from Jhb to Durbs and the bike did not budge.

I have one of the real al-cheapo racks that you clamp on the towbar. Takes three bikes that hang by the frame. Must say I wasnt sold when I got them and soon realised that the wind has some control over the bikes in their stock format. I have however modified the rack so the mounts cannot move along the rails whiles still allowing them to rotate. With this I hang the rear part of the frame from the bit of vetical frame below the seat post clamp with the front supporting the frame somewhere along the top. This way the bike sits centre behind the bakkie and the wind is not so much of an issue anymore against the bikes. Also the stress on the frame is reduced ten fold by the rear mounting option. Do I feel worried the clamp will pull off and the bike will drop? Yeah I am but it hasnt yet and it just forces me to make sure the seat/seatpost is really well secured :D

What will a towbar set you back?

In jhb anything from 2.5K to 8.5K. That is the range of quotes I got