Sani2C:Shock, Horror and Sadness

pedal menace

So yesterday a couple of mates of mine (3 teams) went down to Underberg for the Sani2C that starts today. Kombi and 5 very expensive MTB's on a trailer. Stayed in a guesthouse overnight close to start with MTB's locked on trailer. By now I am sure you all are guessing what I am about to type. This morning all fired up and ready to go and .....drums rolling...no trailer outside guesthouse!!!! Shock!!! Somebody simply towed the trailer and bikes away overnight. Called the cops immediately and they really took the situation seriously since I assume they know what this race means to the local community. Within one hour received a call...trailer found within 1km from the guesthouse. That's the good news! Trailer is upside down in dip next to road with one bike pinned underneath. That's the bad news! 4 bikes still missing!! Horror!! Seems they were able to get 4 bikes of the trailer and simply push it into a deep dip and trailer overturned. Within another 20 minutes received another call from cops...a patrol car in the local township saw a guy riding on a very expensive MTB. When he saw the cops he jumped off the bike and ran...description of bike was given and YES it is on of the 5. So now we one bike recovered, one damaged bike under trailer and 3 bikes still missing. Sani2C is now history! Sadness!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear that - at the ver least I hope you get the other bikes back and can prosecute the perps.

Eish, thats horrific & so sad. I'm sure these guys will be sorted out by the local community. Seems to be a bit of a nightmare what with the guys bikes and Mango as well.

Still do not understand why you would think locking your bike and leaving it on a trailer was a good idea. I would have insisted my bike was inside.

Sorry to hear your story - the inconvenience and wasted money suck, not to mention you couldn't race.. Reaffirms my belief that my bike sleeps inside. Not negotiable!

I guess bikes inside house is the best option...don't know details, perhaps no space etc. But still...the whole town is a buzz of riders, bikes and spectators! So unecessary!!! Damn I am so upset!

my god, what a nasty. sorry to hear this, i hope you can recover the rest...nice of the cops to get something back.

I think it is stupid to leave expensive bikes on trailer overnites. I will rather put it next to my bed....

I know one woman who put her bike at the back of bakkie inside canopy on the morning of the Argus and she locked the canopy to have coffee and breakfast quickly. When she came back and the bike was gone. The thief managed to break open the canopy and she had to borrow bike to complete Argus.

Hey Pedal Menace

Sorry about the ****. Please PM me bike descriptions, I live here and will keep an eye out and spread the word amongst locals.

why PM it. Put it on the thread so everybody can keep a look out Edited by BioMouse

Sorry to hear about the loss.

I wonder which bike the perps didn't like and left behind...I reckon it must be a Scott.

The bikes that were taken:

Santa Cruz Black 29er (Tallboy)

Giant Anthem Black and White 26er

Cannondale Scalpal Lefty Black 26er