Compaq Gears

fastlegs

I am having problem with my Compaq gearing (less then a year old) - lately it keeps jamming and can't go from the big chain ring to the small and and vica versa and only does so after a few tries (which is a bit frustrating especially in a race) what is the cause of this and can I fix it or should I take it to a shop?

Take your bike for a service. After a year the cables have stretched, and your chain could be worn. It has nothing to do with the fact that you have a compact crank.

Take your bike for a service. After a year the cables have stretched, and your chain could be worn. It has nothing to do with the fact that you have a compact crank.

'Compact' or 'campag'? Ek wonner maar net .....

Use google to solve the problem - watch a few youtube vids and you can do this easy stuff yourself. Stand you in good stead for the future...

Cables just need to be nipped up a bit. No biggy. As Andre sayd - common gear problem and nothing to do with Compact stuff.

I am having problem with my Compaq gearing (less then a year old) - lately it keeps jamming and can't go from the big chain ring to the small and and vica versa and only does so after a few tries (which is a bit frustrating especially in a race) what is the cause of this and can I fix it or should I take it to a shop?

HP has a call centre, they are the Compaq agents in SA. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

There's always lots of debate about this cable stretch business. Some say it does; others say the housing wears. Personally, I can't believe cable stretches with the low stress on it. I always park my bike on the smallest rings and haven't had to replace a cable yet.

But let's say it does stretch. Simply park the bike in the lowest gear, undo the cable bolt, retension by holding with pliers, lock up the nut and re-index. Bike shops make a lot of money from the simplest jobs.

Check there's nothing snagging the cable. I've even had sticky energy drink bind the cable. And lastly, if your gears go out during a race, use the barrel adjusters.

I have several Compaq laptops. PM me if you don't come right, maybe I can help.

There's always lots of debate about this cable stretch business. Some say it does; others say the housing wears. Personally, I can't believe cable stretches with the low stress on it. I always park my bike on the smallest rings and haven't had to replace a cable yet.

But let's say it does stretch. Simply park the bike in the lowest gear, undo the cable bolt, retension by holding with pliers, lock up the nut and re-index. Bike shops make a lot of money from the simplest jobs.

Check there's nothing snagging the cable. I've even had sticky energy drink bind the cable. And lastly, if your gears go out during a race, use the barrel adjusters.

The "stretch" ghostly phenomenom could be any number of things - the outer getting getting conpacted, the cable stretching, the end settling onto the outer - whatever the cause I have always had to retention new cables after a week or two. 99% of the time it can be done by adjusting the barrel or nipping up the cable like you said.

It's amazing how simple this job is and how much money shops make out of it...

My 1st suggestion would be for you to take those Compaq gears/groupset off your bike and sell them to me for R1000.00.

2nd suggestion would be for you to install Sh!tmano, especially if you like fishing.

My 1st suggestion would be for you to take those Compaq gears/groupset off your bike and sell them to me for R1000.00.

2nd suggestion would be for you to install Sh!tmano, especially if you like fishing.

The OP didn't want to upgrade just fix the entry level stuff they have :whistling: