Seatpost slipping. Clamp fatigue?

kandui

Put my bike back together after Sani and now my seat post is slipping! It was absolutely fine before.

Ride a Niner Air Carbon with a Thompson Alu seat post and it's held together by a KCNC 34,9 clamp. Cleaned the inside of the frame tube, wiped the post down, checked the clamp and give it some WD40, but it's still slipping. Could the clamp be worn out after 6 months?

Pissing me off and I need a remedy. New clamp?

I had the same problem, treid everything but a new clamp. Put on a new clamp and solved the problem.

Have you tried putting on some carbon paste on the seatpost - worked for me on my Tallboy

+1

Chalk is a good gripper for carbon. I don't think that the clamp is failing.

Edited by andrè traut

Cool guys, thanks. The clamp looks fine and has not been damaged in any way. Will give the Carbon paste a try. Probably something you get at Motor Spares places?

Put my bike back together after Sani and now my seat post is slipping! It was absolutely fine before.

Ride a Niner Air Carbon with a Thompson Alu seat post and it's held together by a KCNC 34,9 clamp. Cleaned the inside of the frame tube, wiped the post down, checked the clamp and give it some WD40, but it's still slipping. Could the clamp be worn out after 6 months?

Pissing me off and I need a remedy. New clamp?

The clamp cannot wear. I have the same frame and seatpost and use carbon paste to secure it with no issues. That stuff works. Get the FSA bike-specific paste.

Edited by RacerX

Chalke as in Kruit?

Yip, chalk powder is recommended by Specialized.

Edited by andrè traut

Cool guys, thanks. The clamp looks fine and has not been damaged in any way. Will give the Carbon paste a try. Probably something you get at Motor Spares places?

No get a cycling specific carbon assembly paste - they have micro granules in them which helps lock the seatpost in place, although they call it carbon assembly paste it can be used on alu and other materials as well. I use Tacx.

No get a cycling specific carbon assembly paste - they have micro granules in them which helps lock the seatpost in place, although they call it carbon assembly paste it can be used on alu and other materials as well. I use Tacx.

Yup, make sure you have removed ALL oil grease etc from inside the seat tube and on the seatpost. use the Tacx Carbon Assembly Paste. creates the necessary friction to stop seatpost slippage, and reduces the ammount of torque needed to clamp, apparently by 30%. (stick to the manf clamp torque recommendations though for safety).

Ok. Save me hassle of phoning around Cape Town. Work in Obs. Which shop will have carbon paste in stock?

Edited by kandui