Silverback or Scott

MartinFL

I don't think I'll buy from an LBS that stole my old bike...

whistling.gif

was thinking the same thing. I'd go for the Silverback. I had a Ventura and it was awesome!

Have a look at Hotspot Cycles. They stole our bikes and we bought 2012 Scotts for very good price there! I'm in the 7th heaven! Got them now for 2 weeks, rode my first race with them last weekend!

eek.gif Huh????? I wonder who they stole the Scotts from then & no wonder you got a very good price...

Personally I'd go for the better specs as opposed to the big brand. Also worth checking out the SB Spectra 3 - only slightly more expensive than the Alpine 1

I think the guy mean, his bikes got stolen. full stop. and then he bought from hot spot cycles

Punctur...punktua.... puncter F@kkit !!!!....... commas & full stops can change a whole story huh???

I heard spelling helps as well but I'm buggered there!!!whistling.gif

Punctur...punktua.... puncter F@kkit !!!!....... commas & full stops can change a whole story huh???

I heard spelling helps as well but I'm buggered there!!!whistling.gif

Hier le^ my vrou Griet; In die hemel is sy; niet in die hel, dit weet ek wel.

vs.

Hier le^ my vrou Griet; In die hemel is sy niet; in die hel, dit weet ek wel.

happy.png

Personally I'd go for the better specs as opposed to the big brand. Also worth checking out the SB Spectra 3 - only slightly more expensive than the Alpine 1

What is the best price I can expect to negotiate on the Spectra 3 and be happy with to settle for it?

I only had problems with my Scott Aspect, traded it and bought an Axis A10, we getting ripped off in any case in SA

Edited by Mr.E

My first bicycle was the Silverback Ventura, and I have had no problems with it. Forget about the sticker on the bike and buy the best specked one.

What is the best price I can expect to negotiate on the Spectra 3 and be happy with to settle for it?

I used the cyclefactory website as rough guideline for price when I went bikeshopping earlier this year. They advertise the Spectra 3 at R7,500 ( and the Alpine 1 at R7,100) which imo means you shouldn't pay more than R7k for the Spectra and might even get it for less if your shop are clearing 2012 stock for the 2013 range.

Good luck with the decision!

• 3 weeks later...

My first bike was a Silverback. Gave me a good five years, and I still keep it as my back up bike. Really good value for money. I've since moved on to a Scott Scale, which is totally awesome.

IMHO, I reckon if you spending more than R10k look at the Scott range, less than that you probably better off with the Silverback range. When I bought the Scott I was seriously considering the Silverback Spectra, but then I got a surprise boost to the the budget clap.gif .