Cape Town Cycle Lane

MTBeer

I notice there are quite a few chops who ride on the road instead of the cycle lane in the mornings(and other times). Anyone want to explain why?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice there are quite a few chops who ride on the road instead of the cycle lane in the mornings(and other times). Anyone want to explain why?

+1

I've seen a number of guys doing this on the R27 section...I mean it is right there..you don't have to stress about taxis taking you out or anything! And don't start the nonsense about punctures..the shoulder of the road is just as dirty, if not more, than the cyclelane and atleast the cyclelane gives you options to swerve without being flattened by a car...

+1

I've seen a number of guys doing this on the R27 section...I mean it is right there..you don't have to stress about taxis taking you out or anything! And don't start the nonsense about punctures..the shoulder of the road is just as dirty, if not more, than the cyclelane and atleast the cyclelane gives you options to swerve without being flattened by a car...

there are even guys riding on the section past Milnerton Golf course and Woodbridge Island, where there is no yellow line shoulder.

Just silly,

How are other road user supposed to give respect to cyclist when they dont even use the sections made specially for them by tax payers.

Pity we can't have it up on the reef if they not keen down there

Reasons sited on other threads:

- Thorns on the cycle lane (I never had a puncture on the cycle lane before)

- Pedestrians / joggers congesting the lanes

- Motorists not yielding at cycle crossings out of Sunset Beach, Table View etc.

- Not condusive to group training rides

- Unsafe sections through Paarden Island (especially the section where you cross under the N1)

I enjoy the cycle lane, but if riders decide to rather risk their lives on the R27, please let them. These guys weaken the human gene pool, so we need to get rid of them before they reproduce.

- Motorists not yielding at cycle crossings out of Sunset Beach, Table View etc.

- Unsafe sections through Paarden Island (especially the section where you cross under the N1)

I enjoy the cycle lane, but if riders decide to rather risk their lives on the R27, please let them. These guys weaken the human gene pool, so we need to get rid of them before they reproduce.

actual reason = I'm more important than anyone else, so f..k you all.

I was in CT last week and you guys are really lucky. Freaking cycling lanes! How awsome is that?!

I alos took a drive (sadly with the car cause I did not have my bike there) to Jonkershoek. There is a path there next to the road leading to Jonkershoek and with all the autum leaves it must be a kodak pic :).

I am heading down there in Dec again. This time the bike is going with!

I must admit, those pesky two-abreast runners really do spoil the whole day, almost more than having to wait a few moments if a car does not yield. No wonder it makes more sense to ride in the road where you stop at the red lights and share the lane with friendly motorists. I suppose those 20 strong commuter groups do have a point though.

- Thorns on the cycle lane (I never had a puncture on the cycle lane before) (+1)

- Pedestrians / joggers congesting the lanes (Never found this a problem)

- Motorists not yielding at cycle crossings out of Sunset Beach, Table View etc. (there are traffic lights, press the bloody button and wait for green)

- Not condusive to group training rides (Perhaps?, but you can do that almost anywhere else, other side of Blouberg)

- Unsafe sections through Paarden Island (especially the section where you cross under the N1) (Never had issues and security guards everywhere)

I was in CT last week and you guys are really lucky. Freaking cycling lanes! How awsome is that?!

I alos took a drive (sadly with the car cause I did not have my bike there) to Jonkershoek. There is a path there next to the road leading to Jonkershoek and with all the autum leaves it must be a kodak pic :).

I am heading down there in Dec again. This time the bike is going with!

If your bike is a MTB, Jonkershoek is a great place to cycle.

Jonkershoek is another place where the chops ride in the road instead of the cycle lane.

Edited by MTBorDIE

Guest ctMTBer

Punctures, and having to slow down at the intersections?

Punctures, and having to slow down at the intersections?

Punctures..not valid..intersections..you should slow down anyway, and it is not a race. It is about being out there on your bike, being safe, not being stressed or the cause of someone else's stress and just enjoying it. But each to their own, you wanna be the guy riding on the shoulder or in the road while there is a cycle lane so be it.. Just defies my logic.

Edited by lock

I use the Cycling Lane once a week for a training ride on my Mtb.

I don't see thorns on the path. The tarmac is excellent and there is enough space to avoid any pointy stuff should it be there.

Never had an issue with congestion. You can see so far ahead that there's enough time for any evasive action.

The only long wait for cars is where you come out of Paarden Eiland and have to cross Marine Drive. At the other intersections I find it easy to cross.

I use the Lane to train on my own and with a friend, so no problem there. If you want to train in a Peloton, you are going to have problems on the road too.

Paarden Eiland has been fine. Visibility is good and there is enough time to take evasive action if you feel there is a threat. Ride in the middle of the Bus Lane through PE, if you want more space to dodge an attacker. You can see the buses coming a long way off.

Stop making excuses and use the Bike Lane. Maybe the chops riding on the verge are closet pervs wanting to check out some cleavage or leg when they pass cars stuck in traffic.

Probably cannot use the search function to find the path....

I use the Cycling Lane once a week for a training ride on my Mtb.

I don't see thorns on the path. The tarmac is excellent and there is enough space to avoid any pointy stuff should it be there.

Never had an issue with congestion. You can see so far ahead that there's enough time for any evasive action.

The only long wait for cars is where you come out of Paarden Eiland and have to cross Marine Drive. At the other intersections I find it easy to cross.

I use the Lane to train on my own and with a friend, so no problem there. If you want to train in a Peloton, you are going to have problems on the road too.

Paarden Eiland has been fine. Visibility is good and there is enough time to take evasive action if you feel there is a threat. Ride in the middle of the Bus Lane through PE, if you want more space to dodge an attacker. You can see the buses coming a long way off.

Stop making excuses and use the Bike Lane. Maybe the chops riding on the verge are closet pervs wanting to check out some cleavage or leg when they pass cars stuck in traffic.

that's about the only acceptable reason for riding there...

Actually this is a load of hogwash. I use the cycle lane in front of hartleyvale stadium which runs runs all the way thru' to claremont. In front of hartleyvale is a cycle lane and a pedestrian lane, yet you will always see some cyclist in fact a majority of them still using the road, and even better they ride 2 or 3 abreast. Whats up with that???