[Event] Robertson Winery Wacky Wine Weekend MTB 2012

Robertson Winery MTB

Nice track hey zac.A. I broke my RD in the first 5km's. Was stuck in the lower 5 gears on the back and all 3 in front. What was your time? First 16km's was rough for me, made up good time on the last 24km's. Did it in 2 hour 30 minutes pretty average but I'm pleased! Was my first mtb race :D.

One thing that was bad is the shorter races merging with the 42km, don't like sitting behind someone not getting away.

Yup, the track was really nice, the 1st 16km suited me, cross country style, it went donwhill after that, finished in about 2hr42mins, had a long week and the 4am start didn't help anything. <_<

The short route intersections are always a problem. comes with it I guess.

Although the last little mud crossing was bad, people walking all over the place, one person was screaming about the mud in her shoes :lol:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's decent man well done. Thinking of joining the ppa, think it's worth it starting off earlier and probably riding in a stronger bundle. How does the ppa groups work?

That's decent man well done. Thinking of joining the ppa, think it's worth it starting off earlier and probably riding in a stronger bundle. How does the ppa groups work?

You should :thumbup: you get seeded on your previous rides, lots of calculations and stuff, check their website (www.pedalpower.org.za) and then seeding, will tell you everything you need to know.

Also helps a lot on the road, if you're into that kind of stuff ;)

Once again an awesome event. I always enjoy my work there. Liz, Rupert, Niel, Barry and the whole team - WELL DONE again.

To all the riders well done. It was really great seeing and chatting to many of you. Bring on 2013.

Very poor communication from the organizers as well as race tec. My first time I will be doing the race and thus far the experience is not very good. Send an email as well as sms's to annelize with no replies. Had to wait 3 days to get a response from race tec. I finally sorted myself out but struggling to get my transponder registered.

Thanks to no response on my post, email or sms, I am not on the results on racetec. Couldn't get my transponder registered. Thanks a lot for that. Really appreciate it.

Thanks to no response on my post, email or sms, I am not on the results on racetec. Couldn't get my transponder registered. Thanks a lot for that. Really appreciate it.

Are you a member of PPA. If not, your result won't be posted. It's one of PPA's rules that only paid up members results are posted since they cover the cost of timing the events.

No Francois I'm not.

Are you a member of PPA. If not, your result won't be posted. It's one of PPA's rules that only paid up members results are posted since they cover the cost of timing the events.

That can't be right since they do list temp members names with resuslts....last year's results also including temp results.

No Francois I'm not.

That can't be right since they do list temp members names with resuslts....last year's results also including temp results.

Dude, there are various reasons why PPA members could have temp numbers on the results. If you're not a PPA member you dont get a result.

If you join now (and you rode with a chip) - they will add your name to the results.

Whether you like it or hate it, thats the system.

My impressions of the 42km race:

• Was pleasantly surprised by the lots of single track at the start of the race, was expecting jeep track and farm roads only.
  • Signage and marshalling on route was top notch (not always a given at mtb races)
  • Port and beer at waterpoints, I dont usually stop at waterpoints at shorter races, couldn't resist on Saturday :whistling:
  • Not really a fan of shorter and longer routes merging halfway through the race, was a bit of a schlepp working your way through the slower short-route riders (although for a few km's I did feel like a racing snake and not the middle-of-the-bunch-rider I really am)
  • On a personal note - for the first time in my short mtb career I caught slower riders on the downhills :w00t: (and not just the other way around) & and won a price at the lucky draw (will teach me to stick around longer after races)

No Francois I'm not.

Well that is their rule and it was announced to every temp group that started.

Best is to join PPA and then as you get fitter and your skills improve you will move up the seeding and should always get your result.

Enjoy your riding.

My impressions of the 42km race:

• Was pleasantly surprised by the lots of single track at the start of the race, was expecting jeep track and farm roads only.
  • Signage and marshalling on route was top notch (not always a given at mtb races)
  • Port and beer at waterpoints, I dont usually stop at waterpoints at shorter races, couldn't resist on Saturday :whistling:
  • Not really a fan of shorter and longer routes merging halfway through the race, was a bit of a schlepp working your way through the slower short-route riders (although for a few km's I did feel like a racing snake and not the middle-of-the-bunch-rider I really am)
  • On a personal note - for the first time in my short mtb career I caught slower riders on the downhills :w00t: (and not just the other way around) & and won a price at the lucky draw (will teach me to stick around longer after races)

Pleased it was good for you. The organisers really do go out of their way to make this a good event. Unfortunately some rides do have the merging and I agree it can be a pain, but sometimes there isn't much of a choice. But I am sure the organisers will look at it s see what they can do.

Ja also thought I should join ppa. Thanks for some feedback...

Keep well.

A great event as always. Robertson, small town, big heart ! 763 total entries. Must admit was scared of all the mud beforehand and carrying a slight knee injury, only entered the 29km race, after doing the 42 km the previous 2 years. To my surprise the course was not really muddy at all and the times show that the mud, if any, did not really slow the riders down compared to last year. It was quite cold though and a bit more warm water would have been really nice at the end. Went for shower and enjoyed about 15 seconds of warm water before it abrubtly ran out ! Otherwise nice atmosphere and enjoyed the wine as well . Even got some Red Bull from the ladies walking around and handing them out ...must have looked like i needed one ...

I always enjoy this event. With the rain, I was sceptical about the route and how much fun it will be, but it drains very well and again I enjoyed every minute. Well done to all involved.

The route markers seem to be permanent. Are these trails open throughout the year?

I had quite a nice ride, went full out, heart rate at 93% for the first 40mins, slowed it down a little after that.

Then I broke my FD, so no shifting, small chainring it would be, and a slow ride on the downhill half :thumbdown:

First 20km's were amazing though, steep ups and downs, lovely singletrack!

Nice track hey zac.A. I broke my RD in the first 5km's. Was stuck in the lower 5 gears on the back and all 3 in front. What was your time? First 16km's was rough for me, made up good time on the last 24km's. Did it in 2 hour 30 minutes pretty average but I'm pleased! Was my first mtb race :D.

One thing that was bad is the shorter races merging with the 42km, don't like sitting behind someone not getting away.

Well at least you two had a great race - first ever MTB race for me, 2nd MTB ride ever, on a vrek old HEAVY bike - it all made for a very interesting ride.

For the first hour my HR was in the 170's/180's so I killed myself there. The downhills were great except for the ruts made from the rains - the bunny hopping over was awesome. I walked a lot of the climbs - bad gearing and frame too small for me - sitting near the front of the saddle and the front wheel kept lifting :cursing: That steep downhill and the water crossing were my more memorable moments. The mud was really krap but it's part and parcel of MTB.

Finished the race in 3:06 with a k@k sore lower back and loose front deraileur trigger shifter :eek:

Note for future rides - go buy that Giant XTC 29'er :thumbup: ....... one day when I have that kind of money :(

..... Went for shower and enjoyed about 15 seconds of warm water before it abrubtly ran out !

@Skubarra - I am glad I stayed too - won a lucky draw prize too :)

@Topwine - You are lucky - my shower was ICE COLD from start to finish (about 30seconds) LOL!

Edit: typo

Edited by Tiny K