Anyone interested in social time trials this summer?

T-Bob

I've been mulling over getting a social time trial going on a Thursday evening come the summer time. I remember when I first started club riding in the UK as a junior there was always a weekly evening 10 miler time trial followed by a few beers and banter.

There are some great routes around Cape Town and would be great to have some fun competition every week... Was thinking things like the Camps Bay to Llandudno one week, Chappies Hill climb the next week, 10km flat speed demon the week after. All for a bit of fun, bragging rights and a meat tray (best award in any amateur sport in 'stralia. Won a meat tray, you're a god). Can have a league table and the winner gets a keg and a meat tray.

What do people reckon?

post-15825-0-20838700-1338743670.jpg

Edited by hellocolour

I'm keen too!

have any idea on what time it may be if it comes together?

Edited by Zac.A

I guess that's all open for discussion, what suits folk and when the sun sets. As for kick off When do you think it starts getting light enough in the evenings?

I thought initially working on 25 people starting @ 2 min intervals and depending on the route and the average time to get a overall evening timescale.

Thought?

I guess that's all open for discussion, what suits folk and when the sun sets. As for kick off When do you think it starts getting light enough in the evenings?

I thought initially working on 25 people starting @ 2 min intervals and depending on the route and the average time to get a overall evening timescale.

Thought?

2 Mins is quite a big gap for a social TT.

The UCT one I went to (15people?) had 1min gaps, yes you catch people but it's over faster.

If the courses are going to be 10km or Climbs then 1min should be fine I think.

Lol!!! this brings back memories now,in 2006 I did the 2 year stint in the UK thingie & I tried getting into the road racing scene there like what we have here in 80-100km on the weekend, the 10miler was about as far as I got. If I'm not mistaken it was called the Merton Cycling Club. So yeah I'm keen.

2 Mins is quite a big gap for a social TT.

The UCT one I went to (15people?) had 1min gaps, yes you catch people but it's over faster.

If the courses are going to be 10km or Climbs then 1min should be fine I think.

Good call, I was thinking 1 min initially but wasn't too sure but it does make more sense and especially for 'dangling the carrot' angle on the flatter courses.

Edited by hellocolour

Good call, I was thinking 1 min initially but wasn't too sure but it does make more sense and especially for 'dangling the carrot' angle on the flatter courses.

This will be pretty sick.

Lots of nice TT courses to do on this side, the Glen and Signal Hill, Chappies, Ou Kaapse, Red Hill, Suikerbossie, Mount Rhodes.

Then the flat sections as well.

I'm definitely keen to give it a go if the time/location allows me to get there after work!

It's Cape Town, doesn't work finish @ 4pm... 1:30 on a Friday. ;)

Actually I was thinking that a great benefit of a TT and staggered start is you can always tack latecomers on the end if the traffic is causing the usual chaos.

It's Cape Town, doesn't work finish @ 4pm... 1:30 on a Friday. ;)

Actually I was thinking that a great benefit of a TT and staggered start is you can always tack latecomers on the end if the traffic is causing the usual chaos.

What time you thinking of?

Keen. Possibly also do the ladies mile tt. Nice + - 10 min route.

Can do red hill etc.

ladies mile TT is pretty bland compared with what could be done, but it's a nice route and not very trafficky.