Comparing local prices to international prices

tunariaan

I am looking at buying gripshifts but check the prices here and there

Local R1799.00

International R1086.79

Yip, I am also gutted when I look at stats like that.

Yes yes, the warranty blah blah blah, high end stuff should last more than a year with HARD use, then I will gladly pay for the repair, and sometimes when replacing the item, STILL come out cheaper than buying local :blink:

I am all for supporting our local market, but at 2x the price (and that is buying full retail int, shipping and vat)...

I think someone is doing us over, BADLY!!!

on the bright side --

Look Quartz Carbon Ti Pedals

Local R2199.00

international R2543.80

wys jou die gras is nie altyd groener aan die ander kant nie maar mens moet def bietjie ronkyk as jy die beste pryse wil he

Comparing local prices to international prices

Don't do it, you will just depress yourself.

How much would the import tax be on shifters?

No Tax, only VAT and a small handling fee normally...

I agree, international prices as a rule are cheaper, however I found that building up a good relationship with your LBS can be advantageous - they are offering me 15% discount on cash purchases. Although they still sometime come in higher than the international price, it only does so marginally making it worth my while to shop locally.

I am looking at buying gripshifts but check the prices here and there

Local R1799.00

International R1086.79

although in that instance (unless you buy something additional to take it over 2k) the shipping costs will make it the same price

I agree, international prices as a rule are cheaper, however I found that building up a good relationship with your LBS can be advantageous - they are offering me 15% discount on cash purchases. Although they still sometime come in higher than the international price, it only does so marginally making it worth my while to shop locally.

I know a lot of guys say that but I believe the majority of lbs's are just there to get your money, I trust masons and gecko cycles but that's about it.

Buy components from cwc and have the local bike mechanic service my bike.

I never compare prices coz it just makes you sad. I recently purchased a wheelset and my LBS matched the price of CRC. If you dont ask for discount then you not gonna get it!!!

I know a lot of guys say that but I believe the majority of lbs's are just there to get your money, I trust masons and gecko cycles but that's about it.

Buy components from cwc and have the local bike mechanic service my bike.

As opposed any other reason for starting a business? <_<

As opposed any other reason for starting a business? <_<

Meant to rip you off, to charge you overpriced prices on components and services and not servicing properly.

In Paarl we are very fortunate to have someone like Jaques Rossouw's dad. The oom has been servicing bike for many years. Asks me R250 for a service and then he does everything, want to upgrade? He gets the best prices and gives good knowledge.

His main focus is to get you out and riding. That is all he want's. He is not in it for the money, he says cycling is already so expensive he is just trying to lighten the load. Now I know the lbs's also has to make a living, pay rent, employees and run risks but hell, how can one shop charge you double that of another shop or triple that of crc on a R1000 item? Doesn't make sense to me.

Just my thoughts on the matter :D

Edited by wheelerdealer