Learning To Jump at Tokai this weekend

Hairy

Hi All

Following the very kind offer from a fellow rider to take a group of us to Tokai in order to learn some of the basics of jumping we managed to get a bit of air on a couple of runs down the ST.

It really is a very simple thing to do, all one needs is to be able to watch an experienced rider clear it and give some description of what to do and then not to actually think about what you are going to do, but to rather just do it.

A couple of pics taken by MockTurtle from the Hub.

post-5403-0-82924200-1339400807.jpg

post-5403-0-98459700-1339400812.jpg

post-5403-0-97617900-1339400818.jpg

post-5403-0-70834000-1339400824.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh, front wheel down first without a transition is a sobering exp..

Well done Hairy, agreed, not that hard. Mid air balance comes naturally, you just have to try!

Meet you at DH1? All built with consideration of that type of bike!

ooh, front wheel down first without a transition is a sobering exp..

Well done Hairy, agreed, not that hard. Mid air balance comes naturally, you just have to try!

Meet you at DH1? All built with consideration of that type of bike!

I very rarely get out to TK so I have no idea where DH1 is, but where you the DH rider wearing the white and black kit?

I tell you what .... that feeling of weightlessness when you get it right is really amazing!

NICE!!! Some nice pics. Well done Hairy. It'll be all "up and away" from here! That log you're standing on is a favorite...gotta love Tokai!

Not me, that was Dan, we eventually met up and rode together making a train of 5 hitting one jump after another. I was in green that day..

The jumps in Tokai are progressive, easy to learn on and allows you to progress to, dare I say it.. new heights?

There is one jump in particular, not on the DH but on the long open ST heading down to the quarry. It has a very slack take-off built against a stump that, when you get it right, lets you clear a wooden slatted bridge/palette.. the height there is CRAZY but perfectly safe to squash it short in case.. It could be the best one since it is immediately followed by a left hand berm that you literally zig-zag into, getting some more air on the entry of-course!

So many trails have much more potential when you are clearing the stunts, it sets you up at the right speed and brakes sort of become redundant. :thumbup: Warning: Addictive! :w00t:

I also need to add that I fell completely in love with the Shova again after this session!

Oh, too late for warnings.. the bug, she's bitten.

Serious credit needs to go to Johno the rider who took us out there to learn the basics, as some riders like me have never jumped before. Under his guidance it just became easy.

Now to talk about riders giving back to the sport. He has previously done basic skills clinics and now is doing the jump school intro over three weeks to three groups of us and this is done purely out of his love for the sport. No costs involved for any of the people present, just a good attitude and all is well.

So a big up to Johno, there is a need for more people like you out there giving back to the sport.

Hairy

Serious credit needs to go to Johno the rider who took us out there to learn the basics, as some riders like me have never jumped before. Under his guidance it just became easy.

Now to talk about riders giving back to the sport. He has previously done basic skills clinics and now is doing the jump school intro over three weeks to three groups of us and this is done purely out of his love for the sport. No costs involved for any of the people present, just a good attitude and all is well.

So a big up to Johno, there is a need for more people like you out there giving back to the sport.

Hairy

Nice post!

And cool pics!

KUDOS to John'o! i reckon he should get Hoggie Jump School cards made that he can hand out or something - there were a few riders on saturday who were quite keen to try the jumps out...

and yeah one of my fave pics of the day:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7234/7358244484_ff1ffeafa5.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg by OneRandomMonkey, on Flickr

great thing about that pic is that you can't see my eyes are closed and that I am screaming like a little girl ......... :)