What MTB Wheels - Strong and reasonably light

Izak

Hi Guys n Gals

I'm looking to replace the set of stock rims on my Ghost.

Looking for something strong that can handle the bumps n jumps.

The Crank Brothers sets as well as Mavic Crossmax SLRs look very cool but don't know how strong they are.

Any recommendations?

26er? Hope hubs, Stans 355 or Flows (stronger 100g heavier) rims.

Edited by manbearpig

Magic Rims, Pillar spokes and DDP Tech2 Hubs, they will be hand build by DDP himself, he IS the best in the business.

Tell us which Ghost you have first. + type of riding you do and where you ride.

Ai, Crow with the voice of reason ... add to that how much you weigh in at please

I would never recommend ZTR flows to anyone they are crap. They may be light but they are light for a reason you sacrifice strength. And they are supposed to be the strongest Ztr rims. Strength wise mavic are still the best. Dont sacrifice strength for weight rather take a crap before you ride or lose a couple kgs

26er yeah.

Cool will go give those a look!!

DT SWISS 1540'S.........the strongest and lightest wheels available,they role so smooth

if you need i have 3 pairs

I would never recommend ZTR flows to anyone they are crap. They may be light but they are light for a reason you sacrifice strength. And they are supposed to be the strongest Ztr rims. Strength wise mavic are still the best. Dont sacrifice strength for weight rather take a crap before you ride or lose a couple kgs

So you would recommend something along the 819 line then?

Mavic Crossmax SX

The SLRs and all those are XC rims, whereas the SXs are the trail/AM model. They're pretty light and strong. Already tubeless.

I run them on my AM bike. I'm a tad under 90kg and have hit 6m gap jumps, some nice rocky DH trails, and even had a crash in a rock garden. They still run as true as the day I got them. Only drawback is they're not that cheap. I'm guessing between 6-7k a set.

There will be a crosstrail/crossride version which will be cheaper. But won't be as light

Mavic TN719 rims, think they come in a 26" version as well. weighs 510g. Absolutely bombproof. Add dirty flea hubs and dt spokes and you got yourself a very tough and good value wheelset.

I had 819's on my 26' stumpy and in 2 years I never had to true them or replace a spoke.

Edited by G-Unit

819's are solid i had them on a zula and they were great and UST, Im building up a Morewood sukuma and running 823's on it. I have 823's on my makulu and they are bombproof