Where do you do your FTP?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. Thank you.

Quick question, riding a hill in a certain time, then riding it faster, all other things constant. Wouldn't it be better to see both power and hr? Power might be more, but hr also more which could mean you're just learning to suffer more and not really getting stronger?

Consider this

400 watts avg over 24:42 mins

Orica PRO Luke Durbridge during yesterday's TTT, Giro

post-12015-0-09604200-1399748509_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of SRM

They look so controlled - nearly gracefull while they do it. Amazing.

Quick question, riding a hill in a certain time, then riding it faster, all other things constant. Wouldn't it be better to see both power and hr? Power might be more, but hr also more which could mean you're just learning to suffer more and not really getting stronger?

Power zones are mostly used during training, Andy'

I have my power zones and HR zones next to each other on one of my data pages. Occasionally use it whilst riding.

Useful to assess whether I can force more power through at similar HR over time, hence HR still play a pivotal role in analysis.

Edited by ' Dale

Correct - that's why you need to look at both HR and power when analysing rides.

Thanks dale and v12.

I have thought about getting a power meter, but I must admit it's just so expensive. And then which one, hub, crank, pedal. And can only use on one bike. And when you have different wheels you can't swap the hub. I just don't know.

Thanks dale and v12.

I have thought about getting a power meter, but I must admit it's just so expensive. And then which one, hub, crank, pedal. And can only use on one bike. And when you have different wheels you can't swap the hub. I just don't know.

It's worth the bucks for the level you race at

No question

Maak vol daai spaarvarkie :-)

Edited by ' Dale

Thanks dale and v12.

Andy - you are close to me - ping me after Sani, and you can come and play with mine on the trainer - it will open your eyes...

Personally I think you get the most useful info out of a power meter you use on a trainer primarily - using it during a normal ride has value, but not as much as during a structured session. Racing with a power meter is very useful if you are trying to understand your personal strengths and weaknesses, but some clever benchmarking can get you there too.

Trying to run structured high intensity intervals on the road with a power meter is a short route to a near death experience.... imho.... if you are lucky... longer intervals are ok on the road, but not completely comparable to the same session done on a trainer.

Thank you for the offer v12. Let's get this little Sani under the belt and then I'll come over. What beer do you drink?

Thank you for the offer v12. Let's get this little Sani under the belt and then I'll come over. What beer do you drink?

Whatever is cold... :) somewhat limited tolerance for beer.... must be getting old...

Not FTP, but related to performance. I did a 1.7km & 6% climb x 3 on Saturday and below are the stats in terms of time and average hr (% of max).

1st: 5:39 & 151 (79%)

2nd: 5:09 & 162 (85%)

3rd: 4:45 & 168 (88%)

Then I was wondering how my average hr would compare against the total time, or put differently, how many times did my heart beat. Slower would mean lower average hr, but also more total beats because it takes longer.

1st: 853 beats

2nd: 834 beats

3rd: 798 beats

In this instance, going faster resulted in an average higher hr, but total beats actually went down because of the time reducing by more.

This probably doesn't mean anything, but still interesting. For me at least.

I would probably go crazy if I get power numbers too in terms of analysing everything! Here is the chart from my previous post.

post-12446-0-45305600-1399884790_thumb.jpg