AM tyres... what you running?

patches

if they use it for DH, you can use any where else. Excellent grip and rolling, and surprisingly good at shedding mud. Can be somewhat unnerving in the transition from middle to side knobs, but that's a subjective matter. Stick to the 2.35 profile> the narrower the profile, the quicker it is to transition to the side knobs, so its less unnerving when the tyre starts to skid during the transition. The maxxis minion mostly removes that bit of skid, that is, it's more predictable when it does skid. On the High roller, it can be pretty swift, hence unnerving. But again, subjective.

Will I hate my life racing an Enduro event while climbing in the transition stages with 2,35" High rollers. Judging by the grip of the 2,1" it shouldnt be to bad?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will I hate my life racing an Enduro event while climbing in the transition stages with 2,35" High rollers. Judging by the grip of the 2,1" it shouldnt be to bad?

Nope. Guys also use them on the enduro circuit. Only penalty is the weight.

there's an XC specific version of the HR, but stay the f-away from it: sidewalls are thinner than teh king's invisible clothing..

I'm with you on that.. having a hard time keeping the back on track with the Nobby Nic on the rear.. I'm sure I ride more on the folded sidewall than I do on the tread?! The tyre is already harder than I'd prefer andit's still folding in corners.

I had such a close call in Jonkers when the front Nobby Nic folded while I was going around a switchback at speed. You just don't need that sh*t in your life! So ja, I'm back to HR's. You can run them as flat as you like and no problems folding.

What do you have on the back?

Sadly I still have a Nobby Nic at the back, but as soon as that's done I'm gonna go for something that's a bit tougher. I'm actually wondering whether a X-King won't be good enough for real wheel purposes? Have them on my Zula for the XC stuff, and jeepers they can take a lot of abuse.

I had such a close call in Jonkers when the front Nobby Nic folded while I was going around a switchback at speed. You just don't need that sh*t in your life! So ja, I'm back to HR's. You can run them as flat as you like and no problems folding.

i find that interesting, as a schwalbe tyre with snakeskin can be run at substantially lower pressures than a comparable UST compliant minion or HR without folding. I've run my HDs down to 1bar pressure and while soft, it didnt fold. With a Minion, i'd hit 1.8 bar and that sucker would start folding faster than the latest wall street bubble.

what nobby nic were you running at the time?

Edited by Capricorn

i find that interesting, as a schwalbe tyre with snakeskin can be run at substantially lower pressures than a comparable UST compliant minion or HR without folding. I've run my HDs down to 1bar pressure and while soft, it didnt fold. With a Minion, i'd hit 1.8 bar and that sucker would start folding faster than the latest wall street bubble.

Cap I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. Not exactly sure which version they are, but definately not the snakeskin one.

Cap I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. Not exactly sure which version they are, but definately not the snakeskin one.

the non-SS versions are wobbly mofos, and have rather delicate sidewalls too.. *shudder* Do.Not.Want.

the non-SS versions are wobbly mofos, and have rather delicate sidewalls too.. *shudder* Do.Not.Want.

I just wasn't expecting them to be soooooooooo flimsy. Maybe a bit naive to think that a 650g tyre was gonna be as tuff as a 900g HR. Dumbass.

Miy NN are Snakeskin, Evo, TL and the idea that I could be overtaken by the back is not inspiring.. my personal limits remain where they are.. :(

Miy NN are Snakeskin, Evo, TL and the idea that I could be overtaken by the back is not inspiring.. my personal limits remain where they are.. :(

what pressure and what rim did u pair it up with? (just for making mental notes about tyre performance. Tyres and stuff touches me on my gnurrr)

I would guess between 2~2.5 on Subrosa.. Spank; since we are talking dirty.

are those UST compatible rims?

Sadly I still have a Nobby Nic at the back, but as soon as that's done I'm gonna go for something that's a bit tougher. I'm actually wondering whether a X-King won't be good enough for real wheel purposes? Have them on my Zula for the XC stuff, and jeepers they can take a lot of abuse.

I have an X-king on the back at the moment, if you ride anything like I do (back sliding into every berm you see just because it feels cool) then I wouldnt advise the X-king. As an XC tyre they seem very cool but when the riding gets a bit harsh not so much. I have seen wear on my X-king after every ride since I put it on the back.