AM tyres... what you running?

patches

just a note there: i have the HDs in super gravity carcass which is essentially DH thick sidewalls (4 layers) with a thinner rolling surface or cap (two layers). Really low pressures without folding. impressive trick tbh.

Do the HD's not feel sluggish at all? They look a lot "fatter" (for lack of a better word) on the rim than HR's of the same size? So I guess they grip like snot, but is the downside not a bit of sluggishness?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, 3C refers to a combination of 3 rubber compounds on one tyre: harder base layer, soft middle knobs with softer sideknobs (or other way around for the middle and side knobs).

Now however, 3C comes in different flavas:

3C Maxx Speed - harder compound for speed: XC and Enduro

3C Maxx Terra - softer than Speed, but lower rolling resistance than Grip

and 3C Maxx Grip - slowest rebound, mostest grip.

Not sure where Super Tacky (ST) fits into that new 3C scheme, but I hazard it's their ultra special rubber for DH

42a durometer.. soft all round. Ran these in the Lopes Bling Bling's few years back.. What a tyre, so wide with high side knobs, the bike could stand on it's own!

ah yes.. schwalbe versus maxxis.

schwalbe 2.35" is more like maxxis 2.5".

I will also confess, despite my adoration of all things schwalbe, to be in two minds about HDs. Mayhem knows this well.

I had an HD that was trailstar compound. Foudn it a bit slippery on climbs that was loose over hardpack. Made me look like i had way more leg strength that i really possessed. Moved onto the HDs with SG carcass and vertstar compound, the softest compound offered by schwalbe to us normal folks. Things definitely improved.

But to help the climbing issues with teh trailstar HD, i dropped the pressure. But with that HD at the back at that pressure, i tended to hit the rim a bit more.

HD at the back u might ask? yes, i got laughed at more than once about that...

42a durometer.. soft all round. Ran these in the Lopes Bling Bling's few years back.. What a tyre, so wide with high side knobs, the bike could stand on it's own!

i didnt manage to find one before maxxis retired the line, but have u ridden any of the 40a/ slow reezay compound tyres?

i didnt manage to find one before maxxis retired the line, but have u ridden any of the 40a/ slow reezay compound tyres?

No.. and I don't think I want to try either. The Blings would pick up everything in the trail and throw it at my eyes with brilliant accuracy!

Want to get me these for summer, especially with G-spot being so smooth, Any thoughts? Its dry in summer, and have my tyres for the wet.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/custom/tyres/large_holyroller.jpg

Want to get me these for summer, especially with G-spot being so smooth, Any thoughts? Its dry in summer, and have my tyres for the wet.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/custom/tyres/large_holyroller.jpg

On their way, This summer my bike will be an Enduro/AM/slopestyle cross breed of note, may even pop on my Snafu jump seat and cut an old seatpost.haha

Look what just arrived

post-3441-0-00844600-1383818241_thumb.jpg

post-3441-0-48384800-1383818247_thumb.jpg

post-3441-0-11328200-1383818255_thumb.jpg

Looks nice!

How thick are the sidewalls? (say compared to conti MK tubeless & Maxxis LUST)

How much they set you back?

yeah? Where'd you ride, and what makes you like it, Flow?

Rode Tokai,.

The side knobs stand out more than the Sturdy I had on there before, so it feels like I can push the bike over more.

It has what appears to be a decent sidewall, set up tubeless with no problem. With the ghetto split tube (new tube), just a bit of water to clean the talc powder and basically you can set it up with a handpump.

Also weight is decent at 780g for the size and amount of rubber there.

The Sturdy at the back and this at the front seem like a good combo, the sturdy is still new so not going to put the other one on the back just yet.

Looks nice!

How thick are the sidewalls? (say compared to conti MK tubeless & Maxxis LUST)

How much they set you back?

The sidewalls are decent. I'd say similar to the LUST, but I haven't had a look at one in ages. MK I have no idea.

Came in at about R390 including the shipping. I can probably get them cheaper if someone brings them back.

ah yes.. schwalbe versus maxxis.

schwalbe 2.35" is more like maxxis 2.5".

I will also confess, despite my adoration of all things schwalbe, to be in two minds about HDs. Mayhem knows this well.

I had an HD that was trailstar compound. Foudn it a bit slippery on climbs that was loose over hardpack. Made me look like i had way more leg strength that i really possessed. Moved onto the HDs with SG carcass and vertstar compound, the softest compound offered by schwalbe to us normal folks. Things definitely improved.

But to help the climbing issues with teh trailstar HD, i dropped the pressure. But with that HD at the back at that pressure, i tended to hit the rim a bit more.

HD at the back u might ask? yes, i got laughed at more than once about that...

I ordered a set of HD's for my bike (should arrive this week)

Got trailstar for front & pacestar at the back.

Guess I should prepare for being frowned upon :whistling: