AM tyres... what you running?

patches

But in the cape, on our trails, Minion is cool.

And if you're thinking of getting one, the UST version is the one to get when comparing with the Protection of the Contis. Fatter sidewalls than the non-UST version, therefore more puncture resistant.

exactly my thoughts... gotta be specific to Western Cape terrain and aggregate. will def. Look out for the UST version

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, 3C refers to a combination of 3 rubber compounds on one tyre: harder base layer, soft middle knobs with softer sideknobs (or other way around for the middle and side knobs).

Now however, 3C comes in different flavas:

3C Maxx Speed - harder compound for speed: XC and Enduro

3C Maxx Terra - softer than Speed, but lower rolling resistance than Grip

and 3C Maxx Grip - slowest rebound, mostest grip.

Not sure where Super Tacky (ST) fits into that new 3C scheme, but I hazard it's their ultra special rubber for DH

Faaaakit. It's becoming as complicated to buy tyres as it is buying Aqua Fresh toothpaste... there's like 27 different types... I just wanna brush my teeth/ride my bike.....too much choice?

actually, 3C refers to a combination of 3 rubber compounds on one tyre: harder base layer, soft middle knobs with softer sideknobs (or other way around for the middle and side knobs).

Not sure where Super Tacky (ST) fits into that new 3C scheme, but I hazard it's their ultra special rubber for DH

Thanks for the clarification...

They come in different casings, Single Ply, 2 Ply Downhill Specific (with Butyl inner), etc.

The downhill specific casing is heavy but tough

Yeah didnt wanna get too technical i saw on the Maxxis website the various compunds and stuff. with increase in technology on the tyre, so does the price increase. (i did notice there Tpi description did not make sense to me at all, but ya whateva..)

Faaaakit. It's becoming as complicated to buy tyres as it is buying Aqua Fresh toothpaste... there's like 27 different types... I just wanna brush my teeth/ride my bike.....too much choice?

Just the red white n blue for me, thanks! R 7.99 vs R 14 / R 15 for the "whitening" version. Fark.

see alot of the maxxis High Roller II in that design, but center knob transverse siping is different, as well as the braking edge on the side knobs: the CST has it in the other direction, so not quite sure what it does,maybe side knob support under braking?

even the website color scheme reminds me of Maxxis.

Should be an interesting tyre to ride, especially in wet conditions as those channels in the center and along the sides should shed mud pretty well.

Just checked and it seems I should get my tyres within the next 2 days :clap:

Just for what its worth....

Evanscycles has the MK II protect 2.4 for +/- R542 and the X-king Pro 2.4 for R507, thats the cheapest i could find. Didnt check a chance to check the Maxxis range yet.

Just the red white n blue for me, thanks! R 7.99 vs R 14 / R 15 for the "whitening" version. Fark.

But that's just the problem. I rock up at P n P to get my toob of basic red/white/blue and then you can't find the damn thing between all the other gazillion options. And after spending a fruitless 30 minutes searching for the precious, I then end up buying Colgate.

ya sorry i did meant to confuse, but i was pretty surprised to see that level of differentiation from maxxis. Schwalbe initially had that crap as well, but they've managed to consolidate their offerings rather nicely, where it comes to compound that is: vertstar, trailstar and pacestar.

Then additional to that, you have EVO for TLR, SG carcasses and snakeskin sidewalls.

the bottom of the schwalbe pile is performance line. QUite ironic.

Just checked and it seems I should get my tyres within the next 2 days :clap:

very keen to hear your thoughts on it.

ya sorry i did meant to confuse, but i was pretty surprised to see that level of differentiation from maxxis. Schwalbe initially had that crap as well, but they've managed to consolidate their offerings rather nicely, where it comes to compound that is: vertstar, trailstar and pacestar.

Then additional to that, you have EVO for TLR, SG carcasses and snakeskin sidewalls.

the bottom of the schwalbe pile is performance line. QUite ironic.

Hehe. Jeepers it's just baffling the range of choice. So the odds of buying the wrong tyre for your specific application are pretty good (e.g. my stupid non snake skin version of the Nobbless Nic...). But you seem to understand what these tyre manufacturers are on about, so expect a few calls from me!

Hehe. Jeepers it's just baffling the range of choice. So the odds of buying the wrong tyre for your specific application are pretty good (e.g. my stupid non snake skin version of the Nobbless Nic...). But you seem to understand what these tyre manufacturers are on about, so expect a few calls from me!

LOL. Tires are Capricorn's "thing". You want to get him to do something, you have 2 options. Wave him in the general direction of a new set of tires, or a 4-pack of monster...

hahaha not quite, but thanks for the vote of confidence :) I learn by doing like everyone else. Bit of a love-hate relationship with maxxis, but atm, I have all the time in the world for Schwalbe.

hahaha not quite, but thanks for the vote of confidence :) I learn by doing like everyone else. Bit of a love-hate relationship with maxxis, but atm, I have all the time in the world for Schwalbe.

Once my High Rollers are kaput, I will definately give the Hans Dampf's a go upfront. Especially since you said one can run them very pap. Which I likey. So for the front I'm sorted. Just need to find something good for the rear.

Once my High Rollers are kaput, I will definately give the Hans Dampf's a go upfront. Especially since you said one can run them very pap. Which I likey. So for the front I'm sorted. Just need to find something good for the rear.

just a note there: i have the HDs in super gravity carcass which is essentially DH thick sidewalls (4 layers) with a thinner rolling surface or cap (two layers). Really low pressures without folding. impressive trick tbh.