AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Question, a bit of topic... What do you guys think/know about Derby 40mm rims? 

buy them. Buy them now!

Iwan has a set on his Hungry Monkey. They're a bit more expensive than the Light Bicycle rims, but their quality is fantastic. And they're wider. 34mm ID vs 31.8mm. That makes a difference, fwiw

They cahnge the way a tyre performs DRASTICALLY. In a good way. Light, stiff, strong. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, a bit of topic... What do you guys think/know about Derby 40mm rims? Half the price of Enve 

at half the price of the enve its still double the price of the pyga trail wide and its local :clap: , the pyga has a 30mm internal width though which is still frikken wide.

unfortunately i dont have any feedback on your actual question though.;

at half the price of the enve its still double the price of the pyga trail wide and its local :clap: , the pyga has a 30mm internal width though which is still frikken wide.

unfortunately i dont have any feedback on your actual question though.;

how much are the trail wides?

Difference in width is 4mm (internal) and whilst it may not sound like much, it really is. 

how much are the trail wides?

Difference in width is 4mm (internal) and whilst it may not sound like much, it really is. 

yeah i know the 4mm makes a huge difference but a 30mm internal is still plenty wide, last i checked the Pyga's are 5k a rim( depending on where you buy from of coarse) but even if they are 6k it means for less than 1 enve rim you can get a set of Pyga's laced to a set of hope evo 2 hubs with tires.

yeah i know the 4mm makes a huge difference but a 30mm internal is still plenty wide, last i checked the Pyga's are 5k a rim( depending on where you buy from of coarse) but even if they are 6k it means for less than 1 enve rim you can get a set of Pyga's laced to a set of hope evo 2 hubs with tires.

Is that per RIM, or entire wheel? In which case the Derbys are pretty much the same at $380 per rim. 

27.5/650b x 40mm AM Wheel Set - Chris King BLACK hubs

$1,545.00

Chris King ISO Hubs - Black anodized hub color option. 15mm front axle. Rear 142 x 12mm rear axle. Shimano/SRAM 10/11 speed free hub options. Extremely Fast 72-click engagement.

Black Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes, silver Sapim 14mm alloy nipples. 32 spokes, 3-cross.

1795 grams.

Delivered with Orange Seal valves and rim tape installed, and free sample 4oz Orange Seal tubeless sealant.

27.5/650b x 40mm AM Wheel Set - Chris King BLACK hubs

$1,545.00

Chris King ISO Hubs - Black anodized hub color option. 15mm front axle. Rear 142 x 12mm rear axle. Shimano/SRAM 10/11 speed free hub options. Extremely Fast 72-click engagement.

Black Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes, silver Sapim 14mm alloy nipples. 32 spokes, 3-cross.

1795 grams.

Delivered with Orange Seal valves and rim tape installed, and free sample 4oz Orange Seal tubeless sealant.

Remember those are CK hubs - which are poooooes expensive. So if you order the rims, get some Hope hubs locally and get Wyatt to lace them and build them for you then you'll be looking at a FAR lower end build price. 

Edited by Renaissance Man

Remember those are CK hubs - which are poooooes expensive. So if you order the rims, get some Hope hubs locally and get Wyatt to lace them and build them for you then you'll be looking at a FAR lower end build price. 

That's the plan, thanks for the feedback, where did your mate buy from? 

direct. Iwan Kemp on here. Drop him a message and see if he can point you in the right direction.

Yip, also want to get them direct from the States. 

Ok...65 pages of tyre information. :eek:

I like bikes and tyres, but even thats a bit much for me.

So, i hope you don't mind me asking a question that has probably been answered, but as i am riding again in 2 days and it will take me 4 to read this entire thread, i am going to be a knob (thats a tyre joke) and ask the question:

I have 650b Nobby Nic EVO tyres on my Cube 140mm travel bike.

I dont like them. They keep getting punctures from silly little thorns that are so soft, they should not be giving punctures. 

I am not a weight weeny, Don't really mind too much on the weight of a tyre combo. 

I am looking for something a bit sturdier with thicker sidewalls. 

Suggestions?

So, i hope you don't mind me asking a question that has probably been answered, but as i am riding again in 2 days and it will take me 4 to read this entire thread, i am going to be a knob (thats a tyre joke) and ask the question:

I dont like them. They keep getting punctures from silly little thorns that are so soft, they should not be giving punctures. 

I am not a weight weeny, Don't really mind too much on the weight of a tyre combo. 

Suggestions?

Same company, but the Snakeskin versions of these are a COMPLETELY different animal to the stock standard non snakeskin versions. 

Alternatively the WTB Vigilante & Wolverine work as a very good combo, as does the Onza Ibex & citius. 

Suggestions?

WTB 2.4 trail boss on the back and a WTB 2.35 Vigalante up front, they are rather pressure sensitive though. stick like crap on velcro when right but feel dodgy when not, am running mine at 1.9bar at the back and 1.6 up front. works for me.

Suggestions?

There really is no straight answer to this as there are as many variables as there are posts in this thread. However, I ride with nothing thinner than a tyre with schwalbe Super Gravity casing on the rear. They do weigh around 1kg per tyre but that is just something I am willing to live with to have a bomb proof tyre. The 4 ply side walls also allow for even lower pressures.

My current setup is Schwalbe Rock Razor Trailstar Super Gravity on the rear with a Schwalbe Magic Mary Trailstar Super Gravity on the front.

Suggestions?

Currently running WTB Vigilante 2.3 F.  Wolverine 2.2 R. Will probably replace with same when the time comes, which will be the first repeat tyres in all my years of cycling. Only other tyres I'd consider would be onza Ibex F and Canis R (which will be a repeat as well).