AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Phoned around Pta & Jhb, seems like no one stock these Magic Mary super gravity tires? Need one for the Dustin Rudman event this weekend.

Would a Maxxis Minion DHR II also do the trick?

Just to guide your approach wrt buying schwalbe tyres: the performance range is the lowest of the low when it comes to schwalbe tyres (there.s one level lower but its reserved for wheelchair and shopping cart tyres).

In terms of carcass formulations, there's performance, then Evolution (EVO), evo snakeskin and then super gravity.

It's the latter two that you are looking for. The basic evolution line and lower doesn't offer any sidewall protection against cuts and gashes, which is where EVO snakeskin comes in. The snakeskin tech is Schwalbe's means of offering the protection you needed. But the snakeskin only covers the sidewalls, meaning it does not extend to the treaded portion of the tyre.

That's where the Supergravity carcass comes in: the whole tyre, from bead to bead, has a lay of snakeskin protection.

Just another thing to note, often misunderstood by many: snakeskin does not offer puncture protection. It's intended protection against tears and cuts. Punctures from sharp pointed objects will still puncture the tyre, as it will with every other tyre out there no matter the 'tech' applied to mitigate it.

For puncture protection, Schwalbe sometimes offers their tyres with DD 'technology', or double defense. This includes a special layer under the treaded portion to increase puncture resistance, something snakeskin cannot, does not, and never was intended to offer.

If you want similar sidewall protection from Maxxis, choose the EXO version. As with Schwalbe's EVO snakeskin carcass, it only protects the sidewalls. I don't know if maxxis has a version of their carcass, like the schwalbe supergravity casing, where EXO protection extends across the whole tyre, bead to bead.

Hope that helps you make a more informed purchase.

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In order of 'toughness' regarding casings:

Schwalbe: Performance 

Maxxis: Non-EXO TR

Schwalbe: Snakeskin TL Easy

Maxxis: EXO/TR

Schwalbe: Super Gravity

Maxxis: DD (Double Down)

On top of that, Schwalbe and Maxxis offer selected tires in DH casing,

My advice would be to get a faster rolling but tougher (Super Gravity/DD) tire for the rear like Rock Razor, Nobby Nic, Aggressor, Ardent, DHR II....

And then a lighter casing grippy tire for the front  (Snakeskin/EXO) like Magic Mary, Hans Dampf, DHF, High Roller, or even Onza Ibex or Citius 

Looking for opinions on a new tyre.

I am currently running the Ibex (F) Canis ® combo (both 2.25) and recently put a hole into my relatively tired looking Canis. So it's time for a new tyre!

I am going to keep the Ibex and my thinking is to put this on the rear and then either get a 2.4 Ibex or Citius for the front. What are the opinions out there? Citius or Ibex? My riding is primarily the trails around Tygerberg and I'm not overly stressed about the drag of the Ibex out back.

The alternative is to keep the Ibex on the front and run a Maxxis Aggressor on the rear.

Let me know you opinions. Thanks

Citius is the one I'd go for. Ibex is a rad tyre for the back, especially in the 2.25 guise. Properly ramped knobs for lower rolling resistance, and has a great centre knob profile for good braking performance. I was really surprised when I put it on the rear of my Reign. Pedalled really nicely. Citius is their grippiest tire, and whilst I haven't used it yet I think it's a better front tyre than the Ibex for WC conditions. I found the Ibex to be a bit lacking in the grip department, personally. May be that it was just at the wrong pressure, but I just wasn't as confident in it as I am on the Magic Mary.

DEFINITELY go for the 2.4 version. 

Citius is the one I'd go for. Ibex is a rad tyre for the back, especially in the 2.25 guise. Properly ramped knobs for lower rolling resistance, and has a great centre knob profile for good braking performance. I was really surprised when I put it on the rear of my Reign. Pedalled really nicely. Citius is their grippiest tire, and whilst I haven't used it yet I think it's a better front tyre than the Ibex for WC conditions. I found the Ibex to be a bit lacking in the grip department, personally. May be that it was just at the wrong pressure, but I just wasn't as confident in it as I am on the Magic Mary.

DEFINITELY go for the 2.4 version. 

Agreed on the Ibex lacking a bit grip wise, especially in the loose. Occasionally it produces just that small bit of slip when being lent, just enough to bring out the fear jerk response as it feels as if it's letting go and going to slide. It's worse at higher pressure but even when low (I run it at 21 PSI) it still has that slight slip when the surface gets a bit loose. At least that's been my experience.

Sweet, the Citius looks like a winner for the front!

• 1 month later...

I'd agree with the comments on tyre choices by Capricorn and ALLMTB above. I have just had a short love affair with a Rock Razor Snake Skin. Its done less than 1000km and I am afraid we have to part ways. My observations.

1. Doesnt hold air quite as well as my DHR2's;

2. Casing seems weaker than an HD Snakeskin I have used before;

3. Suffered 3 punctures on the weekend. Second time I was running 30 psi and managed to hole the tread and sidewall in one impact. It was a harsh impact into the sharp corner edge of a curb stone on a green belt trail. Managed to plug both even the one on the tyre bead...

4. I think this tyre is slightly too flexible and needs a stiffer casing. I was having to run higher pressures than the DHR from the start. So maybe EXO is  abit better than Snakeskin. 

5. Grip and speed were great both up and down hill - the side knobs work very well and braking and climbing traction were fine.

So, will a SG version solve my problems? Anyone know where to find Maxxis 26er AM/DH tyres, in SA that is?

Edited by Headshot

Just to guide your approach wrt buying schwalbe tyres: the performance range is the lowest of the low when it comes to schwalbe tyres (there.s one level lower but its reserved for wheelchair and shopping cart tyres).

In terms of carcass formulations, there's performance, then Evolution (EVO), evo snakeskin and then super gravity.

It's the latter two that you are looking for. The basic evolution line and lower doesn't offer any sidewall protection against cuts and gashes, which is where EVO snakeskin comes in. The snakeskin tech is Schwalbe's means of offering the protection you needed. But the snakeskin only covers the sidewalls, meaning it does not extend to the treaded portion of the tyre.

That's where the Supergravity carcass comes in: the whole tyre, from bead to bead, has a lay of snakeskin protection.

Just another thing to note, often misunderstood by many: snakeskin does not offer puncture protection. It's intended protection against tears and cuts. Punctures from sharp pointed objects will still puncture the tyre, as it will with every other tyre out there no matter the 'tech' applied to mitigate it.

For puncture protection, Schwalbe sometimes offers their tyres with DD 'technology', or double defense. This includes a special layer under the treaded portion to increase puncture resistance, something snakeskin cannot, does not, and never was intended to offer.

If you want similar sidewall protection from Maxxis, choose the EXO version. As with Schwalbe's EVO snakeskin carcass, it only protects the sidewalls. I don't know if maxxis has a version of their carcass, like the schwalbe supergravity casing, where EXO protection extends across the whole tyre, bead to bead.

Hope that helps you make a more informed purchase.

Instead of reading and trying to understand all of that can I just PM you when I want to buy tires and you tell me what to get? I don't think I'll ever understand Schwalbe's grading system.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

the SG carcasses have 4-ply sidewalls including a snakeskin layer compared to the non-SG carcasses. That makes SG sidewalls quite a bit stiffer, stiff enough that I once didn't realize i had essentially atmospheric pressure in my front tyre when i left home, until a turned a corner, and the tyre went all squishy..

Edited by Capricorn

Instead of reading and trying to understand all of that can I just PM you when I want to buy tires and you tell me what to get? I don't think I'll ever understand Schwalbe's grading system.

hahaha. you are too kind. When we going for a road schlepp?

hahaha. you are too kind. When we going for a road schlepp?

I'm keen. Loving the roadie. This weekend I'm helping out with the DH race at Paarl tho.

But I have to tell you. I have a saddlebag. Apparently that's a style faux pas.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Onza Citius a more of a dry specific tire.

Depends on the compound. But no. All conditions. It's their Magic Mary / Minion etc.

http://onza-tires.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/gpr40.png

VISCO COMPOUND GRP40

High performance GRP40 compound with extra self-damping properties. VISCO polymer structure, specially developed for gravity application. Ultra-high grip on difficult and wet terrain.

Field of Application: Enduro Racing / Freeride / Downhill Racing

http://onza-tires.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/onza_tech_rubber_24_RC2_45a.gif

DUAL COMPOUND / RACING COMPOUND 45A / 55A

Combination of two different compounds. 55a for low rolling resistance and long-life on the inside and 45a on the outside for perfect cornering grip. This compound offers best performance for competition riding.

Field of Application: Downhill Race

http://onza-tires.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/onza_tech_rubber_24_RC2_55a.gif

DUAL COMPOUND / RACING COMPOUND 55A / 65A

Combination of two different compounds. 65a for low rolling resistance and long-life on the inside and 55a on the outside for perfect cornering grip in all conditions.

Field of Application: Downhill Training

I'm keen. Loving the roadie. This weekend I'm helping out with the DH race at Paarl tho.

But I have to tell you. I have a saddlebag. Apparently that's a style faux pas.

wait till you see the caravan i got hitched out back :P

Depends on the compound. But no. All conditions. It's their Magic Mary / Minion etc.

http://onza-tires.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/gpr40.png

VISCO COMPOUND GRP40

High performance GRP40 compound with extra self-damping properties. VISCO polymer structure, specially developed for gravity application. Ultra-high grip on difficult and wet terrain.

Field of Application: Enduro Racing / Freeride / Downhill Racing

http://onza-tires.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/onza_tech_rubber_24_RC2_45a.gif

DUAL COMPOUND / RACING COMPOUND 45A / 55A

Combination of two different compounds. 55a for low rolling resistance and long-life on the inside and 45a on the outside for perfect cornering grip. This compound offers best performance for competition riding.

Field of Application: Downhill Race

http://onza-tires.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/onza_tech_rubber_24_RC2_55a.gif

DUAL COMPOUND / RACING COMPOUND 55A / 65A

Combination of two different compounds. 65a for low rolling resistance and long-life on the inside and 55a on the outside for perfect cornering grip in all conditions.

Field of Application: Downhill Training

Ok because I want one for the front and I will keep the ibex on the rear,the Ibex does not like the wet too much. The Ibex is quite pressure sensitive.