Those two come to mind off the bat.

Had any experience with the Datmoor?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I've had two sets on my trail bikes and about to build another for my jump bike.

They are fairly light, nice internal width and they are strong. Mine have taken a good amount of abuse and never let me down.

Indeed, I've had two sets on my trail bikes and about to build another for my jump bike.

They are fairly light, nice internal width and they are strong. Mine have taken a good amount of abuse and never let me down.

Ok cool. What about running them tubeless?

Ok cool. What about running them tubeless?

A few layers of duct tape for rim tape and as good as any other tubeless setup.

The rims have 4 little holes on the inside, two on either side of the join. I assume they are used when joining the two ends of the rim in manufacturing. as long as your duct tape/rim tape is cut wide enough to cover these holes you will have no hassles at all.

The rims have 4 little holes on the inside, two on either side of the join. I assume they are used when joining the two ends of the rim in manufacturing. as long as your duct tape/rim tape is cut wide enough to cover these holes you will have no hassles at all.

Great, will be sure to check them out. Any chance you could post a pic of them on your bike. Sorry for all the questions man, just trying to get a good idea :-)

I also have a set of Dartmoor Raiders and have really enjoyed them. Good width with decent strength, eyelet spoke holes and also decent weight all accounted for.

Tape them up properly and all is good. Mine are set up with tape and Bontranger plastic rim strips (had it in the garage so used it) .... been able to run low pressures successfully on them.

Bike set up is a steel long travel HT and it has covered some decent trails.

post-5403-0-08591700-1446402228_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-83890400-1446402242_thumb.jpg

I also have a set of Dartmoor Raiders and have really enjoyed them. Good width with decent strength, eyelet spoke holes and also decent weight all accounted for.

Tape them up properly and all is good. Mine are set up with tape and Bontranger plastic rim strips (had it in the garage so used it) .... been able to run low pressures successfully on them.

Bike set up is a steel long travel HT and it has covered some decent trails.

Thanks for the feedback. Was just concerned about the tubless setup but seems its not a problem if taped up correctly.

Bike looks really cool with them on.

We have the 26" Dartmoor rims in stock. Can't get Spikes anymore... have a couple of 26"Subrosas in green or gold.

In fact all of Diald's stuff like Five Tens, 661 etc will be available at The Trailhead this week.

Ok guys, I have some feedback on the latest set of tires I have fitted to my Nomad and how they have performed.

While I have had no real issues for everyday riding on my WTB setup (this being a trail boss on the back and a vigilante up front) I have now come to the conclusion that they are just plain **** for enduro/ technical type of riding!!

My reason for this is the basis that I have had many falls where the front tire has crept while cornering and on several occasions let go completely. Yes I know this may be a skills issue but it is an issue none the less.

With this in mind and the fact that we were attempting the Trailworx big Air event over the weekend I decided to pull the trigger and give the ONZA Ibex tires a go.

I fitted an Ibex 2.25 FRC on the rear and an Ibex 2.4 EDC up front. The EDC is the Downhill version so the rubber is very tacky.

my first few runs on the DH coarse at Trailworx I was tentative as I did not know the tires, but after that all my reservations were left behind, these tires are pure magic. Never in my 7 years of mountain bike riding have I felt more confident on my bike. The tires never even once left me feeling like they were creeping or were even close to letting go. In fact I felt like I was cheating I had so much grip.

I cornered harder than I have ever done before and found myself leaning hard into berms in order to get a faster time thanks to the grip. I confidently pinned every single corner I could find including the off camber stuff which generally makes me very nervous.

Over rocks, loose sand and hard pack they performed exactly the same and left me confident to just plain ride the damn bike.

for every day riding they are very slow with a high rolling resistance though and I did struggle to peddle however if I was to fit a faster rolling tire on the rear with the 2.25 up front I am sure it would be  good combination that would leave me with confidence for every day riding.

If you are looking for a new front tire that grips to the trail like welded steel I would highly recommend the Ibex!!

Ok guys, I have some feedback on the latest set of tires I have fitted to my Nomad and how they have performed.

While I have had no real issues for everyday riding on my WTB setup (this being a trail boss on the back and a vigilante up front) I have now come to the conclusion that they are just plain **** for enduro/ technical type of riding!!

My reason for this is the basis that I have had many falls where the front tire has crept while cornering and on several occasions let go completely. Yes I know this may be a skills issue but it is an issue none the less.

With this in mind and the fact that we were attempting the Trailworx big Air event over the weekend I decided to pull the trigger and give the ONZA Ibex tires a go.

I fitted an Ibex 2.25 FRC on the rear and an Ibex 2.4 EDC up front. The EDC is the Downhill version so the rubber is very tacky.

my first few runs on the DH coarse at Trailworx I was tentative as I did not know the tires, but after that all my reservations were left behind, these tires are pure magic. Never in my 7 years of mountain bike riding have I felt more confident on my bike. The tires never even once left me feeling like they were creeping or were even close to letting go. In fact I felt like I was cheating I had so much grip.

I cornered harder than I have ever done before and found myself leaning hard into berms in order to get a faster time thanks to the grip. I confidently pinned every single corner I could find including the off camber stuff which generally makes me very nervous.

Over rocks, loose sand and hard pack they performed exactly the same and left me confident to just plain ride the damn bike.

for every day riding they are very slow with a high rolling resistance though and I did struggle to peddle however if I was to fit a faster rolling tire on the rear with the 2.25 up front I am sure it would be  good combination that would leave me with confidence for every day riding.

If you are looking for a new front tire that grips to the trail like welded steel I would highly recommend the Ibex!!

Awesome, thats exactly how I feel about the Onza Ibex. Still contemplating changing the rear one though to somthing more climbing friendly.

Ahoy 

Here is a question for the tire experts.

I have been scrolling through the 68 pages of tire info but have yet to come up with a definitive answer...

I am looking for a tire combo that. I ride mostly in the Tygerberg hills region with the odd mission to Stellenbosch (Jonkers, g-spot) and Wellington. I am looking for an AM tire that has great overall grip over hard-pack, loose and rocky with the occasion loamy and mud conditions. 

Cornering grip needs to have a nice linear transition from straight line grip to cornering grip (i.e no dramatic jump in grip as I lean into the corner). I am still learning the limits of how far I can lean before eating dirt. 

Currently running a WTB Wierwolf 2.5 upfront and a WTB Exiwolf 2.35 on the rear on my 160mm Santa Cruz Nomad. Both are excellent tires and wish to keep them but I want to convert to tubeless and I might need to purchase new tires. These are both non tubeless and have seen some action already. Still plenty of tread on the Front but the rear is showing some wear. 

Just looking to be steered in the right direction for the right tire. Any advice?

Apologies for the small essay...

Edited by rusted_knees

There is no perfect tyre. There's always some trade-offs. But you since you did not mention weight, I'm assuming its not a priority for you. Then off the bat, i'd recommend schwalbe magic mary and schwalbe rock razor as a front rear tyre combination. Both in trailstar compound and both super gravity (excellent sidewall support for low tyre pressure operation as well as excellent cut/stab/shank protection of the sidewalls).

Trade offs are price, higher wear rates due to massive amounts of grip offered by these tyres. Availability is another problem.

Another worthwhile tyre would the Maxxis High Roller II, 3C EXO maxxterra.

Excellent grip in a variety conditions with good mud shedding capabilities due to the tread arrangement. It does not (in my experience) have a sketchy transition from middle to side knobs as the first generation High Roller has. This due to Maxxis using the same side knob pattern and profiling as used on their venerated Minion tyres.

Use them front or back.

forgot to add: your current tyres should be amenable to a tubeless conversion. Most tyres are, whether they state they are Tubeless Ready (TLR) or not.

Edited by Capricorn

Thanks for this!

I am tired of sliding out on my X king up front and was specifically looking at the Vigilante as a replacement. Maybe should look at the Ibex instead. My only concern is the high rolling resistance. Is there something in between that gives the best of both?

Thanks for this!

I am tired of sliding out on my X king up front and was specifically looking at the Vigilante as a replacement. Maybe should look at the Ibex instead. My only concern is the high rolling resistance. Is there something in between that gives the best of both?

Rolling resistance should be of least concern out in the front. Rear, yeah. Front - GRIPPPPPP!!!

Having said that, it rolls pretty darn well. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Rolling resistance should be of least concern out in the front. Rear, yeah. Front - GRIPPPPPP!!!

Having said that, it rolls pretty darn well. 

Makes sense.

So what about the 2.4 Ibex up front and 2.25 Vigilante rear?

Makes sense.

So what about the 2.4 Ibex up front and 2.25 Vigilante rear?

Could work. You're probably having trouble with the vigi due to the lower volume. They're reportedly a VERY good tyre. 

For when the Vigi wears out, I'd suggest an Onza Canis / Schwalbe Rock Razor for the rear... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew