AM tyres... what you running?

patches

So I ended up with a WTB combo of a Vigilante 2.3 front and Wolverine 2.2 in the back.

Running 1.8bar rear and 1.4-1.5bar front I weigh anything between 72kg and 75kg without any gear. so lets say 75kg...

less front scrub on hairpin twisty bits. up to 80 kg I would run 1.5 front and 1.8-1.9 rear.

Oh right, im way off on tyre pressure as to me 1.5 seems really low but then again i dont know too much on the subject.

I am going to give that recommendation a try. Thanks

Edited by AlanD

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure you have a friend with a camera nearby if you wanna do that

Why is that?

Spez's Slaughter tyre is optimized as a rear specific tyre. Thus, mada3400 finds it funny that someone suggested it be used back and front.

This is from Spez's website:

We've found that it's proper for rear usage, but it can also be ridden as a front.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/mtb-tires/all-mountain-tires/slaughter-grid-2bliss-ready

Frankly, I would never even consider it, but if you think you've got the skills and/or excess knee and elbow skin to try, go for it.

Spez's Slaughter tyre is optimized as a rear specific tyre. Thus, mada3400 finds it funny that someone suggested it be used back and front.

This is from Spez's website:

We've found that it's proper for rear usage, but it can also be ridden as a front.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/mtb-tires/all-mountain-tires/slaughter-grid-2bliss-ready

Frankly, I would never even consider it, but if you think you've got the skills and/or excess knee and elbow skin to try, go for it.

phew, you worded that way less offensively than I am capable of, thanks!

I think when spez say that it can be used as a front tyre, they mean it will fit on a rim that is laced to a front hub, but just because you can, doesnt mean you should.

Oh right, im way off on tyre pressure as to me 1.5 seems really low but then again i dont know too much on the subject.

I am going to give that recommendation a try. Thanks

it is definitely a feel thing. Maybe 1.6 feels better to you but you goto try and see what works. I rode 1.6 Front and 1.8 back with my Hans dampf Front and Nobby Nic rear...

Softer than that it felt like folding.

I once had Bontrager XR2 Team 2.4 front on my old 26er Trance and that would fold at 1.7 - not that it ever gripped - killed my confidence on that as I washed the front a couple of times - resulting in some land purchases...

it is definitely a feel thing. Maybe 1.6 feels better to you but you goto try and see what works. I rode 1.6 Front and 1.8 back with my Hans dampf Front and Nobby Nic rear...

Softer than that it felt like folding.

I once had Bontrager XR2 Team 2.4 front on my old 26er Trance and that would fold at 1.7 - not that it ever gripped - killed my confidence on that as I washed the front a couple of times - resulting in some land purchases...

Ok cool, get what you saying.

Have one more question, if I start at 1.5 at the front, do I pump it up to just over 1.5 to compensate for the burst of air that escapes when you take the pump connection off the valve, if you get what I'm saying or is that air loss insignificant? Sounds like dumb question ????

does anyone know anything about the conti protection casing? all i really care about is that it doesnt get punctures

dont tell me to "buy this schwalbe" or whatever, i already ordered them, just wondering what i bought before they arrive

all i really care about is that it doesnt get punctures

hahahah. good luck with that, irrespective of the brand.

does anyone know anything about the conti protection casing? all i really care about is that it doesnt get punctures

dont tell me to "buy this schwalbe" or whatever, i already ordered them, just wondering what i bought before they arrive

Funny I just came here randomly from the front page cause I saw it was active. I had conti x king rear mountain king front both with protection carcass. Honestly from day one they started losing tread blocks. By the time I retired them they had lost a lot of tread blocks. The sidewalls never failed me but I was uncomfortable with the tread blocks pulling off and honestly it looked kind of embarrassing. People would stare and try not to say anything but I knew what they were thinking.

Funny I just came here randomly from the front page cause I saw it was active. I had conti x king rear mountain king front both with protection carcass. Honestly from day one they started losing tread blocks. By the time I retired them they had lost a lot of tread blocks. The sidewalls never failed me but I was uncomfortable with the tread blocks pulling off and honestly it looked kind of embarrassing. People would stare and try not to say anything but I knew what they were thinking.

For what its worth. There are rumours that they have fixed the problem now. But how can you be sure you're getting fresh stock.

I did not have a good experience with Conti Protections but lots of people love them.  My Conti's didn't last a single ride but maybe it was jus bad luck.

There have also been many reports of the Conti sidewalls "leaking" and needing sealant to become properly airtight.

My recomm, if you don't want punctures, is buy the Specialized GRID tyres - heavy but indestructible.

I did not have a good experience with Conti Protections but lots of people love them.  My Conti's didn't last a single ride but maybe it was jus bad luck.

There have also been many reports of the Conti sidewalls "leaking" and needing sealant to become properly airtight.

My recomm, if you don't want punctures, is buy the Specialized GRID tyres - heavy but indestructible.

ive heard very inconsistent reviews on these contis, guess ill just have to hope they work for me

as for the spez tyres, i would really really dig a butcher slaughter combo, but its either impossible or almost impossible, depending on the tyre, to get them in 26" 

ive heard very inconsistent reviews on these contis, guess ill just have to hope they work for me

as for the spez tyres, i would really really dig a butcher slaughter combo, but its either impossible or almost impossible, depending on the tyre, to get them in 26"

impossible in S.A. to get those spaz tyres in S.A.. ....been searching for sometime now

I am dreading the day that I have to give up my WTB bronsons because I fear I may not be able to get another set. 26er tyres are looking harder to come by in the shops. Fortunately they are still being manufactured but it means a longer wait. And with the exchange rate the price of tyres is about to skyrocket.

I am waiting for the Butcher to come out in the grid casing for 27.5 but there is no stock yet,I have a Slaugher already and I must say its damn fast and grips remarkably well. It is a Dry to damp tire so only running it in the winter.