AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Would love to get the SG ones, only avail online self import at the moment probably nearer R1k a tyre I reckon, must be really nice being able to drop the press so low though.

This whole tearing knobs off, which seems to often happen at the base of the knob, is related to the underlying compound not the softer top compound, the softer compound is a relatively thin layer over the base compound which is the same on all the HDs incl the SG.

But to my original question, am I being dof not going trailstar on the front, seems not much wear difference over the pacestar on the front but noticeably grippier?

Speak to Capricorn he seems to have a magical touch when it comes to importing tyres at a good price.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my current front tyre (Magic Mary Trailstar SG) after almost a year of riding.

attachicon.gifMagic Mary Trailstar front tyre wear.jpg

No doubt the Magics seem to hold together better than the HD or even the Muddy Mary.

I will try and post a photo of Ben's front tyre later, he is out and about on it three or four times a week (and not travelling slowly either) and it still looks brand new.

Being twenty something kilos has its advantages when it comes to tyre wear.

Edited by marko35s

What compound is that tyre?

Trailstar. But thebetter question would be: which year model. each new iteration is bringing an improvement to one or other aspect. For instance, one of the big improvements going from Muddy Mary to Magic mary was increased supported offered by teh sideknobs. In the muddy, it was prone to folding over. Now it doesn't as easily. Great for us,but it does mean higher stresses where the knob attaches to the carcass. No surprises on the tearing then. But the 2014 Magic is proving better than the 2013 Magic.

The big change for 2015 in general is Tubeless Easy. I have two here, but waiting for a tyre failure before changing to them. 

Edited by Capricorn

What compound is that tyre?

Super gravity trailstar but the big thing is the rider is 25ish kilos.

He is pretty fast but it looks like weight is the bigger factor in determining tyre damage.

Edited by marko35s

Ben's annoyingly fresh Magic Mary after six months or so of use.

attachicon.gifDSC_0101.jpg

looks like he just dosed a brand new tyre in some dust...<_<

but yes, mass and riding style plays a massive role in tyre wear. Lighter but vrek fast, or heavier but slightly slower: the tyre doesn't know the difference as the forces acting on the knobs are the same.

Super gravity but the big thing is the rider is 25ish kilos.

He is pretty fast but it looks like weight is the bigger factor in determining tyre damage.

Edit. Ok you've added it is trail star compound, min wear, does he do some long distance rides aswell?

That's the conclusion I've come to as well, it must be heavily influenced by the riders weight because some people have no issues for virtually the life of the tyre and others rip knobs in a ride or 2.

Edited by Skylark

looks like he just dosed a brand new tyre in some dust...<_<

but yes, mass and riding style plays a massive role in tyre wear. Lighter but vrek fast, or heavier but slightly slower: the tyre doesn't know the difference as the forces acting on the knobs are the same.

I was watching him last week and he is just so light on the bike, he basically floats over everything.

He is only going to get faster now he has decided to target Myles Strava times [emoji1]

That isnt bad at all.

I will post mine (the HD's though) tomorrow. They are DONE!

I was good this year so I hope Santa brings me tyres!

Yours have lasted quite well though, saw somewhere on another thread you mentioned your trailstars frt and back have lasted over 2500km?

I was watching him last week and he is just so light on the bike, he basically floats over everything.

He is only going to get faster now he has decided to target Myles Strava times [emoji1]

dang. its been a long time since i've seen the lad, much less ridden with him. We must meet up some time :)

Edit. Ok you've added it is trail star compound, min wear, does he do some long distance rides aswell?

That's the conclusion I've come to as well, it must be heavily influenced by the riders weight because some people have no issues others rip knobs in a ride or 2.

I'm using the Muddy Mary SG Trailstar and although it looks more like the pics posted before this one it still offers fantastic grip.

Close to a year of riding and it looks like this -

post-43909-1417598021,3247.jpg

dang. its been a long time since i've seen the lad, much less ridden with him. We must meet up some time :)

Been meaning to call but hell you know where to find us lol. Give me a shout any time, you can see the latest version of my bike, it's much improved. I'm not but you can't have everything.

And Myles has taken Ben's challenge on board...

Edited by marko35s

I'm using the Muddy Mary SG Trailstar and although it looks more like the pics posted before this one it still offers fantastic grip.

Close to a year of riding and it looks like this -

attachicon.gif

that's still pretty good. Tearing starting on the side knobs (looks like my HR II), but not ripping off. Plenty of life left in that tyre. Ride it till it breaks.

Skylark: if there was performance indicator based on Cost in rands per km, then Schwalbe wont be for you. Or that's the impression I'm getting.

Best grip = slower rolling = highest wear = likely highest cost per km. Its a fact that's as inescapable as it is inevitable.

I, along with Marko was quite fortunate to have purchased those Magic Mary's at fantastic prices: shipped to our doors marginally more than your most recent purchase price.

Been meaning to call but hell you know where to find us lol. Give me a shout any time, you can see the latest version of my bike, it's much improved. I'm not but you can't have everything.

And Myles has taken Ben's challenge on board...

orly? can i watch while Myles overcooks it? :P

orly? can i watch while Myles overcooks it? :P

Oh yes.

This all started when he realized I wasn't a challenge anymore (now 20 plus seconds behind him on Vasbyt) and he spotted that Myles is around 3 seconds ahead of him.

I have advised Myles to make the best of it because when Ben hits twelve or so I can see him being somewhat faster [emoji1]

At the moment I have scaled back his riding time because between athletics, swimming, road running, riding, hockey and scouts he is busy seven days a week.

Plus it gives me a little extra practice time...