AM tyres... what you running?

patches

27.5x2.3"

Edit: I have been contemplating going xking front and back for the Kzn series. Shouldn't be any hectic terrain and they are fast rolling.

I want a Slaughter in 29er but no luck,if it is damp at a place like Karkloof which is first up that Xking is gonna struggle,that places clay and pine needles are slippery. That is why I want a Mountain King or as you said I need to find a trail king. Just remember we are in summer now and we have had a lot of rain. Edited by MariusKlokie

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a Slaughter in 29er but no luck,if it is damp at a place like Karkloof which is first up that Xking is gonna struggle,that places clay and pine needles are slippery. That is why I want a Mountain King or as you said I need to find a trail king. Just remember we are in summer now and we have had a lot of rain.

Give Lynwood a call, I'm sure they could order you a 29 slaughter. Sounded like they can when I spoke to them today. From what I understood the butcher and slaughter should be available from today.

I would steer clear of the mountain king, following a mate of mine at giba last week and saw him loose the front three times in about an hour. We weren't pushing hard.

Give Lynwood a call, I'm sure they could order you a 29 slaughter. Sounded like they can when I spoke to them today. From what I understood the butcher and slaughter should be available from today.

I would steer clear of the mountain king, following a mate of mine at giba last week and saw him loose the front three times in about an hour. We weren't pushing hard.

Will go and see Concept here in Durbs.

Will go and see Concept here in Durbs.

If they can't hook you up give me a shout, I am in Kzn quite often.

Hoping to test the new rig at giba and karkloof before kzn Feb if all pans out.

If they can't hook you up give me a shout, I am in Kzn quite often.

Hoping to test the new rig at giba and karkloof before kzn Feb if all pans out.

what did you get?

Nice did you get it from Diald

I did. I am still waiting for it though. It was a pre-order story. They were supposed to ship in December but everyone has been closed until today. Hopefully it will be here within the next week.

I did. I am still waiting for it though. It was a pre-order story. They were supposed to ship in December but everyone has been closed until today. Hopefully it will be here within the next week.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Been running 2015 Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snakeskin 2.35'' TL-Easy PaceStar rear/Trailstar Front for over a month now. Confidence inspiring grip, virtually no sidewall squirm, fast rolling(as fast as I've ever expected a tyre to roll), very easy to mount tubeless with zero sidewall leaks. Holds air like a bauws!

Trailstar compound is very soft, front tyre is already showing signs of the tread tearing/shredding to come and its not seen much mileage or hard riding, can cut the tread with my thumbnail. Trailstar is only for those that have to have maximum grip or alternatively just have money to burn, not for those wanting decent longevity, in that case get Pacestar front and back.

A word of caution, no amount of amazing grip(except I suppose a tyre made with monster tread for the loose stuff) can keep a bike upright on loose gravel, don't go testing a tyres limits on loose sand/gravel, you will see your ass just like any other tyre :whistling:

Edited by Skylark

Been running 2015 Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snakeskin 2.35'' TL-Easy PaceStar rear/Trailstar Front for over a month now. Confidence inspiring grip, virtually no sidewall squirm, fast rolling(as fast as I've ever expected a tyre to roll), very easy to mount tubeless with zero sidewall leaks. Holds air like a bauws!

Trailstar compound is very soft, front tyre is already showing signs of the tread tearing/shredding to come and its not seen much mileage or hard riding, can cut the tread with my thumbnail. Trailstar is only for those that have to have maximum grip or alternatively just have money to burn, not for those wanting decent longevity, in that case get Pacestar front and back.

A word of caution, no amount of amazing grip(except I suppose a tyre made with monster tread for the loose stuff) can keep a bike upright on loose gravel, don't go testing a tyres limits on loose sand/gravel, you will see your ass just like any other tyre :whistling:

From my experience. DO NOT run a pacestar up front! Grip is non existant!

From my experience. DO NOT run a pacestar up front! Grip is non existant!

heard this from other riders too who have run that.

heard this from other riders too who have run that.

if you play around with pressure abit, the grip is actually very impressive. Had a NN in pacestar upfront for a very long time. The reason I changed was to get something with a larger volume, as I did hit the rim a few times because of the lower pressure. SG casing can largely negate sidewall roll/collapse and the dings if you drop the pressure. But its not necessary. I ran that NN at reduced pressure without it being an SG casing. 

Edited by Capricorn

if you play around with pressure abit, the grip is actually very impressive. Had a NN in pacestar upfront for a very long time. The reason I changed was to get something with a larger volume, as I did hit the rim a few times because of the lower pressure. SG casing can largely negate sidewall roll/collapse and the dings if you drop the pressure. But its not necessary. I ran that NN at reduced pressure without it being an SG casing. 

I am with you on this :thumbup:

Run the same pacestar in front, with 1,7 bar and the grip is top.

I cant wait for the Schwalbe ProCore system to be available, this will bring grip to a complete new level.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/procore_presentation_video

Yeah. but from initial reports from the top guys the strong sidewalls are still very much of a concern If you're fast or big, due to the ridling at speed in the corners. Some of them have had to increase pressure slightly to combat the dreaded tire roll.