Buying a custom wheel build from CRC

Mojoman

Has anyone here bought a custom wheel build from CRC? With the prices of wheelsets from LBS's being sky high, I would like to go this route with CRC but am more worried about the standard of the wheelbuild and if it will survive shipping?

Pick me! pick me!

I've had wheels built by CRC.

My DH wheelset was built by them, and they did a top class job! The only hitch to a CRC build is that it will delay your order by 7-10 working days (not sure if that's still the time frame). But otherwise... YES! thumbs up for CRC builds!

Pick me! pick me!

I've had wheels built by CRC.

My DH wheelset was built by them, and they did a top class job! The only hitch to a CRC build is that it will delay your order by 7-10 working days (not sure if that's still the time frame). But otherwise... YES! thumbs up for CRC builds!

Thanks, and when you got the wheels you could just fit them and off you go or does a LBS have to true them up or anything? I see I can get a much better deal from CRC then I seem to be able to find from the LBS's, everyone seems to want to sell me a top of the range set which is great, except I dont have that kind of cash!

Who is the best okes to use locally to build up a lekka wheelset? (in Gauteng)

Brad Illingworth used to be one of the best. Not sure now...

Johan Bornman (yellow saddle) without a doubt.

H built me a set that have taken a significant hammering and have been nothing but a pleasure. I am aware of a number of wheels he has built that have taken years of abuse wiyhout failing.

However, don't ask him for a fan belt or petrol if you are short of cash. You will get a well executed klap to the ear :) :)

Edited by eddy

You'll get raped on the charge for spokes though... Them things are FORKIN expensive here...

Yup! here the labour seems to be cheaper (depending where you go)... but our spoke prices are heavy... so it works out more locally.

If you know the exact spoke length you could order those (along with hubs, rims and nipples) from CRC then get locally built

Spokeworks are the best wheel builders up here, call Ruan on (082) 4121689. He's amazingly knowledgeable and will help you choose the right set for your weight, riding style and bike, and he has 650b rims in if you're so inclined. He's also the only guy in SA I can find with the insanely beautiful white industries hubs, check them out.

Johan Bornman (yellow saddle) without a doubt.

H built me a set that have taken a significant hammering and have been nothing but a pleasure. I am aware of a number of wheels he has built that have taken years of abuse wiyhout failing.

However, don't as him for a fan belt or petrol if you are short of cash. You will get a well executed klap to the ear :) :)

Only if he is bigger than you .. .otherwise ask away.

I got my custom wheels from CRC. They unfortunately arrived with a broken spoke which was possibly courtesy of Jhb Int post handling. Wasn't really a problem to sort out myself but it would have been nice if they weren't damaged on arrival.

Had a set of36 spoke disk hubs (DMR Revolver) built on Sun Ringle Mammoth rims for our MTB Tandem built in 2006. We are not aggressive riders but a quite heavy Tandem team. The rims has never had any truing done, broken spokes or any other problems. I will do it again.

Rims/wheels that cannot withstand shipping will also not be suitable on your bike.

Brad Illingworth used to be one of the best. Not sure now...

You'll get raped on the charge for spokes though... Them things are FORKIN expensive here...

Rekon if u have the rims hubs & spokes Greg illingworth will prob do it although he mostly does bmx.

Think its usually R350.00 per wheel (locally) for spokes,i was told if i buy the spokes locally they wont charge for lacing up.