[Event] To HELL & BACK MTB 2 Day Stage Race

EcoBound MTB Events

Event Name: To HELL & BACK MTB 2 Day Stage Race

When: 17 November 2012 - 18 November 2012

Where: Oudtshoorn, Western Cape

Category: MTB

The original multi-stage MTB event in SA!! Limited entries are available. The route includes the longest mountain pass in SA. Entry includes a tour of the historic Gamkaskloof Valley (The Hell). Total distance is 120km over two days and 3700m accumulated climbs.

Go to Event Page

Edited by EcoBound MTB Events

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Event Name: To HELL & BACK MTB 2 Day Stage Race

When: 17 November 2012 - 1 January 1970

Where: Oudtshoorn, Western Cape

Category: MTB

The original multi-stage MTB event in SA!! Limited entries are available. The route includes the longest mountain pass in SA. Entry includes a tour of the historic Gamkaskloof Valley (The Hell). Total distance is 120km over two days and 3700m accumulated climbs.

Go to Event Page

Is this "To Hell and back" or merely "back to the future" ? :)

Just entered. So do they take a bag for you once you get there? Like for a shower then a change of clothes and stuff? Looks like fun. Heard you can go there and back in one day.. Let's do this one first then see about that.

Edited by Top Fuel

Just entered. So do they take a bag for you once you get there? Like for a shower then a change of clothes and stuff? Looks like fun. Heard you can go there and back in one day.. Let's do this one first then see about that.

You start off just down the road from the Kango Caves at De Hoek resort where the trucks take your luggage from you. You'll see guys loading deck chairs, full cool boxes, bags, crates, basically anything you want to take along. In Die Hel you'll find showers and a chill zone. For dinner you'll braai your own chop and wors with your fellow riders on one of the many braai fires in the race village. The bar usually runs dry by Sunset, so some opt to bring their own beer along. The ride up Swartberg is only the start. The "rollers" from there down to Die Hel will finish off what Swartberg started. The next day you start with that climb out of Die Hel and finish off at De Hoek. Same way you came in basically. Collect your stuff at De Hoek and head back home in time for Carte Blanche on Sunday evening.

You start off just down the road from the Kango Caves at De Hoek resort where the trucks take your luggage from you. You'll see guys loading deck chairs, full cool boxes, bags, crates, basically anything you want to take along. In Die Hel you'll find showers and a chill zone. For dinner you'll braai your own chop and wors with your fellow riders on one of the many braai fires in the race village. The bar usually runs dry by Sunset, so some opt to bring their own beer along. The ride up Swartberg is only the start. The "rollers" from there down to Die Hel will finish off what Swartberg started. The next day you start with that climb out of Die Hel and finish off at De Hoek. Same way you came in basically. Collect your stuff at De Hoek and head back home in time for Carte Blanche on Sunday evening.

Cool thanks for the info. Sounds like a good ride.

The next day you start with that climb out of Die Hel and finish off at De Hoek. Same way you came in basically.

Depending on how heavily you contributed to the bar running dry before sunset ... and then being surprised by clever friends that were prepared and had more beer!

It can be quite daunting, standing at the start the next morning, squinting through bloodshot eyes, trying to see if that dirt road snaking up that little climb ever ends!

The last 18km that you basically freewheel to finish makes up for it though!

:thumbup: Awesome ride, Awesome vibe! :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

I'll be doing my first one - I'm also scared :unsure:

exactly why I am getting nervous :blush: :unsure:

Edit: PS it's my first multi day, so any tips welcome regarding race day (i doubt if training advice will be of much help now)

Edited by fanievb

exactly why I am getting nervous :blush: :unsure:

Edit: PS it's my first multi day, so any tips welcome regarding race day (i doubt if training advice will be of much help now)

:D you know how to choose them!! I think I would've opted for something a little easier.... personally :rolleyes:

anyway, my advice is simple:

Day 1

1. Get on your bike and pedal
  2. When you can't pedal anymore get off your bike and push
  3. When you've recovered enough get back on your bike and pedal some more
  4. repeat steps 1-3 until you finish
  5. lie in the shade and drink beer

Day 2

Repeat above steps

My 2c's:

Try to ride every day, even if it is only for 1 to 1.5 hours. It will teach your body to recover overnight. Aim for 3 days, 1 day rest. If you can manage to ride more than 3 days in a row, that will of course be better.

Practice long, steady climbs.

On the day, enjoy the views!

My 2c's:

Try to ride every day, even if it is only for 1 to 1.5 hours. It will teach your body to recover overnight. Aim for 3 days, 1 day rest. If you can manage to ride more than 3 days in a row, that will of course be better.

Practice long, steady climbs.

On the day, enjoy the views!

Apparently the views are worthwhile....

post-2276-0-76934900-1350027991_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...