2012 thehubsa TdF competiton

Frosty

I'm with SwissVan here.

Crashing is part of racing and Grand Tours.

Although the rules state:

"Should one of your selected riders crash out of the tour, due to a bunch crash, or outside influence (a vehicle bumping him into a barbed wire fence), and they're unable to continue, the your first choice substitute will be allowed to replace the rider from the next stage and score points from that stage onwards." I think we need clarification on some aspects of this.

What constitutes a bunch crash? How many riders?

When does the departing rider need to withdraw? How many stages grace will be allowed between the crash and the withdrawal?

Does your own team car constitute "outside influence"? Or a police raid ala Festina in 2008? Or Saunier Duval/Astana team withdrawals due to team members doping but not the selected rider?

You guys are being way too ANALytical about something really simple.

Rider crashes out ... he's replaced by a sub!

That's it!

If you played last year or any other years before, you would have lost riders during the tour ... loads.

Unlike some other Tdf games, our game does not allow for any changes to be made after the start on Saturday. Which is fully understandable, it will be a full time admin job for poor old Frosty.

With the subs being allowed ... you don't end up totally shafted ... like you wouldhave if you had only 5 instead of 9 riders cross the finish line in Paris.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question, and this is because I haven't read the whole fred...

But if I'm only picking 9 riders, how are you going to know who my subsitute is? And how many subs are we allowed?

I have a question, and this is because I haven't read the whole fred...

But if I'm only picking 9 riders, how are you going to know who my subsitute is? And how many subs are we allowed?

you pick 9 riders and 3 subs....

so 12 riders... but specify which are subs.

you pick 9 riders and 3 subs....

so 12 riders... but specify which are subs.

Thanks! :thumbup:

EDIT: I just realized I had a total blonde moment and that it was in one of the first posts! I'll blame it on being red in color! :blush:

Edited by Disylizzy

Tankers you guys are complicating issues by modifying an event that has never allowed substitutes before...... KISS and that's it

Frostygerald I suspect will regret this anal modification

Let's see how the substitution rule works.

Looks good to me.

As far as I know, the winner does not take a 90 K road bike home.

So, let's play!

No, puncheur, a better prize than that I suspect if the rumours are true!

a years free subscription to www.thehubsa.co.za ?

The biggest admin for me is the number of changes everyone is making before the start - [said with tongue in cheek :whistling:]

The idea of the substitute rule is to keep it interesting for as people as possible until the end of the tour.

A substitute can only be used if:

• a rider crashes, and has to withdraw immediately from the crash - it the rider gets back on the bike and pedals then he no longer qualifies;
  • is shown on TV for all to see;
  • is not the rider's fault - he happens to be in the wrong place at the time;
  • more than one person is involved in the crash - solo crashes do not qualify, unless it's from an outside influence (like a dog running onto the course) and the above conditions can be met;
  • IF [small word, big meaning] a vote is required, a 67% majority is required to settle any dispute, and the decision is final.

Points are only valid from the next stage, i.e. a rider crashes on stage 5, his substitute will only score points from stage 6 onwards.

All other rules then apply to that sub-rider.

You cannot pick which sub to use, it's first come first serve - the rider top of the list will be the first sub.

If you think anything else should be added to this, please make it known on the thread - no PM's

I'm with SwissVan here.

Crashing is part of racing and Grand Tours.

Although the rules state:

"Should one of your selected riders crash out of the tour, due to a bunch crash, or outside influence (a vehicle bumping him into a barbed wire fence), and they're unable to continue, the your first choice substitute will be allowed to replace the rider from the next stage and score points from that stage onwards." I think we need clarification on some aspects of this.

What constitutes a bunch crash? How many riders? 2 or more, providing the person did not cause the crash, unless it was something outside the race

When does the departing rider need to withdraw? How many stages grace will be allowed between the crash and the withdrawal? The rider cannot continue after the crash

Does your own team car constitute "outside influence"? No!! has to be a neutral vehicle (neutral as in non-team) from "outside" the race.

Or a police raid ala Festina in 2008? Or Saunier Duval/Astana team withdrawals due to team members doping but not the selected rider? No!!

Outside influences include the following scenarios that I remember:

1. that car that caused Johnny Hoogerland to crash - although he did continue, but the incident was "unfortunte".

2. Wiggens, van den Broeck, Vinokourov were all involved in a "bunch" and couldn't continue.

3. Daryl Impey was pulled down into the barriers (Tour of Turkey), although he finished - but it wasn't his fault.

4. The usual sprint finishes in most races, when there's a crash in the final 3Km, and a number of riders go down. If they don't finish then they qualify you a sub.

The biggest admin for me is the number of changes

I'm guilty of that, team is final now ,thanks gerald

(i just had to take the yank out of my team)

Horner, oh no!

:whistling:

Yeah bud, just pulling your leg!!

Wonder if the sudden talk of withdrawals due to the Olympics is making people think twice about their team line up.